Typo on 1L Resume

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Typo on 1L Resume

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:22 pm

Title says it all. I sent out a fairly large amount of resumes and cover letters today. The resume has a typo that I didn't notice until looking at it this evening. The word is off by two letters and actually correctly spells another word that looks a lot like the word I intended to spell. I suppose that's why it got by career services and spell check. Question is, should I send an updated resume with the correct word? I'm not even sure who will notice it and who won't. Freaking out about it a bit...

patrickd139

Re: Typo on 1L Resume

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Title says it all. I sent out a fairly large amount of resumes and cover letters today. The resume has a typo that I didn't notice until looking at it this evening. The word is off by two letters and actually correctly spells another word that looks a lot like the word I intended to spell. I suppose that's why it got by career services and spell check. Question is, should I send an updated resume with the correct word? I'm not even sure who will notice it and who won't. Freaking out about it a bit...

One theory is to not resend: If it's not noticeable, then you're fine. If it's noticeable, then they'll notice. Either way, you've got a shot that it won't be noticed. If you resend, then you definitely will draw attention to the fact that something is off.

On the other hand, if you're able to come up with some substantive change (like adding an award, scholarship, academic achievement, publication, etc.), then by all means, resend.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:29 pm

OP here. I have a publication section that was originally a publications and presentations section but took off the presentation. I could add the presentation back in as it was done at an academic conference. Would that be significant enough to update it? How would I phrase an update email to make it not sound like I'm a blithering idiot?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:31 pm

My writing sample (you know, that thing that is supposed to highlight that I don't make mistakes) had a blatant typo in the very last line. Luckily, it was ignored by most judges (seeing as I still got a bunch of interviews). I think they just skim the middle portion to see your citations, style, etc. Those who read the whole thing obviously saw it, though.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:32 pm

I agree with the above. From what I heard, lots of employers won't even consider your application until grades are out anway. When you get your transcript and update your application, you should resend your cover letter and resume anyway. At that point you can send a corrected resume and hope that they won't bother looking at the old one.
Last edited by bdubs on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:32 pm

Dear Sir or Madame:

Please accept this updated resume for your consideration.

Best regards,

Anonymous User

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:45 pm

It is true that I already received some responses asking for grades. I will send an updated resume and cover letter with the transcripts when they become available. However, without giving more information, I do know that some employers I applied to will consider interviewing candidates before grades are out. Is it suggested that adding a presentation to my resume would be enough to justify resending it? The question that raises in my mind is that an employer may wonder why I didn't include it the first time and cause there to be red flags anyway.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I really appreciate it.

Return to “Legal Employment”