What about careers in journalism?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What about careers in journalism?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:07 pm

What kind of career paths are available for someone in law school who may be interested in journalism as well? I really would take a shitty pay if it meant working at the New York Times for example, i.e. I would rather be paid 40k doing something interesting rather than doc review at shit law.

Anyone have any idea?

[going anon because some know who I am by TLS acct and don't want to advertise my fail].

Ty Webb

Re: What about careers in journalism?

Postby Ty Webb » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:10 pm

$40k and working at the New York Times?

Try $23k, no benefits, and covering church picnics in Rockland County.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:19 pm

lol, still sounds better than current law jobs. I interviewed the other week and during the interview he's like "yeah our starting salary is $10/hr but it could go up depending on performance." Sure, it was a spring internship in D.C. But for gods sake, wtf?

Just saying if I'm going to make 10 bucks an hour I might as well be covering a picnic instead of sitting hunched on a computer typing memos and doing doc review like a slave.

EDIT: Also benefits are overrated when you're below 40 yrs old. I take my health insurance for a doctor's checkup, and they go "$X copay due now" followed by a bill for the rest, and you realize that the health insurance only cut about half the $150 bill. In the meantime, you only go to the doctor once every 10 years and you're paying $50-$100 a month for that crap.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:EDIT: Also benefits are overrated when you're below 40 yrs old. I take my health insurance for a doctor's checkup, and they go "$X copay due now" followed by a bill for the rest, and you realize that the health insurance only cut about half the $150 bill. In the meantime, you only go to the doctor once every 10 years and you're paying $50-$100 a month for that crap.
That just means you have shitty coverage. Nothing (and I mean nothing, including prescriptions and being admitted to the hospital) costs me more than a $10 copay, except an ER visit, which is $75. EDIT: and my monthly premium is $28 for med/vis/dent.

Unfortunately, I'll be giving that coverage up when I quit my job to go to LS, and sign up for the school's lameass blue cross plan that only covers 80%.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:24 pm

^ Not really. It depends on what you have, what kind of doctor you visit, and what kind of tests you do. Health insurance is pretty fucked up in this country.

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Postby Odd Future Wolf Gang » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:34 pm

I have a friend who graduated from Columbia's J-School. She's unemployed, bro. Oh and also in debt, though not as bad as law school debt I guess.

You could try to be this guy though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Abrams

But yeah a NYT gig would be pretty nice lol.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:45 pm

Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:I have a friend who graduated from Columbia's J-School. She's unemployed, bro. Oh and also in debt, though not as bad as law school debt I guess.

You could try to be this guy though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Abrams

But yeah a NYT gig would be pretty nice lol.

Look who "that guy"'s father is:
http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/ ... 611/161313

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:49 pm

You should look into packaging subprime mortgage derivatives, or maybe TV repair.

How could you pick the one worse career than lawyer?

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Postby Odd Future Wolf Gang » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:56 pm

Lol didn't even see that. Okay you can try to be Savannah Guthrie on the Today Show!

GULC grad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_Guthrie

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:41 pm

So you want to jump from a contracting profession to a collapsing one?

I'm serious. Journalism is dying; there's little money in it anymore. Most newspapers made their money on print ads, and Craigslist pretty much decimated their revenue. Massive layoffs and underemployed experienced workers mean the job market is flooded, and any opening for a job with a livable wage (or even less) ends up intensely competitive.

Also, saying you want to work for the NY Times is like a 0L saying they want to work at Wachtell. The Times is the industry pinnacle and a great resume line for anyone, and people will make huge sacrifices to take an opportunity to work there. Worse, even they're struggling financially, and they've made a few rounds of layoffs as they shrink to survive. You can't just show up and expect to get a regular job there.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:45 pm

vanwinkle wrote: Journalism is dying; there's little money in it anymore...
Also, saying you want to work for the NY Times is like a 0L saying they want to work at Wachtell.

All this. I fucking burned my leg laughing my coffee up when I read the thread title.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:34 pm

I know someone who recently graduated from a "top journalism graduate school" (as if that means anything). He is the only person in his graduating class who was able secure a job as a journalist (i think he said there were at least 40 people in his class). He works for a shitty paper and makes like 25k a year or something.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:56 pm

vanwinkle wrote:So you want to jump from a contracting profession to a collapsing one?

This x100. Offhand, I can't think of a worse industry to try and go into than journalism.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:31 pm

shock259 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:So you want to jump from a contracting profession to a collapsing one?

This x100. Offhand, I can't think of a worse industry to try and go into than journalism.

1) Coal-powered train engineer

2) Typewriter repair

3) Asbestos installer

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:02 pm

shock259 wrote:

Maybe the postal service? But yeah, print journalism is dying for sure.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:09 pm

Renzo wrote:
shock259 wrote:

1) Coal-powered train engineer

2) Typewriter repair

3) Asbestos installer

4) Buggy whip manufacturer

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:16 pm

If you can't get a law firm job you most likely will not get a top journalism job. You need the same set of skills to get ahead there, in other words, you need to be better than the competition.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:43 pm

MrAnon wrote:If you can't get a law firm job you most likely will not get a top journalism job. You need the same set of skills to get ahead there, in other words, you need to be better than the competition.

Might be the worst attempt at reasoning I've heard today. Congratulations.

Return to “Legal Employment”