Grades don't matter? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Grades don't matter?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:28 pm

So I am an unemployed 3L at a 6T with good grades, and as I sit here studying for finals I am not really sure why I am bothering. My grades do not seem to have really profited me at all, unless you count allowing me to transfer to the T6 and incur an extra 80K in student loans. Anyone else out there having a similar sense of what the fuck is the point?

prezidentv8

Gold

Re: Grades don't matter?

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I am an unemployed 3L at a 6T with good grades, and as I sit here studying for finals I am not really sure why I am bothering. My grades do not seem to have really profited me at all, unless you count allowing me to transfer to the T6 and incur an extra 80K in student loans. Anyone else out there having a similar sense of what the fuck is the point?
Welcome to your third year of law school.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:19 pm

Wait.....you are unemployed at one of HYSCCN and you have good grades?

I would like the hear more about this.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:20 pm

emkay625 wrote:Wait.....you are unemployed at one of HYSCCN and you have good grades?

this isn't unheard of dude. dozens of people are unemployed from those schools ITE. wouldn't be surprised if it was at least 10%

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:23 pm

I am not the only one, I know a non-negligible group of people in a similar place. I interviewed poorly during OCI, mass mailed too late. That is all it takes, you are done.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I am an unemployed 3L at a 6T with good grades, and as I sit here studying for finals I am not really sure why I am bothering. My grades do not seem to have really profited me at all, unless you count allowing me to transfer to the T6 and incur an extra 80K in student loans. Anyone else out there having a similar sense of what the fuck is the point?

Welcome to the legal profession. Where nothing succeeds like success and once you slip out of that slightly, you're fucked. My 3L year was my worst by far - a combination of spending a lot of time looking for a job and a general sense of "fuck this shit." 3L with a job lined up would have been a low-stress blast.

Don't worry. Everyone will be happy to tell you what you did wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:25 pm

emkay625 wrote:Wait.....you are unemployed at one of HYSCCN and you have good grades?

1) He is a transfer. Some employers do not treat transfers the same way.

2) It's possible for someone with good grades at at a T6 to end up unemployed.

OP: I am sorry for you; maybe you can try to get a clerkship?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:27 pm

Yeah, well on the bride side I have all government loans which means they discharge on death.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am not the only one, I know a non-negligible group of people in a similar place. I interviewed poorly during OCI, mass mailed too late. That is all it takes, you are done.
Can you be more specific?

Also, if you really do have top grades from HYSCCN, is academia possible? Is that route an option you could pursue OP?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:30 pm

I'm going to guess you are at N?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:34 pm

Like, I did not interview well. There are a million ways to do it badly, in my case I was too quiet and did not ask enough questions to appear engaged, etc. Ironically, my interviewing turned around so much I was getting complemented during my interviews as a 3L on my interviewing, but by that point it was too late.

As far as the Academy is concerned that turns more on ability to publish and get a clerkship. Since I struck out on the clerkship market I do not think it is a possibility.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, well on the bride side I have all government loans which means they discharge on death.
Ha, don't get so down. Being in debt in this country barely means anything. So, you won't be able to buy a house or an expensive car, but you can still buy booze and whatever other entertainment, which is what makes life fun anyway.

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:35 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:I'm going to guess you are at N?
Of course. I do not really care if I out myself, many people at my school know I am unemployed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:36 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, well on the bride side I have all government loans which means they discharge on death.
Ha, don't get so down. Being in debt in this country barely means anything. So, you won't be able to buy a house or an expensive car, but you can still buy booze and whatever other entertainment, which is what makes life fun anyway.
Yeah, and no financial security, can make getting married difficult, get to be poor for the rest of your life. No big deal.

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:38 pm

luthersloan wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:I'm going to guess you are at N?
Of course. I do not really care if I out myself, many people at my school know I am unemployed.
No part of my question was aimed as an attempt to out you. I'm a CCN transfer myself and was just trying to get more information to support the conclusion that while transferring to CC tends to be a good move, N is very hit-or-miss.

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:42 pm

I did not mean to imply you were trying to out me, just that answering your question might out me. I am not really sure how the point holds generally though, I mean 90-95% of the transfer class probably is employed, that is did better than the regular NYU student. The numbers might be better at CC, but I doubt they are that much better. Also, the students who transfer to those schools probably have stronger credentials, so you would need to disentangle the two effects.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:57 pm

Sorry for your predicament, but you've got to keep looking and applying. Only one thing is certain, and that's if you give up, you won't succeed. I won't bullshit you and tell you that you have a good chance at getting a good jerb, but the only way you'll have any job is if you keep hustling.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:00 am

Shit, here I was thinking I would magically get a job. Now I have to look for one? What the hell. Like, thanks but that is kind of obvious, no?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:00 am

For some reason, 0Ls are always incredulous to hear about people with good grades who strike out at OCI.

Best of luck, OP.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:15 am

luthersloan wrote:Shit, here I was thinking I would magically get a job. Now I have to look for one? What the hell. Like, thanks but that is kind of obvious, no?
Yup, but the OP sure looked like a cry for help.

Assuming you're OP, I guess it was just misery looking for company? Whatever.

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:23 am

I really was not trying to "cry for help" I was more bitching about the pointless of caring about grades at this point, and observing the irony that in a way my good grades have done me more harm than good.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:29 am

luthersloan wrote:Shit, here I was thinking I would magically get a job. Now I have to look for one? What the hell. Like, thanks but that is kind of obvious, no?
I thought he was just being encouraging; saying things like, keep going at it and hustling! don't give up!

I don't think he was trying to inform you of a new job-searching tactic that you had not previously thought of lol.

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:33 am

Of course that is what he was doing, my point is I am not sure what the point of doing that is, particularly in the context of an online message board. Also, it was sort of tangential to my point.

KeepitKind

Bronze

Post by KeepitKind » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:38 am

that sure is a nice perk, but what do you have on the groom side?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:44 am

I'm in a VERY similar situation to the OP right now. I feel your pain buddy (assuming you're a guy). Running around looking for a job after striking out at OCI really brought down my 2L fall grades and I'm also wondering whether 3L grades will really matter much at this point. For what it's worth, I'm actually in a much better place (mentally that is) than I was a year ago. At this point, I'm just trying to enjoy myself a lot more while putting in an honest, though not over the top, effort. Something tells me you're in a similar state of mind now, past the stages of despair and moving more towards apathetic acceptance of the shitty situations we're in at this point. Hope things work out for ya OP, gl.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”