How bad is the legal job market? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How bad is the legal job market?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:25 pm

I just learned that there are government internships in my state for law students (unpaid), but actual lawyers with degrees are ALSO taking these unpaid state govt internships in the hopes of getting something permanent down the road.
should i drop out of law school now?? I am at a T14 (1L, so I haven't taken exams yet).
I think I would end my life if I graduated law school and had to take an unpaid job!
I am tired of working for free. I will have no debt, but I can't see living with my parents after 3 yrs of law school.
PLease, this is much worse than I ever imagined. Say it isn't so! Anything positive out there?
My college major is Poli Sci, so it's not as if I'm a teacher and can go back to teaching. After I graduate law school, I think I'll be overly qualified for most entry level postions.
I am not even looking for megabucks...quite the contrary. I will be happy to take on any full time PAID job. But, I am beginning to think that a full time (even low paid job) will be a pipe dream.
I am seriously considering dropping out. This sucks big time.
HELP!

headandshoulderos

Bronze

Re: How bad is the legal job market?

Post by headandshoulderos » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:28 pm

nice

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:39 pm

Calm the fuck down. You are graduating from a T14 and will have no debt. If you don't screw around for the next 3 years and manage to get decent grades, you're guaranteed a BIGLAW or midlaw job (worst-case scenario = $100k starting salary).

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:41 pm

I know this is a troll because no one could be at T14 (potentially with a full ride) and think it's okay to write a post with a single hard return after every sentence. Try harder.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Calm the fuck down. You are graduating from a T14 and will have no debt. If you don't screw around for the next 3 years and manage to get decent grades, you're guaranteed a BIGLAW or midlaw job (worst-case scenario = $100k starting salary).

No debt and t14 would definitely lean in favor of not dropping out. You should at least do the 1L year and gauge potential employment at the start of 2L before you spend two more years of tuition. However...I don't agree that if you just "don't screw around" and get decent grades that you'll be fine. The worst-case scenario for you will not be $100k. The T14 is not immune from the shitty economy. and not every graduate is going to come out employed. But the no debt thing really does mean you have exponentially more options than others.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Calm the fuck down. You are graduating from a T14 and will have no debt. If you don't screw around for the next 3 years and manage to get decent grades, you're guaranteed a BIGLAW or midlaw job (worst-case scenario = $100k starting salary).
I have a feeling this poster and the OP are the same poster and we're being double trolled.

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:04 pm

I'm really into decision trees so I made a youtube decision tree for you:

(1) Get an SA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUmE-tne5U
(2) No SA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRMz8fKkG2g

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:08 pm

Definitely something like this:

--ImageRemoved--

headandshoulderos

Bronze

Post by headandshoulderos » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:22 pm

Omerta wrote:I'm really into decision trees so I made a youtube decision tree for you:

(1) Get an SA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUmE-tne5U
(2) No SA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRMz8fKkG2g
You need to add 1(a) Full time offer and 1(b) No-offer to your tree

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:32 pm

Bronte wrote:
I have a feeling this poster and the OP are the same poster and we're being double trolled.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:35 pm

Bronte wrote:
I am def not trolling and I definitely don't have a full scholly, but rather, parents who are paying tuition. BUT, they will definitely not pay my rent and support me after school. My only option would be to live at home which I don't want. My goal is to get a job and pay my own rent. Not sure I can do that ITE.
I read on tls that there are T14 grads doing part time work/doc review. I also need health insurance due to a chronic condition. So, I need to get any kind of full time job when I graduate.
I read posts about 1K applicants for the FDIC internship with only 25 called for interview!
I was simply hoping to get some honest answers about exactly how bad it is out there from 2L's and 3L's and recent graduates. What have your experiences been?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:36 pm

masterthearts wrote: I read posts about 1K applicants for the FDIC internship with only 25 called for interview!
Use your LR skills to figure out the assumption inherent in this statement.

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:25 pm

Why do people troll? I mean what the hell is the point?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:37 pm

Have you ever seen that youtube video of the guy running away from a donkey that eventually rapes him?

The job market is like that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:37 am

Michigan c/o 2011. Median grades. Can't find a paying job in the legal field and I'm far from alone in this.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just learned that there are government internships in my state for law students (unpaid), but actual lawyers with degrees are ALSO taking these unpaid state govt internships in the hopes of getting something permanent down the road.
Should I drop out of law school now?? I am at a T14 (1L, so I haven't taken exams yet).
I think I would end my life if I graduated law school and had to take an unpaid job!
I am tired of working for free. I will have no debt, but I can't see living with my parents after 3 yrs of law school.
PLease, this is much worse than I ever imagined. Say it isn't so! Anything positive out there?
My college major is Poli Sci, so it's not as if I'm a teacher and can go back to teaching. After I graduate law school, I think I'll be overly qualified for most entry level postions.
I am not even looking for megabucks...quite the contrary. I will be happy to take on any full time PAID job. But, I am beginning to think that a full time (even low paid job) will be a pipe dream.
I am seriously considering dropping out. This sucks big time.
HELP!
You know how I know you're a troll?

