The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Haymarket

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Haymarket » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:59 pm

Guchster wrote:Is it bad that my interviews end with every hiring partner telling me "well, there's a lot of applicants for (positionsIcancountonmyhand), so don't be disappointed if you don't get the job. it's highly competitive this year. Even if you don't get it, stay in touch for 2L OCI"

WTF. brosky, if I didn't get the job, just usher me out the door, lol.

Guchster wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Still haven't had any interview requests or any updates :( I'm sending my grades to the one justice who asked for them now, hopefully he'll want to interview me after he sees them!

whoa, as in scalia?

Might have something to do with it.

Postby 23402385985 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Just got my resume's and shit proofread. #progress

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:33 pm

Ding from a CA CoA justice, first time someone told me they're actually going with someone else. I had a lunch today with a partner at an immigration firm though and it went pretty well. She is a friend of a family friend so it was just a networking thing, but we got along and she gave me some good advice.

Ofta3184

Postby Ofta3184 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:40 pm

is anyone else here missing classes during their first week in order to interview in home market?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Ofta3184 wrote:is anyone else here missing classes during their first week in order to interview in home market?

I'm skipping classes my first week and whenever I need to for interviews. Not even going to ask profs if it's alright because they might say no. Jobs > school.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:01 pm

ilovesf wrote:Ding from a CA CoA justice, first time someone told me they're actually going with someone else. I had a lunch today with a partner at an immigration firm though and it went pretty well. She is a friend of a family friend so it was just a networking thing, but we got along and she gave me some good advice.

I've been applying to fed court judges in my home secondary market (starting about Dec 28) and all the responses have been that they've already hired someone else making me feel like i'm late to the game. state court judges are biting but it's a little disconcerting in general

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:31 pm

Had my first Chicago firm interview this morning. I think it went pretty well and that the two guys seemed to like me. We mostly just kind of discussed unrelated topics like sports and politics. I don't want to get too excited about it because I want it so badly. I would accept a 1L firm job in Chicago in a second.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:16 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Ding from a CA CoA justice, first time someone told me they're actually going with someone else. I had a lunch today with a partner at an immigration firm though and it went pretty well. She is a friend of a family friend so it was just a networking thing, but we got along and she gave me some good advice.

I've been applying to fed court judges in my home secondary market (starting about Dec 28) and all the responses have been that they've already hired someone else making me feel like i'm late to the game. state court judges are biting but it's a little disconcerting in general

I sent my apps Dec 1 so I don't even know how that could be late to the game, but I know what you mean. I feel more like I'll end up doing something PI instead of externing with a judge like I wanted. I still have to send out federal judge apps out on Feb 1st, but I'm not really too optimistic. what are you going to do if judges don't pan out?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:17 am

i'm kind of glad i've waited / been lazy so far in the summer job search.

i've sort of worked out what i want to do over the break; don't think i'll go for a judicial externship anymore (though i might send a few apps out feb 1st just for the hell of it) as i never was that interested in that to begin with. even though my aim is a firm job in the private sector, for 1L summer, i really don't want to work at a firm right now either, and am instead focusing on potential govt/PI work.

i've realized i hate drafting cover letters so much, though. like i can't get myself to actually take it seriously for whatever reason. it's been like a month of me telling myself i'll get on it and me still not doing anything at all. it's disgusting. :( :x

orm518

Postby orm518 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:26 am

What is this Feb 1st deadline? Everyone I spoke with said to mail Fed judges Dec 1 along with state. Is this a local thing?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:37 am

orm518 wrote:What is this Feb 1st deadline? Everyone I spoke with said to mail Fed judges Dec 1 along with state. Is this a local thing?

only relevant for northern district of CA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:06 am

hey everyone,

I just got my grades this morning and I have a 4.0 at a T14-16. I haven't sent out any applications to firms yet as I was recommended not to until grades came out (by career services and other students). After checking this thread and other threads it seems like I may be a little late. I just had a few questions if anybody could help me out:

What's the process for applying to 1L summers? Can I just e-mail them all the materials (resume, cover letter, transcripts, etc.)? Do I have to write an initial e-mail asking if they are hiring 1Ls for summer?

I've found a list of firms in my area that say they hire 1Ls (through the NALP directory), hopefully I can get some applications out soon.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:hey everyone,

I just got my grades this morning and I have a 4.0 at a T14-16. I haven't sent out any applications to firms yet as I was recommended not to until grades came out (by career services and other students). After checking this thread and other threads it seems like I may be a little late. I just had a few questions if anybody could help me out:

What's the process for applying to 1L summers? Can I just e-mail them all the materials (resume, cover letter, transcripts, etc.)? Do I have to write an initial e-mail asking if they are hiring 1Ls for summer?

I've found a list of firms in my area that say they hire 1Ls (through the NALP directory), hopefully I can get some applications out soon.

don't know enough to answer your questions with any authority. i just wanted to say congrats on a sick semester. last 4.0 i got was like in high school i think...geez.

Ofta3184

Postby Ofta3184 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:32 am

cinephile wrote:
Ofta3184 wrote:is anyone else here missing classes during their first week in order to interview in home market?

I'm skipping classes my first week and whenever I need to for interviews. Not even going to ask profs if it's alright because they might say no. Jobs > school.

my thoughts exactly. I emailed some of my profs and they didnt seem to care anyway. After going through one semester of this, I realized that how well you do in a class is totally determined in the ~3 weeks before exams

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Lasers wrote:

don't know enough to answer your questions with any authority. i just wanted to say congrats on a sick semester. last 4.0 i got was like in high school i think...geez.

Thanks a lot! It was pretty unexpected as I was only hoping for somewhere in the top 1/3 or 1/4th and would have been pretty happy with any type of legal work in the summer.

