Interning In an Area of Law You Do Not Want to Go Into

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SDviaVA

Interning In an Area of Law You Do Not Want to Go Into

Postby SDviaVA » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:09 pm

I am pretty intent on going into IP/Patent Law. I have a UG degree in Biotech and 5 years experience working in a lab prior to law school.

However, a friend of mine at law school has set me up with an interview at his old internship he did at a small firm doing transactional/commercial work. It’s not exactly what I want to do in the long term, but i think it may be good legal experience.

My question is - should I....
A. Go for the internship for next semester in an area I know I don’t want to work in for the experience.
B. Hold off on interning and keep looking for something IP/Patent law related.

Some other things to keep in mind:
1. I would try to do the internship for class credit.
2. My HOPE is to transition an unpaid internship for credit next semester into a paid internship this summer.
3. I am 2L.

LawIdiot86

Re: Interning In an Area of Law You Do Not Want to Go Into

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:51 pm

SDviaVA wrote:I am pretty intent on going into IP/Patent Law. I have a UG degree in Biotech and 5 years experience working in a lab prior to law school.

However, a friend of mine at law school has set me up with an interview at his old internship he did at a small firm doing transactional/commercial work. It’s not exactly what I want to do in the long term, but i think it may be good legal experience.

My question is - should I....
A. Go for the internship for next semester in an area I know I don’t want to work in for the experience.
B. Hold off on interning and keep looking for something IP/Patent law related.

Some other things to keep in mind:
1. I would try to do the internship for class credit.
2. My HOPE is to transition an unpaid internship for credit next semester into a paid internship this summer.
3. I am 2L.

So, I assume from the tone that you don't have a firm lined up for next summer or an internship for next semester? Can you maintain/improve your grades if you are working the internship? If you can, then by all means do it. Having a firm internship in a general area of law won't hurt you. And if you get something in IP for the summer, you can still turn the firm down for the summer. Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush as far as getting something better than the firm for next semester. Also, most schools won't let you do for-profit work for class credit.

SDviaVA

Postby SDviaVA » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:33 pm

That is kind of what I was thinking...beggers cant be choosers.

I would do this internship for credit (not paid this semster) that way I could take one less exam class...which would help with the work load. Then tried to get something paid there this summer. Hopefully i would have a good chance of getting something paid if I have been interning all semseter - assuming I do a good job.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:58 pm

Over the school year, I see no problem with doing something you aren't interested in. But, I would try to find IP this summer. After 2L year, it seems like employers start looking for people with experience in their type of law. I'd just use this as a backup if you can't find something - as something is still better than nothing. But, don't give up on looking for something else this summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:12 pm

Can you even get credit for the internship at a private firm? I know in at least CA you can't.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:26 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Over the school year, I see no problem with doing something you aren't interested in. But, I would try to find IP this summer.

This. Good luck.

Return to “Legal Employment”