The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
piccolittle

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:37 am

shoeshine wrote:I accepted an offer.

Congrats! :)

shoeshine wrote:Also, I never wrote any thank you notes. I was not aware I was supposed to write thank you notes.

Did you not write thank you notes for your finance job interviews as well? I was just surprised by the absence of the convention in legal hiring, as I have been taught that you write thank-yous after every interview.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:41 am

piccolittle wrote:

Congrats!

Did you not write thank you notes for your finance job interviews as well? I was just surprised by the absence of the convention in legal hiring, as I have been taught that you write thank-yous after every interview.

I really have never written one. I think I used to send thank you emails but it was not a consistent thing.

Good luck to you all.

I am not an expert or anything but I have done 7 full interviews for 1L SA spots so I am happy to answer any random questions people have about the process.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:44 am

shoeshine wrote:
piccolittle wrote:

Congrats!

I really have never written one. I think I used to send thank you emails but it was not a consistent thing.

Good luck to you all.

I am not an expert or anything but I have done 7 full interviews for 1L SA spots so I am happy to answer any random questions people have about the process.

Did you just mass mail firms or do something else?

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:46 am

merc280 wrote:
shoeshine wrote:
piccolittle wrote:

Congrats!

Good luck to you all.

Did you just mass mail firms or do something else?

The firms mass mailed him.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:46 am

NYC Law wrote:The firms mass mailed him.

:lol:

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:47 am

merc280 wrote:Did you just mass mail firms or do something else?

Mass mailed about 70 firms on Dec 1st and 15 more on Dec 3rd.

I tailored the cover letters to a couple of the firms I had a connection to.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:48 am

Currently taking bets on how much rope/posting will be needed for shoeshine to hang himself again.

adonai

Postby adonai » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:49 am

NYC Law wrote:
The firms mass mailed him.

This made me lol.

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:52 am

shoeshine wrote:Also, I never wrote any thank you notes. I was not aware I was supposed to write thank you notes.

You probably assumed they would thank you, right?

merc280

Postby merc280 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:52 am

shoeshine wrote:

Is it mostly impossible to get an interview now if half of my grades have come out and they're not quite what the firm usually looks for?

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:56 am

BEAST_mode wrote:

You probably assumed they would thank you, right?

:lol:

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:00 am

merc280 wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

Is it mostly impossible to get an interview now if half of my grades have come out and they're not quite what the firm usually looks for?

I have no clue but my intuition is that you are very unlikely to be able to get an interview at any big firm without stellar grades this late in the game.

It was clear to me that there were two types of firms hiring 1L SAs. There were those that were looking to hire the top candidates based on grades and those that wanted a candidates based on diversity, W/E, and past academic performance. The former are probably still looking for candidates but I did not have much interaction with that type of firm. The later did not care about law school grades but usually wanted to have their 1L's picked by last week.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:16 am

shoeshine wrote:
merc280 wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

I have no clue but my intuition is that you are very unlikely to be able to get an interview at any big firm without stellar grades this late in the game.

It was clear to me that there were two types of firms hiring 1L SAs. There were those that were looking to hire the top candidates based on grades and those that wanted a candidates based on diversity, W/E, and past academic performance. The former are probably still looking for candidates but I did not have much interaction with that type of firm. The later did not care about law school grades but usually wanted to have their 1L's picked by last week.

I actually applied to 30 top firms the last week of december, and decided to mass email smaller firms this week but seeing my grades it might not matter.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:33 am

adonai wrote:So is it safe to say no one on this thread has a job yet besides shoeshine? :lol:

Not a diversity candidate and not counting on the type of grades that would land me a 1L SA gig otherwise. I also have law firm W/E, so to round out my resume/experience, I really wanted a judicial internship. I accepted an offer with a federal district court judge before Christmas, and I may also have an RA gig lined up if the professor will let me do it part-time (he seemed open to it when I first spoke with him in early December).