taxguy

Bronze

Post by taxguy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:59 am

The legal market now is horrible. NY alone is producting a surplus of 7500 lawyers a year! You really need to read the follow article:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/258744/ ... l-scam.htm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cattleprod

New

Post by cattleprod » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:17 pm

That is a joke, right?
There are plenty of T14 graduates at median (or above) who strike out and have nothing 9 months after graduation.
Even doc review jobs require experience these days because there are so many unemployed lawyers out there.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:50 pm

cattleprod wrote:
That is a joke, right?
There are plenty of T14 graduates at median (or above) who strike out and have nothing 9 months after graduation.
Even doc review jobs require experience these days because there are so many unemployed lawyers out there.
You may have missed the bolded. A lot of people screw around. Granted, saying "guaranteed" is too strong, but even then, the vast majority of T14 folks who don't screw around will have decent jobs.

Unless, of course, the economy decides to screw law school classes like it did to the Classes of 2010/2011.

Let me define my meaning of not screwing around: don't smoke a bunch of weed (which will fuck your memory up), go to class, do the readings, think about the law, and if you're confused on any points just ask the professor. And for god's sake, don't take law school as an opportunity to fight the power. Learn how legal thought works and apply it on finals. Don't dwell on the things you disagree with; just apply the law.
Last edited by BeenDidThat on Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

headandshoulderos

Bronze

Post by headandshoulderos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:52 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
cattleprod wrote:
That is a joke, right?
You may have missed the bolded. A lot of people screw around. Granted, saying "guaranteed" is too strong, but even then, the vast majority of T14 folks who don't screw around will have decent jobs.

Unless, of course, the economy decides to screw law school classes like it did to the Classes of 2010/2011
Screw around??? Vast majority??? Try less than half. And not due to "screwing" around.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:53 pm

headandshoulderos wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:
cattleprod wrote:
That is a joke, right?

Unless, of course, the economy decides to screw law school classes like it did to the Classes of 2010/2011
Screw around??? Vast majority??? Try less than half. And not due to "screwing" around.
Judging by how you write, you probably screw around a lot.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:56 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
cattleprod wrote:
That is a joke, right?

Unless, of course, the economy decides to screw law school classes like it did to the Classes of 2010/2011.

Let me define my meaning of not screwing around: don't smoke a bunch of weed (which will fuck your memory up), go to class, do the readings, think about the law, and if you're confused on any points just ask the professor. And for god's sake, don't take law school as an opportunity to fight the power. Learn how legal thought works and apply it on finals. Don't dwell on the things you disagree with; just apply the law.
Um, a lot of people do this and still don't get the jobs they want. I would say that at least half in the T-14 get the big law jobs they want, a chunk of the rest get good jobs, but there is a portion of each class that ends up doing something that is just not that great. Did my friends who hustled, networked, MM'd hundreds of firms, went to class, did readings, went to office hours, joined study groups, etc, did they "screw around"?

It's a numbers game. Some people are going to lose.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:04 pm

NinerFan wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:
cattleprod wrote:
That is a joke, right?

Um, a lot of people do this and still don't get the jobs they want. I would say that at least half in the T-14 get the big law jobs they want, a chunk of the rest get good jobs, but there is a portion of each class that ends up doing something that is just not that great. Did my friends who hustled, networked, MM'd hundreds of firms, went to class, did readings, went to office hours, joined study groups, etc, did they "screw around"?

It's a numbers game. Some people are going to lose.
Cool story, bro. Burn that straw man that you constructed! Ashes for everyone!
Last edited by BeenDidThat on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

headandshoulderos

Bronze

Post by headandshoulderos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:06 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:

nobody gives a shit about your judgment. so someone who "Screws around a lot" has a great vault SA lined up. i thought that meant i wouldnt have a decent job? your reasoning is about as good as herman cain's here.

ninerfan got it right. you can do everything right and still not get a job. you are in denial because it makes you feel better about yourself, but the numbers don't lie -- many in the T14 get biglaw, but it's not correlated with "screwing around" and it's not the vast majority.

itt: someone clearly doesn't understand the concept of a mandatory curve

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:09 pm

headandshoulderos wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:

nobody gives a shit about your judgment. so someone who "Screws around a lot" has a great vault SA lined up. i thought that meant i wouldnt have a decent job? your reasoning is about as good as herman cain's here.

ninerfan got it right. you can do everything right and still not get a job. you are in denial because it makes you feel better about yourself, but the numbers don't lie -- many in the T14 get biglaw, but it's not correlated with "screwing around" and it's not the vast majority.
"Decent job" includes things other than big law.

In fairness, the personal attack wasn't nice of me. But you have the analytical ability to understand what's being said. Why you don't exercise it is beyond me. The vast majority of T14 grads who don't screw around will get decent jobs. Not less than half.

Also, your bragging wasn't called for. You may want to go back re-think the conditional implied in my statement. Your reasoning is the one that's shitty. I'm gonna go back to studying. Toodaloo.
Last edited by BeenDidThat on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”