Your avatar is hilarious by the way. I grew up reading C&H and even gifted the complete collection to my little brother. Kind of ruining the innocence and purity of it, though!

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:51 pm

cinephile wrote:

Inaccurate w/r/t 1L summer jobs. For OCI, grades matter much more than what you did during the summer. And OCI is what really matters. The only exception is to the extent you can, say, get a job with a judge willing to make calls to partners to recommend you.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:56 pm

Lincoln wrote:
cinephile wrote:

Inaccurate w/r/t 1L summer jobs. For OCI, grades matter much more than what you did during the summer. And OCI is what really matters. The only exception is to the extent you can, say, get a job with a judge willing to make calls to partners to recommend you.

This is also slightly inaccurate. If you can land a 1L SA position, it may lead to an offer to return for 2L before OCI thus rendering grades less important.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:07 pm

Lincoln wrote:
cinephile wrote:

Dude, skipping a few classes in the beginning of the semester will have a negligible impact on grades. I never said a job was more important than grades, just than class. Classes are recorded and available online, if necessary I can listen later.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:56 pm

Forgive me if this has been discussed earlier in the thread (and if anyone can link it, that would be great), but are you all doing thank you notes? I keep reading conflicting advice and I feel as though it would be a good idea, but I met with 7 people yesterday and just the thought of crafting personalized thank yous is giving me a headache. Frankly, I'm not sure if I can keep track of what I discussed with each one. :roll:

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:31 pm

piccolittle wrote:Forgive me if this has been discussed earlier in the thread (and if anyone can link it, that would be great), but are you all doing thank you notes? I keep reading conflicting advice and I feel as though it would be a good idea, but I met with 7 people yesterday and just the thought of crafting personalized thank yous is giving me a headache. Frankly, I'm not sure if I can keep track of what I discussed with each one. :roll:

I feel you on this. I don't think it was completely determined on this thread.

Did you go to that 1L OCS interview panel (at the end of nov.) where the partners/recruitment directors recommended against sending thank you letters? I was surprised that even a partner who appreciated a really good thank you note recommended against it. His logic was that while they are appreciated, they're not going to turn a decision in your favor, but if there are typos/it's sloppy/inaccurate it could really hurt you (i.e., you say you discussed something with them that actually was discussed with another person... or your letter just sounds awkward). Another hiring partner said that it didn't really make a difference unless it was a nice handwritten one that said something personal--because otherwise its just spam that takes up space in an inbox where she gets over a hundred emails a day, or mail that takes time to open and crumble when her time is really focused on her clients.

I think the overall consensus was that it's a great idea ONLY if you're willing to write a neat, personalized letter without any typos (and good syntax--the partners words). If a partner could look back and consider it to be something quality and meaningful, your name might stick out to them in hiring decisions (but there are a lot of ways to get your name to stick out in a positive light than by a thank you letter that could potentially be risky).

Also, I'm kind of being a corporate asshole and assuming that you're interviews were with law firms when in reality they could've been interviews with people who actually give a shit about you (judges/PI orgs). I think those peeps would appreciate a nice letter (w/ good spelling and syntax).
Last edited by Guchster on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:34 pm

piccolittle wrote:Forgive me if this has been discussed earlier in the thread (and if anyone can link it, that would be great), but are you all doing thank you notes? I keep reading conflicting advice and I feel as though it would be a good idea, but I met with 7 people yesterday and just the thought of crafting personalized thank yous is giving me a headache. Frankly, I'm not sure if I can keep track of what I discussed with each one. :roll:

I've only read stuff regarding 2L job searches and thank you notes, and the consensus seems to be that they don't matter. The recruiter even said you probably shouldn't since they won't help you, and can only hurt you if you make a typo. It's risk with no reward.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:39 pm

On another unrelated note, I hope we don't get pwn3d by a summer job search because we get our grades so late. A few firms said they would give me a decision immediately when I sent my grades in. SUCKS. For some people that could be now! For us, probs won't be until early feb. Was your civ pro section a big one? mine had like 100 people :(

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:41 pm

I always send thank you notes unless I am no longer interested in the job after the interview. I always expected people to send me thank you notes after I interview them if they are still really interested in the job. So it sort of depend on the vibe of the interview.

ETA: so if you seemed really enthusiastic about the job, and they are about you, then you write a thank you note to reaffirm your desire to work there. If everything is just a formality, nothing really clicked or stood out in anyway, there is really nothing to write about anyway. Sort of like the "why school x" essay - write when there is something good to write about.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lasers wrote:

Thanks a lot! It was pretty unexpected as I was only hoping for somewhere in the top 1/3 or 1/4th and would have been pretty happy with any type of legal work in the summer.

Your avatar is hilarious by the way. I grew up reading C&H and even gifted the complete collection to my little brother. Kind of ruining the innocence and purity of it, though!

just a product of the mind, my friend. :)

also, i have some of the same question as you do; i recommend getting in touch with your career office. that's what i'm doing, at least.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:14 am

Guchster wrote:On another unrelated note, I hope we don't get pwn3d by a summer job search because we get our grades so late. A few firms said they would give me a decision immediately when I sent my grades in. SUCKS. For some people that could be now! For us, probs won't be until early feb. Was your civ pro section a big one? mine had like 100 people :(

Yeah my civ pro section was massive. I had Shaw, which sucked for many reasons. I have been sending everything out as it comes in, but I'm hoping against hope that they give me a response before any more grades are posted, as I think contracts was my best exam and it only gets worse from here :(

FWIW, I spoke to a friend of mine at the firm and she says about 80% of applicants write thank-you notes and that it's not frowned upon at any firm she's been to. Given that so many applicants write them, I'm not going to risk being conspicuously rude by not doing it. Best get to writing, I guess!

Return to “Legal Employment”