1L Judicial Internship Interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Judicial Internship Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:27 pm

So what kind of questions do they ask during a judicial internship question? I'm just wondering if there is a difference between what they ask and what big law firms ask.

Thanks

zomginternets

Re: 1L Judicial Internship Interview

Postby zomginternets » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:42 am

Similar sorts of questions, with one or two judicial-specific questions. For me, it was msotly what areas of law are you interested in, why did you go to law school, why do you want to work at a trial/appellate court, what questions do you have for us. Just treat it like a firm interview, and research your judge and generally what externs for that judge do.

npe

Postby npe » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:37 am

I got asked what my favorite case was (for a 2L semester externship).

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:14 am

If you are selected for an interview with a judge, does that mean you have basically snagged the job and all you have to prove is that you're not a crazy kook? Or do they usually pick a handful of candidates they really like and will cut from there as well?

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:23 am

For summer externships, it's more competitive, and I think the interview can/does make or break your chances. For school-year externships, it's pretty much a formality--as long as you got the grades/courses, they'll take you.

edit: depends on the court of course (fed v. state, trial v. appellate), but i think that's a good general rule.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:38 am

zomginternets wrote:For summer externships, it's more competitive, and I think the interview can/does make or break your chances. For school-year externships, it's pretty much a formality--as long as you got the grades/courses, they'll take you.

edit: depends on the court of course (fed v. state, trial v. appellate), but i think that's a good general rule.

I only ask cause it seems like I've never heard of someone (at least on these forums) getting rejected by a judge after an interview. Seems like the initial weeding happens at the resume collect and if they didn't really want you, they wouldn't take the time to interview you. Also, I can't imagine they'd have the resources/time to interview lots of people unlike law firms. Or is that my subconscious hope :oops:

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:35 am

Honestly, I'm just guessing re: the summer externships. I interviewed for a school-year externship, and it went kinda awkwardly and I still got the offer, so I know they're not too choosey about those. You could be right about the selectivity occurring pre-interview rather than post-interview--after all, you're only around for a few months, and you don't have that much responsibility or interaction with the judge, so it's not like personality should matter as much as for, say, a firm. But at least for 1L summer positions, a lot of the time people are applying (particularly to fed courts) before any grades come out, so then I'm sure the interview plays a larger role in those decisions.

amyamy

Postby amyamy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:37 pm

don't overanalyze.

just cast a wide net. Some judges interview a few people and pick one. others just interview someone they think they'll hire.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:36 pm

Interned for a district court judge this summer with 5 other interns. We were all hired on the spot, and I don't believe the judge/clerks interviewed anyone that wasn't hired. Anecdotes lead me to believe that most other federal judges work the same way. If you received an interview - things are looking good.

Questions I remember being asked: Why did you decide to go to law school, describe your ties to the area (I'm not from the area I go to law school / interned), favorite class, work experience... and a lot of random, casual questions. We talked about TV shows and books for awhile. I remember having a good time in the interview. Our chambers was very, very, very laid back, though.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:04 pm

My 2 cents: For federal district court, merit wasn't exactly as important as I thought it would be. I had excellent grades, but I co-interened with a few people who were, well, median or less, and it didn't matter. Some judges just want to expose law students to the real world, regardless of their academic achievment. If you have an interview, just be polite and don't say anything stupid, and you'll be fine.

Return to “Legal Employment”