Grades don't matter? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
c3pO4

Silver

Re: Grades don't matter?

Post by c3pO4 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:03 pm

I was making a broader point, that it's ridiculous. I live in the south and know tons of southerners who interviewed at NYC firms and it was no problem. I think firms look at you suspiciously if it's obvious you don't want to be in their market, not if you aren't necessarily from there.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:09 pm

If your resume screams a different region, NYC firms are definitely going to ask why NYC and not DC, or Chicago, or the South, or the West Coast, or wherever it seems like your resume is geared towards. But, the thing with NYC is, it's generally easier to come up with reasons than if your resume was West Coast centric and you were interviewing for Texas or the South.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 pm

It's actually relatively easy to say a reason for NY.

I would basically say word for word "I want to work in NY because I want a career that matters and NY is where you go to establish yourself and actually become relevant in the legal industry. I didn't come to law school to work on deals valued in the millions and I certainly would not be happy with a legal career that didn't let me work with and work against the best."

Partners/Associates would eat this up and many would echo the same sentiment for their own career paths. That's all you have to say.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:16 pm

I think being at a school that's NYC centric helps. Me and DF are not. I definitely said all that stuff.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:17 pm

Grizz wrote:I think being at a school that's NYC centric helps. Me and DF are not. I definitely said all that stuff.
Yea I'm from Chicago, go to school in Chicago, and say the word pop. NYC firms figured (rightly so) I was using them as backup.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”