PSA to 1Ls: take the credits, not the money

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IAFG

PSA to 1Ls: take the credits, not the money

Postby IAFG » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:06 pm

If you are sitting between getting paid some shit $10 an hour or getting 4 credits for the summer, take the credits. The money isn't worth more than being able to take a lighter load later.

Obviously if you are looking at real money at a firm or other legit employer that's different.

Re: PSA to 1Ls: take the credits, not the money

Postby 071816 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:15 pm

In all seriousness, thanks for the insight.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:35 pm

Last edited by Ludo! on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:56 pm

I got the best of both worlds. Split my summer with a judge (3 credits) and in-house ($20/hour).

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got the best of both worlds. Split my summer with a judge (3 credits) and in-house ($20/hour).

I took a part-time for-credit "job" and then more classes and am graduating a semester early now. Those credits were all auto-As too so my GPA got a good bump on top of it.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:16 pm

Some people would rather take the money and live frugally instead of taking out additional/unnecessary loans. Not really a valid point across the board.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:25 pm

At Wash U summer credits can't be applied to fall so you have to pay for them by the credit, and then still pay full tuition each semester

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:43 pm

seatown12 wrote:At Wash U summer credits can't be applied to fall so you have to pay for them by the credit, and then still pay full tuition each semester

You have to pay your school to work for free?! Wow that sucks

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:45 pm

IAFG wrote:
seatown12 wrote:At Wash U summer credits can't be applied to fall so you have to pay for them by the credit, and then still pay full tuition each semester

You have to pay your school to work for free?! Wow that sucks

At IU-B too.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:14 pm

leobowski wrote:Some people would rather take the money and live frugally instead of taking out additional/unnecessary loans. Not really a valid point across the board.

I know of two people who got s.h. over the summer, graduated early then started working early, and at the very least I will save a semester of COL, so this still sounds pennywise and pound foolish to me, if your goal is to maximize financial gain.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:47 pm

Oh well if you're talking about graduating early, then that's a different story.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:11 am

Wait what IAFG, u can graduate early from law school if u have enough credits?!?

Thats huge savings, why dont more people know about this... ( Altho I don't think I have it in me to take more than 3 classes a semester now haha)

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:20 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:Wait what IAFG, u can graduate early from law school if u have enough credits?!?

Thats huge savings, why dont more people know about this... ( Altho I don't think I have it in me to take more than 3 classes a semester now haha)

I still have to pay tuition, though I think this varies from school to school. In my case I will still be better off bc I won't have to pay rent in Chicago for a semester, and some people can either get employment in the gap or start at their firm early, so that can also be a financial game-changer.

That said, I think the flexibility is worth more than the piddling +/- $4,000 of either loans or wages, whether you use that flexibility to be in a better place financially or for something else.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:25 am

If you have weak ties to your target market, it might be important to secure a job in that market for your first summer, though. Also, if you have a definite interest in some part of law, like energy or tax or bankruptcy, it would be helpful to get a job in that area. Likewise for getting a job with a DA's office or a public defender's office or etc if your'e interested in prosecution/crim.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:31 am

NinerFan wrote:If you have weak ties to your target market, it might be important to secure a job in that market for your first summer, though. Also, if you have a definite interest in some part of law, like energy or tax or bankruptcy, it would be helpful to get a job in that area. Likewise for getting a job with a DA's office or a public defender's office or etc if your'e interested in prosecution/crim.

I know I didn't have any practice area relevant options on the table :? but the geography thing is a good point. Also the public defender thing.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:27 pm

IAFG wrote:
Nom Sawyer wrote:Wait what IAFG, u can graduate early from law school if u have enough credits?!?

I still have to pay tuition, though I think this varies from school to school. In my case I will still be better off bc I won't have to pay rent in Chicago for a semester, and some people can either get employment in the gap or start at their firm early, so that can also be a financial game-changer.

That said, I think the flexibility is worth more than the piddling +/- $4,000 of either loans or wages, whether you use that flexibility to be in a better place financially or for something else.

Ahhh I see, that makes sense then. Yeah but having an entire semester off is still a definite plus.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:12 pm

THis only makes sense if the student has a full ride. Otherwise they're paying $1-2k/unit. I have decided just to take the max fall/spring course loads so I don't have to pay extra for summer school.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:17 pm

shepdawg wrote:THis only makes sense if the student has a full ride. Otherwise they're paying $1-2k/unit. I have decided just to take the max fall/spring course loads so I don't have to pay extra for summer school.

At some schools, summer is free "included." I thought it was every school, but I have already been schooled.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:10 pm

IAFG wrote:If you are sitting between getting paid some shit $10 an hour or getting 4 credits for the summer, take the credits. The money isn't worth more than being able to take a lighter load later.

Obviously if you are looking at real money at a firm or other legit employer that's different.

Word.

I took 4cr Evidence over the summer

not only did it allow me to take a clinic second semester, but since the clinic is 12cr I am not going to ANY classes next semester, and I am not going to be behind anyone (as far as credits) as folks who didn't take credits.

Now obviously credits for a class is a different situation, but the end result of not having to take as many classes in the crunch time situations (like 2L) is pretty damn nice

Return to “Legal Employment”