1L Summer - How "Legal" does it have to be? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer - How "Legal" does it have to be?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:43 pm

I was offered a paid internship with the investigative department in the office of the inspector general of an international non-profit org. Now I know some T14 schools actually set up externships with this organization but through their legal department (which goes over validity of contracts and such) which right now is not an option for me. The OIG is run by attorneys or former attorneys from all over the world and they mainly investigate fraud based on anonymous tips and whistle blowers. I was told by someone who works there that the connections I could make there would would be very valuable regardless of what area of law I wished to practice in the future.

My question: Is this too far removed from the 'legal world'? Would this put off future firms? My goal as of now is to land a 2L SA, but this opportunity seems amazing and I think it'd be pretty cool. Thanks

ben4847

Silver

Re: 1L Summer - How "Legal" does it have to be?

Post by ben4847 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:49 pm

Make sure it's legal. For 2 reasons.
A. At interviewing next fall, you will be talking about your summer experience a lot, and it's nice to talk about the memos and briefs you drafted, not about the people you helped.
B. You could use the practice on research and writing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:49 pm

I think they understand the current 1L options.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was offered a paid internship with the investigative department in the office of the inspector general of an international non-profit org. Now I know some T14 schools actually set up externships with this organization but through their legal department (which goes over validity of contracts and such) which right now is not an option for me. The OIG is run by attorneys or former attorneys from all over the world and they mainly investigate fraud based on anonymous tips and whistle blowers. I was told by someone who works there that the connections I could make there would would be very valuable regardless of what area of law I wished to practice in the future.

My question: Is this too far removed from the 'legal world'? Would this put off future firms? My goal as of now is to land a 2L SA, but this opportunity seems amazing and I think it'd be pretty cool. Thanks
No it's fine and if you can really make valuable connections through it and get paid it makes sense to take it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:05 pm

ben4847 wrote:Make sure it's legal. For 2 reasons.
A. At interviewing next fall, you will be talking about your summer experience a lot, and it's nice to talk about the memos and briefs you drafted, not about the people you helped.
B. You could use the practice on research and writing.
Heres the thing they work closely with the prosecutors office. Although they don't actually prosecute, they're responsible for pretty much pretty much all of the investigation and handing it to the prosecutors office.

And I encourage more answers like yours, because I feel the same way, but on the other hand I feel like this is a great opportunity to turn down. And I'm def. far from your typical "non-profit do good for the people" kind of person. But the work and people I could meet really intrigue me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:12 pm

I think this is borderline. A substantive, capital-L Legal Internship – where you'll be drafting memos and motions, doing legal research, etc. – is probably the safest bet because it gives you some relevant experience and, I think more importantly, lets you speak intelligently about what you think you would or wouldn't like about firm practice. But a lot of legal internships can be boring and unsubstantial, and it's hard to know beforehand.

I think if you're otherwise a good candidate for a SA position next year (I guess meaning you're at a top school, since you don't have any grades yet), this sounds like a good opportunity. If you're more borderline, you might want to hold out for a purely legal position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:21 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I think this is borderline. A substantive, capital-L Legal Internship – where you'll be drafting memos and motions, doing legal research, etc. – is probably the safest bet because it gives you some relevant experience and, I think more importantly, lets you speak intelligently about what you think you would or wouldn't like about firm practice. But a lot of legal internships can be boring and unsubstantial, and it's hard to know beforehand.

I think if you're otherwise a good candidate for a SA position next year (I guess meaning you're at a top school, since you don't have any grades yet), this sounds like a good opportunity. If you're more borderline, you might want to hold out for a purely legal position.
:lol: Ninja edit

Lower t14 with strong ties (grew up/went to undergrad) to a secondary market in which I wish to practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”