The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jessuf

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby jessuf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:51 pm

nevermind original post.

got a handwritten "i'm not hiring interns this summer" letter from a judge with some nice compliments and well wishes in it. made me feel kind of good.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:56 pm

1. I've been writing short thank-you emails. Nothing super exciting, but I'd feel weird not.

2. I've been skipping class when I have to for interviews. And at my school at least, you NEED to tell the professor ahead of time. How horrible would it be to get cold-called when you're not there?

3. I want a job ;_;

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:39 pm

Debating whether to apply to Goldman Sachs even though it's not a law related job....

Also shit, I guess I should have been sending thank yous this whole time.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:42 pm

Haymarket wrote:Debating whether to apply to Goldman Sachs even though it's not a law related job....

Do it. Isn't it just a resume? It takes no effort and it, at the least, would be another option to weigh.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:44 pm

Haymarket wrote:Debating whether to apply to Goldman Sachs even though it's not a law related job....

Nah, don't apply for non-legal jobs. Plus you'd be surrounded by a bunch of business school pukes.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:56 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

Nah, don't apply for non-legal jobs. Plus you'd be surrounded by a bunch of business school pukes.

Do it and see if they'll let you do any M&A type of stuff and even a little bit will be enough for legal experience. All you really do is research and memos anyway and it's not like you don't know how to do that already.

Btw business school dudes are a lot more awesome than law school kids. Experience in both and gotta say law school kids really are more awkward than I thought possible.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:59 pm

ran12 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Do it and see if they'll let you do any M&A type of stuff and even a little bit will be enough for legal experience. All you really do is research and memos anyway and it's not like you don't know how to do that already.

Btw business school dudes are a lot more awesome than law school kids. Experience in both and gotta say law school kids really are more awkward than I thought possible.

It's actually their Private Wealth Management division. But apparently they love (Chicago) law students.

And when it comes to awkward law students, I am the 1%.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:05 pm

Haymarket wrote:
ran12 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

It's actually their Private Wealth Management division. But apparently they love (Chicago) law students.

Sorry about my awkward student remark. Since it's PWM I wouldn't do it. You're not going to be doing anything law-related. I interned in UG in PWM with one of GS's competitors and you do a lot of transactional research and modeling but it'll be hard to spin it as law-related.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:13 pm

ran12 wrote:
Haymarket wrote:It's actually their Private Wealth Management division. But apparently they love (Chicago) law students.

Sorry about my awkward student remark. Since it's PWM I wouldn't do it. You're not going to be doing anything law-related. I interned in UG in PWM with one of GS's competitors and you do a lot of transactional research and modeling but it'll be hard to spin it as law-related.

LOL. I make self-deprecating jokes far worse than that on a daily basis. But yeah, if I did it, it would likely only be for the ability to stay in Chicago and for the $$$.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:15 am

As the start of classes approaches, I laugh bitterly to myself that I ever naively thought I would have a job lined up by now.

This really sucks. I've only had one interview and with every day that passes I remember more and more awkward details.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:19 am

piccolittle wrote:As the start of classes approaches, I laugh bitterly to myself that I ever naively thought I would have a job lined up by now.

This really sucks. I've only had one interview and with every day that passes I remember more and more awkward details.

If I've learned anything from finals + interviews, it's that I'm really awesome at blocking out specific details.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:42 am

piccolittle wrote:As the start of classes approaches, I laugh bitterly to myself that I ever naively thought I would have a job lined up by now.

This really sucks. I've only had two interviews and with every day that passes I remember more and more awkward details.

FTFM

Getting a little nervous, but whatever.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:00 am

NYC Law wrote:

This really sucks. I've only had two interviews and with every day that passes I remember more and more awkward details.

FTFM

I've had none. :( Hopefully my PI apps for the PI fair will pan out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:01 am

ilovesf wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

FTFM

People have gotten interviews?!?!?! No call backs, haven't sent out as many apps as I would have liked. Yikes.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

FTFM

People have gotten interviews?!?!?! No call backs, haven't sent out as many apps as I would have liked. Yikes.

This seems to be the main time that people have been doing interviews. Though it will probably continue, it has definitely started. I've done four so far and have a fifth scheduled. Likewise for a lot of people I know. But there's still lots of time :)

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:12 am

I also know people who haven't even applied places yet. That being said, I don't go to a top school, so I guess not as many people are gunning for firm jobs and stuff.

adonai

Postby adonai » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:19 am

So is it safe to say no one on this thread has a job yet besides shoeshine? :lol:

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:21 am

adonai wrote:So is it safe to say no one on this thread has a job yet besides shoeshine? :lol:

If you read back there have been a couple people who have gotten judicial offers, but I think the hiring process for those positions vary wildly from each other and differ greatly from PI/firm job hiring, so I wouldn't worry right now about feeling behind.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:21 am

adonai wrote:So is it safe to say no one on this thread has a job yet besides shoeshine? :lol:

Has shoeshine been doing well looking for a summer job? Hadn't heard.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:21 am

Hell, I know people who haven't written cover letters yet. Then again, this is TLS, the striver mother ship.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:22 am

piccolittle wrote:the striver mother ship

Damn, that's true. I hate myself for being a part of it now. Haymarket can tell you my feelings on strivers.

adonai

Postby adonai » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:26 am

Haymarket wrote:

It is to my knowledge that he/she received multiple biglaw offers, and was lambasting self for applying to too many firms.
Last edited by adonai on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:27 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
piccolittle wrote:the striver mother ship

Damn, that's true. I hate myself for being a part of it now. Haymarket can tell you my feelings on strivers.

I mean, you should be no stranger to self-hatred and guilt.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:29 am

adonai wrote:
Haymarket wrote:

It is to my knowledge that he/she received multiple biglaw offers, and was lambasting self for applying to too many firms.

Apparently I wasn't making my sarcasm clear enough for some.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:33 am

adonai wrote:
Haymarket wrote:

I accepted an offer.

If it makes anyone feel better I struck out at my top choice.

Also, I never wrote any thank you notes. I was not aware I was supposed to write thank you notes.

Return to “Legal Employment”