Diverse enough for diversity fellowship?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Diverse enough for diversity fellowship?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:05 pm

I've been looking at a lot of firms diversity fellowship programs for 1L's and trying to figure out if I could have a shot. I'm white, upper middle class from the burbs of a big city. But, I'm a Mormon, which is unique and certainly diverse. I served a two year mission to a third world country as part of this. Please don't make this a religious debate, but do you think I could have a decent diversity claim, or do they only like the more liberal traditional types of diversity (racial, LGBT, disability, etc.)?

Advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

NinerFan

Re: Diverse enough for diversity fellowship?

Postby NinerFan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've been looking at a lot of firms diversity fellowship programs for 1L's and trying to figure out if I could have a shot. I'm white, upper middle class from the burbs of a big city. But, I'm a Mormon, which is unique and certainly diverse. I served a two year mission to a third world country as part of this. Please don't make this a religious debate, but do you think I could have a decent diversity claim, or do they only like the more liberal traditional types of diversity (racial, LGBT, disability, etc.)?

IMO it's for URMs or LGBT type diversity, but that's pure spec. I think the Mormon argument is a weak one, though. I wouldn't consider that to be diversity.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:22 pm

I think it depends where you're applying. Obviously, this would be silly to send off to a firm in Utah, but maybe you have a shot with... somewhere that Mormons are under-represented?
Last edited by 20130312 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've been looking at a lot of firms diversity fellowship programs for 1L's and trying to figure out if I could have a shot. I'm white, upper middle class from the burbs of a big city. But, I'm a Mormon, which is unique and certainly diverse. I served a two year mission to a third world country as part of this. Please don't make this a religious debate, but do you think I could have a decent diversity claim, or do they only like the more liberal traditional types of diversity (racial, LGBT, disability, etc.)?

No.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:24 pm

What's the consensus (if there is one) on non-URM hispanics?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the consensus (if there is one) on non-URM hispanics?

Apply.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:26 pm

I doubt it. Firms want diversity because their clients want diversity, and I don't know that clients care that much about religious diversity. You can't tell you're a Mormon just by looking at you, and you probably shouldn't be discussing it with clients, so I just don't see how it would matter to a firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:29 pm

ph14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's the consensus (if there is one) on non-URM hispanics?

Apply.

Even if not dark skinded?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:31 pm

Mormons are not under-represented in biglaw. If anything, there's probably a disproportionately high number.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:33 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:I think it depends where you're applying. Obviously, this would be silly to send off to a firm in Utah, but maybe you have a shot with... somewhere that Mormons are under-represented?

OP here, yeah, def not Utah or Idaho. Other than that, we're under-represented mostly everywhere. 2% of Americans. I was thinking also along the lines that while Mormons are Christians, and Christians are the obvious majority in America, our lifestyle is very different than most Americans.

sasuke

Postby sasuke » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Apply.

Lol?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:40 pm

lol

no.

I mean sure, you can apply, I think most say "we accept more than racial diversity" so they can avoid a lawsuit or angry white people but you probably won't get it. I mean whats the name of the fellowship? If its like the "Martin Luther King Diversity Fellowship of Struggles and Discrimination" they aren't looking for you man.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:54 pm

sasuke wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Apply.

Lol?

Thanks?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:I think it depends where you're applying. Obviously, this would be silly to send off to a firm in Utah, but maybe you have a shot with... somewhere that Mormons are under-represented?

OP here, yeah, def not Utah or Idaho. Other than that, we're under-represented mostly everywhere. 2% of Americans. I was thinking also along the lines that while Mormons are Christians, and Christians are the obvious majority in America, our lifestyle is very different than most Americans.

That's not what "under-represented" means. If 2% of lawyers are Mormons, they're adequately represented in law.

But I think for firms, they're just looking for people who look like minorities.

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:03 pm

yeah, firms are looking for ethnic or LGBTQ or low-income minorities... i don't think i've ever heard of religious diversity being mentioned.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:24 pm

Does a straight guy claiming to be homosexual have a shot at diversity fellowships and scholarships? Is there some test that guys have to pass, or do they have to prove it somehow? If so, what proof would be required?

Postby 20130312 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Last edited by 20130312 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:29 pm

^ Umm... I can't imagine there's any sort of test, lol, but if you're straight don't claim to be LGBT just to be considered for diversity fellowships and scholarships.

Are non-URM minorities (Indian Asians, etc.) considered for "diversity fellowships" even if they're over-represented in law schools/the legal profession

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does a straight guy claiming to be homosexual have a shot at diversity fellowships and scholarships? Is there some test that guys have to pass, or do they have to prove it somehow? If so, what proof would be required?

All you have to do is never been seen with a woman for as long as you're interacting with people who could possibly find you out, including anyone who has ever read your résumé or firm bio.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^ Umm... I can't imagine there's any sort of test, lol, but if you're straight don't claim to be LGBT just to be considered for diversity fellowships and scholarships.

Are non-URM minorities (Indian Asians, etc.) considered for "diversity fellowships" even if they're over-represented in law schools/the legal profession

Yup - I got my 1L SA through a diversity program.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:02 pm

moandersen wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^ Umm... I can't imagine there's any sort of test, lol, but if you're straight don't claim to be LGBT just to be considered for diversity fellowships and scholarships.

As did I. URM is different than diverse (from a law firm, corporate perspective)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:06 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does a straight guy claiming to be homosexual have a shot at diversity fellowships and scholarships? Is there some test that guys have to pass, or do they have to prove it somehow? If so, what proof would be required?

All you have to do is never been seen with a woman for as long as you're interacting with people who could possibly find you out, including anyone who has ever read your résumé or firm bio.

At Christmas party...
Employer: "Who's that?" Pointing at woman on arm and child holding my hand
Me: "I just couldn't take the body odor of men anymore, so I decided to jump off the path of sin and create life."

Seems like the employer can't fire the employee at this point.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:08 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:

I doubt it. Firms want diversity because their clients want diversity, and I don't know that clients care that much about religious diversity. You can't tell you're a Mormon just by looking at you, and you probably shouldn't be discussing it with clients, so I just don't see how it would matter to a firm.

I don't have an opinion about firms caring about religious diversity, but I'm not sure about that line of reasoning b/c LGBT could fall into that same category as well...

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:12 pm

Mormon might work in NYC & DC if Mitt Romney wins the general election.

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
moandersen wrote:

As did I. URM is different than diverse (from a law firm, corporate perspective)

ha, awesome! I didn't know that.

Return to “Legal Employment”