The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Just interviewed with the firm where I worked prior to law school and it went very well. All the attorneys were very nice and as we walked between the offices to hand me off to the next interviewer various secretaries would see me and go "ooooohhhh joemoviebuff you're back!!" Afterwards I spoke with the receptionist again and she said one of the interviewing attorneys came and asked her about me after he was finished with my interview, and she talked me up like a boss.

Fingers crossed!

User avatar
orm518
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby orm518 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:45 pm

Given a summer offer from a state appellate court judge, was told adamantly to take "a few weeks" to think about it, but if I want it it's mine.

Then a professor said they'd go to bat for me with the local federal trial ct for a summer.....

An embarrassment of (unpaid) riches. I hope I settle this soon. Grades Friday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi guys, I am a HUGE underachiever compared to all of you and I was wondering how you are going about with the job search as a 1L. Honestly, my T-25 school hasn't really given us much of an idea of what to do. I don't even have a resume or cover letter prepared. A lot of my peers seem to be in the same boat.

How did you decide what judges to apply to? Is it too late to apply to judges? How does that even work? And how exactly are you coming up with the organizations/government positions that you are applying to?

I apologize sincerely for sounding completely clueless, but I genuinely would appreciate helpful responses. I was told by career services that if I didn't want big law, applying spring semester wasn't a big deal. But browsing this thread seems to reveal differently.

Thanks!

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ran12 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:58 pm

It's too late for most biglaw, fed courts and govt positions. But some are still open depending on your school and grades. Symplicity should have a listing of all the federal judges.

At this point prob apply to state courts, smaller firms and less competitive PI stuff. Symplicity should have a guide for PI jobs under the Jobs tab.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11742
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:01 pm

ran12 wrote:It's too late for most biglaw, fed courts and govt positions. But some are still open depending on your school and grades. Symplicity should have a listing of all the federal judges.

At this point prob apply to state courts, smaller firms and less competitive PI stuff. Symplicity should have a guide for PI jobs under the Jobs tab.

The Northern District of CA Fed Courts can't even interview people until Feb 1st -- it is not too late for all fed courts.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby cinephile » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
How did you decide what judges to apply to? Is it too late to apply to judges? How does that even work? And how exactly are you coming up with the organizations/government positions that you are applying to?


For me, it was easy. I applied to firms and judges in my (small) home market, which is partial to people who grew up here. Then I applied to just about everything on my school's symplicity page.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Thanks so much for the responses ran12 and ilovesf!

What is the hierarchy of judges/courts? I feel like I am completely clueless as to what is in highest demand/considered the most prestigious and what is more accessible to someone who might be in the middle of the class.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Did any of you run into firms that state all 1L SA applications should go through their employment submission system and not email, but then found that all postings there are related to diversity positions? Just apply to diversity positions you don't qualify for? Did you email resumes anyway?

I know these firms hire 1L SAs and I'm coming from a T14, which should play well in this secondary market, but not sure if I should apply.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks so much for the responses ran12 and ilovesf!

What is the hierarchy of judges/courts? I feel like I am completely clueless as to what is in highest demand/considered the most prestigious and what is more accessible to someone who might be in the middle of the class.


My best guess is: Fed COA > Fed Dist. Ct. > Fed Magistrate/BK Ct. ~= State Sup. Ct. > State Appellate Ct. > State Trial Ct. > Lower Random Cts.


Think I should start mass mailing state judges? I applied to all Fed Judges in my school area and in my home market and haven't had much luck... is it too late?

User avatar
mr_toad
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby mr_toad » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:45 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks so much for the responses ran12 and ilovesf!

What is the hierarchy of judges/courts? I feel like I am completely clueless as to what is in highest demand/considered the most prestigious and what is more accessible to someone who might be in the middle of the class.


My best guess is: Fed COA > Fed Dist. Ct. > Fed Magistrate/BK Ct. ~= State Sup. Ct. > State Appellate Ct. > State Trial Ct. > Lower Random Cts.


Think I should start mass mailing state judges? I applied to all Fed Judges in my school area and in my home market and haven't had much luck... is it too late?


A while back someone posted a somewhat more subtle and to my mind accurate hierarchy.

Fed COA > prestigious Fed Dist. Ct. (e.g., SDNY, DC) > State Sup. Ct. in target market or Fed Dist. Ct. in target market > Fed Dist. Ct. in non-target market > then Fed Magistrate/Bk Ct. and so on as in your list. Don't discount power of working in the most prestigious court in your particular target market, though (doesn't mean choose State Sup. Ct. in your home town over Fed COA, but rather don't be disappointed if the best you get is State Sup. Ct. in your home town because judges there can probably really help you out if you impress them)

User avatar
drmguy
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby drmguy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:07 pm

So I sent out 100+ fed dist. apps. on Dec. 1st and I've only had grade requests. I didn't send any biglaw apps because I'm at a T2 and not URM. If I end up with a 3.6-3.7 GPA(3.0 curve) should I send some to my home market? Btw, my home market is LA/OC.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Guchster » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:11 am

piccolittle wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
piccolittle wrote:PI phone interview ended just now. God that was rough.

why so rough? I'm sending out my federal district court apps out tonight, sooo nervous.