It's still really early, though, for most 1L summer employment. It seems most at my school lined things up in March or so last year.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:20 am

Lwoods wrote:
adonai wrote:So is it safe to say no one on this thread has a job yet besides shoeshine? :lol:

Not a diversity candidate and not counting on the type of grades that would land me a 1L SA gig otherwise. I also have law firm W/E, so to round out my resume/experience, I really wanted a judicial internship. I accepted an offer with a federal district court judge before Christmas, and I may also have an RA gig lined up if the professor will let me do it part-time (he seemed open to it when I first spoke with him in early December).

It's still really early, though, for most 1L summer employment. It seems most at my school lined things up in March or so last year.

I applied mainly to firms and judges. Didn't get anything firm wise, but ended up accepting a positon with a federal district judge the week after Christmas.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:40 am

theavrock wrote:
I applied mainly to firms and judges. Didn't get anything firm wise, but ended up accepting a positon with a federal district judge the week after Christmas.

Congrats! fwiw (in case you're bummed about the firm stuff), all of my attorney friends are impressed/think it's great that I'm working for a federal judge next summer. Those who did so as law students said it was the best experience they had, and those that didn't listed it as one of their biggest regrets. Considering how cynical most lawyers I know can be, I figure it's a pretty good sign when they agree about something positive.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:13 am

For people still forming their applications, I know the little one off things like personal interests or things like that are unimportant but I had one judge interview me because of something I researched in undergrad, one judge interview me because I grew up on a tobacco farm, and one judge have a discussion about sailing and being the first person in my family to go to college during the interview. I don't have any offers but at least it garnered some interest in me.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:30 am

AreJay711 wrote:For people still forming their applications, I know the little one off things like personal interests or things like that are unimportant but I had one judge interview me because of something I researched in undergrad, one judge interview me because I grew up on a tobacco farm, and one judge have a discussion about sailing and being the first person in my family to go to college during the interview. I don't have any offers but at least it garnered some interest in me.

After conferring with smart and successful 2Ls/3Ls, and after my own limited interviewing experience, I believe that an "interests" line on a resume is invaluable as long as you're not an idiot about it.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:30 am

Lwoods wrote:
theavrock wrote:

Congrats! fwiw (in case you're bummed about the firm stuff), all of my attorney friends are impressed/think it's great that I'm working for a federal judge next summer. Those who did so as law students said it was the best experience they had, and those that didn't listed it as one of their biggest regrets. Considering how cynical most lawyers I know can be, I figure it's a pretty good sign when they agree about something positive.

Thanks! Not bummed at all. I would have loved to get firm work and work the summer paid, but as the same type of applicant as you I knew it was a long shot.

Working for a judge at the federal district level was my 1a choice to firm work and I am doing it in one of my target markets so I am super excited for it. I have had the same reactions as you and I think the experience will be amazing.

Which district are you going to be in this summer L?

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:After conferring with smart and successful 2Ls/3Ls, and after my own limited interviewing experience, I believe that an "interests" line on a resume is invaluable as long as you're not an idiot about it.

2L here: very credited. you will get asked about your interests not infrequently, and they'll want you to explain them.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:47 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:After conferring with smart and successful 2Ls/3Ls, and after my own limited interviewing experience, I believe that an "interests" line on a resume is invaluable as long as you're not an idiot about it.

2L here: very credited. you will get asked about your interests not infrequently, and they'll want you to explain them.

Yep, I did a stupid when one of my interviewers asked me about my interest in historical fiction, and I couldn't remember anything I had read except Philippa Gregory. Good lord.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:12 pm

Just mass mailed 231 law firms, targeting my home market, my school's area, every firm that practices the area of law I'm interested in (it's not many), and then threw in NYC and DC for fun. Whew! Took way longer than I expected to put it all together. Hopefully some place will be interested in this non-traditional NA from a T10 school.

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:46 pm

How late is too late to apply for judicial internships as a 1L? I mailed some in December, but I'm worried I didn't spread myself out enough. I called some judges' chambers and the secretaries all said they were looking for clerks, not interns, or that there were no available slots.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:11 pm

IB Xifeng

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Haymarket wrote:IB Xifeng

Thank the lord they will not see my grades.

Return to “Legal Employment”