How do clerks get jerbs????

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do clerks get jerbs????

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:13 am

I am currently a 3L and going to be starting a federal clerkship following this year. Was curious for anyone's experiences getting jobs out of a clerkship. Should I be thinking about applying now, or just punch it into cruise control and worry about it next year at this time when I have my bar results?

jonas

Re: How to clerks get jerbs????

Postby jonas » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:01 pm

For most stuff, it's too early to apply now. You'll apply in September/October next year for govt and nonprofit jobs, and later for firm jobs.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am currently a 3L and going to be starting a federal clerkship following this year. Was curious for anyone's experiences getting jobs out of a clerkship. Should I be thinking about applying now, or just punch it into cruise control and worry about it next year at this time when I have my bar results?

Well, you should have either applied earlier or later.

Some people do SAs in the summer after 3L but before their clerkship year. It's relatively rare, but most big firms will take 1-2 of them per year. You could try reaching out, but I assume that window is closed by now.

At this point, I'd say punch it into cruise control, then in August start either mass mailing or working it through career services.

Also, at some courts (e.g., the 2nd Circuit) firms who really like clerks will invite them to receptions.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:20 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am currently a 3L and going to be starting a federal clerkship following this year. Was curious for anyone's experiences getting jobs out of a clerkship. Should I be thinking about applying now, or just punch it into cruise control and worry about it next year at this time when I have my bar results?

For biglaw, you apply the winter of your clerkship year -- so the December or January after you graduate.

To be fair, I know people who applied last month and have a few offers in hand already. Maybe it's a Chicago thing.

Return to “Legal Employment”