What grades needed for Syracuse/Brooklyn/Albany DA/PD

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What grades needed for Syracuse/Brooklyn/Albany DA/PD

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:01 am

What kind of grades would someone from a lower top 14 need to get a job with a DA or PD in a location such as Syracuse, Albany, or Brooklyn? Would they be able to land a position if they were below median?

BeenDidThat

Re: What grades needed for Syracuse/Brooklyn/Albany DA/PD

Postby BeenDidThat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:What kind of grades would someone from a lower top 14 need to get a job with a DA or PD in a location such as Syracuse, Albany, or Brooklyn? Would they be able to land a position if they were below median?

General TLS wisdom for this kind of thing is that: it depends on ties & demonstrated interest in the subject matter. Moreover, government hiring is a huge mess right now.

I'll cede the floor for someone with better experience with the offices in question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:06 am

Problem with government hiring is that people are not leaving like they used to. Due to the high cost of tuition the reibursement plan offered by the govt has many staying on for a full 10 years. That, coupled with the mess of government as mentioned above makes these jobs difficult to determine. While I am not sure, what I have heard is that dedication to the position, as through courses, internships, location, etc... weighs more heavily than school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:33 pm

My problem is while I have ties to the area and can demonstrate an interest in criminal law through my clinics and course selection I have a 3.2 gpa. Not sure how much that is going to hurt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My problem is while I have ties to the area and can demonstrate an interest in criminal law through my clinics and course selection I have a 3.2 gpa. Not sure how much that is going to hurt.

Typically, demonstrated commitment has been more important than grades. However, Brooklyn sent out a kind of scary acknowledgement-of-application email talking about extending "far fewer" offers this year than in years past.

Return to “Legal Employment”