compensation at google

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

compensation at google

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:18 pm

Lawyers at Google...
Does it pay market? Lockstep by year? or something else?
(yes, I am aware they have other benefits too like free gourmet chefs)

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: compensation at google

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lawyers at Google...
Does it pay market? Lockstep by year? or something else?
(yes, I am aware they have other benefits too like free gourmet chefs)


There's no such thing as market outside of the context of a law firm. And since Google only hires experiences lawyers with varying years of experience, there's no concept of lockstep or class years.

The way compensation at Google works for all employees (including lawyers, but also all other employees), is there are different pay bands. Everyone in a band gets paid the same. You move up through bands not based on seniority (though maybe that's a factor), but mainly performance. There's no set formula for what band you come in as - it's based on years of experience, relevant skills, where the open position is, etc.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: compensation at google

Postby Renzo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:52 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Lawyers at Google...
Does it pay market? Lockstep by year? or something else?
(yes, I am aware they have other benefits too like free gourmet chefs)


There's no such thing as market outside of the context of a law firm. And since Google only hires experiences lawyers with varying years of experience, there's no concept of lockstep or class years.

The way compensation at Google works for all employees (including lawyers, but also all other employees), is there are different pay bands. Everyone in a band gets paid the same. You move up through bands not based on seniority (though maybe that's a factor), but mainly performance. There's no set formula for what band you come in as - it's based on years of experience, relevant skills, where the open position is, etc.


I would add that this is generally how in-house offices work. A GC's office might well hire two lawyers of the same biglaw class year, and make on the other's supervisor.

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: compensation at google

Postby c3pO4 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:57 pm

google doesn't hire entry level legal. when you come in at 5-10 years of biglaw exp, your salary will probably be lower but a blend of equity and widely dependent on your experience and a variety of other factors. the band system as explained above is accurate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: compensation at google

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:59 pm

Any estimation of how much the bands generally offer?
Ex. when google hires a 5th year associate from a law firm, do they pay a salary band ~5th year market rate?
Also, anyone know anything about working hours at google?

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: compensation at google

Postby c3pO4 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any estimation of how much the bands generally offer?
Ex. when google hires a 5th year associate from a law firm, do they pay a salary band ~5th year market rate?
Also, anyone know anything about working hours at google?


it's too variable and there's no way you can project five years from now. five years ago google was a very different company than it is now. googlers work pretty tough hours. not as tough as biglaw but its a startup culture and you work as hard as it takes to hit aggressive goals. can range from 50-70 hrs in slow weeks to much more. it's kindof a collegy atmosphere with the buses and campus / food structure. everybody i know who works there loves it, but is the type that likes working hard and being challenged.

TooOld4This
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:09 am

Re: compensation at google

Postby TooOld4This » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Expect to make less than you did as a first year BigLaw associate when you move to in house. If you are going to a larger company, you are probably looking at the $130-180k range for about 5+ years of experience. You aren't likely to crack $200k unless you are GC or AGC (close to C-level position) and even then it is likely that a large portion of your compensation is tied to company performance or given in options or restricted stock.

A quick Google search (how ironic) shows attorney salaries at Google reported between $120k-$170k-ish. That sounds about right.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: compensation at google

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:37 pm

Out here in Silicon Valley where Google is located, Google's compensation (at least for engineers) tends to be lower than other companies in the area, partly because of their benefits. So looking at Google salaries may not be comparable to other in-house positions.

3 in-house attorneys at a ~500 employee company that I know earn ~$175k base and are enrolled in the key employee program (key employees receive bonuses).

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: compensation at google

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Google cash comp actually tends to be lower than comparable positions at competitors, but they get better benefits. Also, at least in recent years equity-based compensation pushed actual comp way above competitors. Nobody can tell you if that will continue though.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.