FTC BCP v. BC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LawIdiot86

FTC BCP v. BC

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:27 pm

I might have the opportunity to do an internship with the FTC BCP. I really want to do antitrust litigation, corporate securities, or banking regulatory work. I have gotten the securities and banking sides up to snuff on my resume, but am still weak on the antitrust side (struck out shooting for DOJ/state/FTC-BC antitrust work). A lot of antitrust and consumer protection lawyers I know talk about the fields as being strongly related, but from my coursework, they couldn't seem more different. How would an FTC-BCP internship look to an antitrust lawyer? How easy is it to move from private sector consumer protection litigation to antitrust litigation?

Anonymous User

Re: FTC BCP v. BC

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:52 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:I might have the opportunity to do an internship with the FTC BCP. I really want to do antitrust litigation, corporate securities, or banking regulatory work. I have gotten the securities and banking sides up to snuff on my resume, but am still weak on the antitrust side (struck out shooting for DOJ/state/FTC-BC antitrust work). A lot of antitrust and consumer protection lawyers I know talk about the fields as being strongly related, but from my coursework, they couldn't seem more different. How would an FTC-BCP internship look to an antitrust lawyer? How easy is it to move from private sector consumer protection litigation to antitrust litigation?

BCP and BC are completely unrelated and there is very little substantive interaction between them at the FTC. You'd be better off doing general m&a or commercial work that has an antitrust component.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:43 pm

The actual work is completely different. Corporate securities and banking regulatory work are also very different than antitrust. Try to get an internship in one of those fields if you can't get something at FTC or DOJ.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:35 pm

bdubs wrote:The actual work is completely different. Corporate securities and banking regulatory work are also very different than antitrust. Try to get an internship in one of those fields if you can't get something at FTC or DOJ.

Yeah, I know those three fields are entirely different. I've already interned in those fields and would do it again, but I don't want to shut the antitrust door if I have a chance to get something in before graduation. Or I could just admit defeat in getting a job in those three fields and take something in consumer protection since it tends to hire at the lower end of the GPA curve for plaintiffs/small firm side.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:46 pm

At some point trying to keep as many avenues open as possible will hurt you. I've heard from my contacts that the antitrust enforcers appreciate people who are really interested in doing antitrust and have demonstrated that in a significant way. Not saying it's not possible, but perhaps it's just a case of too little, too late.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:55 pm

bdubs wrote:At some point trying to keep as many avenues open as possible will hurt you. I've heard from my contacts that the antitrust enforcers appreciate people who are really interested in doing antitrust and have demonstrated that in a significant way. Not saying it's not possible, but perhaps it's just a case of too little, too late.

I've heard that as well. I somehow managed to snag an interview at a V50 shop for their antitrust group and afterwards they said what killed me was that I had said I was willing to do corporate work when antitrust was slow in response to a flexibility question and that they wanted really dedicated antitrust people. I'm happy to commit to something for a permanent job, but I don't want to be too rigid and forgo jobs I would do in search of the perfect job.

Return to “Legal Employment”