Obviously wasn't prepared and didn't know nearly enough about the area of law they specialize in. Luckily it wasn't my first choice but I felt bad about being such a poor candidate. Have another application out with a similar org so hopefully I can improve on this experience for next time.


Don't be too hard on yourself. I bet you did fantastic! Congrats on the phone interview, and good luck on your next ones.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:36 am

drmguy wrote:So I sent out 100+ fed dist. apps. on Dec. 1st and I've only had grade requests. I didn't send any biglaw apps because I'm at a T2 and not URM. If I end up with a 3.6-3.7 GPA(3.0 curve) should I send some to my home market? Btw, my home market is LA/OC.


I did almost the same thing you did last year. Send State Supreme once you have all your grades, and if you don't get any bites after a week, send App. Div. and Trial court apps. You can send your home market, but it will probably be tougher.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby beachbum » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:26 am

So... I know I'm kinda late in the game here, but I'm expanding my search to state courts. Is it cool to apply to multiple judges in the same court, or will they think you're just spamming the shit out of them?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did any of you run into firms that state all 1L SA applications should go through their employment submission system and not email, but then found that all postings there are related to diversity positions? Just apply to diversity positions you don't qualify for? Did you email resumes anyway?

I know these firms hire 1L SAs and I'm coming from a T14, which should play well in this secondary market, but not sure if I should apply.


I'd write the recruiting director back and ask about regular postings. I have been directed to use submission systems a few times, but never had your problem. Unless that's subtle way of saying we only hire diverse 1Ls.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:40 am

beachbum wrote:So... I know I'm kinda late in the game here, but I'm expanding my search to state courts. Is it cool to apply to multiple judges in the same court, or will they think you're just spamming the shit out of them?


it's fine; all of them will get disbursed individually and the judges likely won't know who else you're applying to. i applied to 15 in one courthouse and got 5 interviews out of it thus far

disbursed = dispersed? whatevs

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby piccolittle » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:03 pm

It's only times like these that can make me regret signing up for Groupon/Rent the Runway etc that keep sending me deal alerts when all I want is a jerb/interview offer!

In other news, I have heavy drinking planned for the next few days, so life is looking good :P

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:44 pm

piccolittle wrote:It's only times like these that can make me regret signing up for Groupon/Rent the Runway etc that keep sending me deal alerts when all I want is a jerb/interview offer!

In other news, I have heavy drinking planned for the next few days, so life is looking good :P


That's why I have a generic email account for trivial stuff, and one for official matters.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby beachbum » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:13 pm

Is it still worth it to apply to federal judges? I've only applied to a few places (a judge here and there, a handful of firms, etc.), and I'm definitely starting to feel the pressure of being behind in the job search...

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:16 pm

beachbum wrote:Is it still worth it to apply to federal judges? I've only applied to a few places (a judge here and there, a handful of firms, etc.), and I'm definitely starting to feel the pressure of being behind in the job search...


I hear that some judges are requesting grades, so presumably not every judge has hired someone. Call some chambers around you and see.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
beachbum wrote:Is it still worth it to apply to federal judges? I've only applied to a few places (a judge here and there, a handful of firms, etc.), and I'm definitely starting to feel the pressure of being behind in the job search...


I hear that some judges are requesting grades, so presumably not every judge has hired someone. Call some chambers around you and see.


i applied to about 12 federal judges first week in january and i have only gotten snail mail rejections (about 4), 3 saying they've already hired someone else and the 4th saying he only hires clerks from local law schools (::grumble::). i don't have high hopes for the others, but it took me about 5 minutes to change the names of the judge cover letter template so whatever. i guess in that regard it can't hurt.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby NYC Law » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:36 pm

I don't suppose anyone has a merge ready spreadsheet of state judges? I'll give a spreadsheet of all Fed Judges in exchange.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby beachbum » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Appreciate the advice, paulina and r6. I think I'm gonna send out additional apps to judges and (what the hell) firms, just to see what's still out there. Just went out and bought supplies, so hopefully I can get everything out by the weekend, if not sooner.

But one more question: I want to apply to district judges in my home city, but their internship instructions are to send a resume and cover letter to the courthouse, addressed to human resources. So... who should I address my cover letter to? Or should I do a separate app for each judge? I'm so confused.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:37 pm

Had a brief phone interview for a PI org that went really well today. Considering my terrible personality I think I'm personable enough not to be unemployable, which is nice since I basically bet $150,000+ on that by coming to law school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273117
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:00 pm

Got called today and offered a Fed COA internship! So excited!!!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.