The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
piccolittle

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:09 pm

Woooooo I now have interviews with a government org and a PI org lined up and one in-house. Now waiting on decisions from a firm and my first choice PI org. I think I need good news before I get any more of my failgrades.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:32 pm

I go to a TTT, I had errors on my cover letters (I referred to the federal district judge as an appellate judge) for judicial internships, and I didn't mass mail until Dec. 16. However, I was offered an internship a couple days after I mailed out my stuff. Maybe my district isn't as competitive?

I'd say there's definitely still hope for people as far as federal judicial internships (prob not COA, though).

What district will everyone be in? I'm in the Middle District of Florida.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:05 pm

Jessuf wrote:I go to a TTT, I had errors on my cover letters (I referred to the federal district judge as an appellate judge) for judicial internships, and I didn't mass mail until Dec. 16. However, I was offered an internship a couple days after I mailed out my stuff. Maybe my district isn't as competitive?

I'd say there's definitely still hope for people as far as federal judicial internships (prob not COA, though).

Same district, dont go to a TTT, no calls.... Do you go to a FL school?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:39 pm

anyone receive a TX firm offer yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone receive a TX firm offer yet?

Not me, but I was wondering the same thing so I started this thread for 1Ls trying to get Texas biglaw this summer:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=175675

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:13 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Jessuf wrote:I go to a TTT, I had errors on my cover letters (I referred to the federal district judge as an appellate judge) for judicial internships, and I didn't mass mail until Dec. 16. However, I was offered an internship a couple days after I mailed out my stuff. Maybe my district isn't as competitive?

Yes. There are some judges who are alums of my school, but I didn't hear back from any of them. Not sure how the selection process works exactly.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:15 pm

Jessuf wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

Yes. There are some judges who are alums of my school, but I didn't hear back from any of them. Not sure how the selection process works exactly.

From your name I think we went to the same school. Applied to every Fed Judge in Middle District, just heard back from 1 magistrate. Maybe location does matter :|

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:19 pm

Definitely doing a judicial internship this summer, just remains to be seen if it will be state or federal...crossing my fingers for the latter, hoping my connections come through

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:31 pm

NYC Law wrote:
From your name I think we went to the same school. Applied to every Fed Judge in Middle District, just heard back from 1 magistrate. Maybe location does matter :|

Did/do you go to UF? The judges here LOVE UF students. My judge is a UF alum and pretty much exclusively hires UF clerks - not sure about interns, though.

A lot of my 2L friends interned with magistrates in the fall, and some of them sound pretty awesome (free baseball games during internship hours).

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:33 pm

Jessuf wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

Did/do you go to UF? The judges here LOVE UF students. My judge is a UF alum and pretty much exclusively hires UF clerks - not sure about interns, though.

A lot of my 2L friends interned with magistrates in the fall, and some of them sound pretty awesome (free baseball games during internship hours).

For UG. I think it is helping me out some, pretty much any job call I've gotten was from a UF alum, but I guess the NY Law school is turning them off a bit.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:07 am

Ugh... Probably shouldn't have waited for the night before resume/cover letter submissions were due to start working on my public interest career fair resumes. 2 down, 33 to go.

I blame my school. They didn't give us the correct resume submission deadline until the 8th, the deadline is the 10th.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:12 am

piccolittle wrote:Woooooo I now have interviews with a government org and a PI org lined up and one in-house. Now waiting on decisions from a firm and my first choice PI org. I think I need good news before I get any more of my failgrades.

YAY!! Congrats!

PS I had Shaw too! here's to getting our grades back in march, lol.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:26 pm

PI phone interview ended just now. God that was rough.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:30 pm

piccolittle wrote:PI phone interview ended just now. God that was rough.

why so rough? I'm sending out my federal district court apps out tonight, sooo nervous.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:31 pm

ilovesf wrote:

why so rough? I'm sending out my federal district court apps out tonight, sooo nervous.

With your grades I am sure you'll kill it. Do well!

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:32 pm

ilovesf wrote:

Obviously wasn't prepared and didn't know nearly enough about the area of law they specialize in. Luckily it wasn't my first choice but I felt bad about being such a poor candidate. Have another application out with a similar org so hopefully I can improve on this experience for next time.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:24 pm

I just got a call from the firm I interviewed with in Chicago to do a call-back interview next week.

Oh sweet Jesus am I nervous. I would kill for this job.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:30 pm

Haymarket wrote:I just got a call from the firm I interviewed with in Chicago to do a call-back interview next week.

Good luck and congrats!

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:32 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Haymarket wrote:I just got a call from the firm I interviewed with in Chicago to do a call-back interview next week.

Good luck and congrats!

Thanks SF! I'll let y'all know how it goes when it's over.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Think I have a call back at the same firm. Good luck with your interview. I hope they have more than one position available :-)

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:12 pm

NYC Law wrote:Ugh... Probably shouldn't have waited for the night before resume/cover letter submissions were due to start working on my public interest career fair resumes. 2 down, 33 to go.

I blame my school. They didn't give us the correct resume submission deadline until the 8th, the deadline is the 10th.

FYI, you only have to do 25 for tomorrow. you can do the other 10 for the 16th.

it's not that bad, but don't forget to allocate time for converting stuff from doc to pdf and adjusting formatting issues.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Ugh... Probably shouldn't have waited for the night before resume/cover letter submissions were due to start working on my public interest career fair resumes. 2 down, 33 to go.

it's not that bad, but don't forget to allocate time for converting stuff from doc to pdf and adjusting formatting issues.

I save all my cover letters in Word and PDF format, no conversion necessary 8)

16 down, 19 to go.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:16 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:

16 down, 19 to go.

...you saw what i wrote about 25 for tomorrow, other 10 for the 16th, right?

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:17 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:

16 down, 19 to go.

...you saw what i wrote about 25 for tomorrow, other 10 for the 16th, right?

Yeah, trying to knock em all out tonight, but if not then I'll do the other 10 later.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:19 pm

godspeed

Return to “Legal Employment”