The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:30 pm

Guchster wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Still haven't had any interview requests or any updates :( I'm sending my grades to the one justice who asked for them now, hopefully he'll want to interview me after he sees them!


whoa, as in scalia?

SCOTUS justices aren't the only ones referred to as justices. for example, at least some state supreme courts have their judges titled as justices.

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby adonai » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:31 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Guchster wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Still haven't had any interview requests or any updates :( I'm sending my grades to the one justice who asked for them now, hopefully he'll want to interview me after he sees them!


whoa, as in scalia?

looool... no. a CA CoA justice.

phail

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Guchster » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Guchster wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Still haven't had any interview requests or any updates :( I'm sending my grades to the one justice who asked for them now, hopefully he'll want to interview me after he sees them!


whoa, as in scalia?

SCOTUS justices aren't the only ones referred to as justices. for example, at least some state supreme courts have their judges titled as justices.


thanks for breaking that down for us.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Guchster wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Guchster wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Still haven't had any interview requests or any updates :( I'm sending my grades to the one justice who asked for them now, hopefully he'll want to interview me after he sees them!


whoa, as in scalia?

SCOTUS justices aren't the only ones referred to as justices. for example, at least some state supreme courts have their judges titled as justices.


thanks for breaking that down for us.

If you're going to be such a blatant retard can you at least take it to another thread?

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:32 pm

ilovesf wrote:Still haven't had any interview requests or any updates :( I'm sending my grades to the one justice who asked for them now, hopefully he'll want to interview me after he sees them!


You should probably upgrade them for everyone. I imagine you will probably have some firms bite on that GPA.

Guchster wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Hahaha all my interviews end with "Well I am still interviewing with other people so I'll let you know over the next several weeks / in March". How hard am I bombing these interviews?


nah brah i'm getting told the same thing.

the best responses are "we'll call you sometime in the next few months" if your resume changes let us know. LOLWTF!


lol that's good I'm not the only one.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Guchster » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:If you're going to be such a blatant retard can you at least take it to another thread?


:mrgreen:

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11722
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:39 pm

AreJay711 wrote:You should probably upgrade them for everyone. I imagine you will probably have some firms bite on that GPA.

I didn't apply to any firms, I wasn't interested in a 1L SA gig.. I don't really want biglaw. I've applied to some PI orgs and CA COA justices, that's all. I'm going to send apps on Feb 1 (that's when we're allowed to) to some northern district federal judges.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Guchster » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:43 pm

ilovesf wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:You should probably upgrade them for everyone. I imagine you will probably have some firms bite on that GPA.

I didn't apply to any firms, I wasn't interested in a 1L SA gig.. I don't really want biglaw. I've applied to some PI orgs and CA COA justices, that's all. I'm going to send apps on Feb 1 (that's when we're allowed to) to some northern district federal judges.


Your grades are good. you'll get something nice out of that feb. 1 submission I bet.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11722
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:47 pm

Guchster wrote:
Your grades are good. you'll get something nice out of that feb. 1 submission I bet.

Thanks. The only issue for me is that I would prefer a federal internship, but it's likely that if I'm offered the CA CoA it will happen before I ever hear back about the federal one... but federal internships are much more difficult to get, especially in this district, so I don't really want to delay relaying my grades to the state justice in case a federal judge doesn't pan out.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12489
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby jessuf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just had an interview for a fed judicial externship, and was offerred on the spot. Pretty excited as this is exactly what I set out to get for 1L summer employment. Now I know the procedure for post-interview is to mail thank you notes to the judge and clerks, but what about if you were offerred on the spot? My school's externship materials do not address this, and neither do other schools' that I looked at. I was planning on sending the thank yous out until I read those materials, but what is the general approach to this? FWIW I think the judge would appreciate the note, which is another reason I am leaning toward writing/sending the thank yous.


I think in general, a handwritten thank you note is always nice. I never even spoke with my judge nor did an interview - his assistant called me up and made the offer. Because of that, I decided not to send a thank you note.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273043
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:12 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just had an interview for a fed judicial externship, and was offerred on the spot. Pretty excited as this is exactly what I set out to get for 1L summer employment. Now I know the procedure for post-interview is to mail thank you notes to the judge and clerks, but what about if you were offerred on the spot? My school's externship materials do not address this, and neither do other schools' that I looked at. I was planning on sending the thank yous out until I read those materials, but what is the general approach to this? FWIW I think the judge would appreciate the note, which is another reason I am leaning toward writing/sending the thank yous.


I think in general, a handwritten thank you note is always nice. I never even spoke with my judge nor did an interview - his assistant called me up and made the offer. Because of that, I decided not to send a thank you note.

I'm the anon you quoted. And yeah, I think it really depends on the situation. I went ahead and sent out the thank you note the judge, just because it was my gut that he would appreciate it and we had a good rapport when we talked. If I was in your situation, I would have approached it like you did.

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby adonai » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Have you guys been sending thank you notes after interviews for employers that are not judges? Am I even supposed to?

letsdoit
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:02 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby letsdoit » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:31 pm

adonai wrote:Have you guys been sending thank you notes after interviews for employers that are not judges? Am I even supposed to?


FWIW, for the firms I interviewed with, I sent a short thank you e-mail to each attorney thanking them for their time and saying I really enjoyed (insert 1 or 2 specific things we discussed). Firms were NLJ250 firms and a lower V100 in a midwestern secondary market. Good luck!

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Lwoods » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:40 pm

adonai wrote:Just had an interview with the AUSA. Don't think it went so hot; 75% of the time I was the one asking questions. Meh.


That's GOOD. Employers like applicants who ask questions.

thegrayman
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby thegrayman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:29 am

For a reference list, my prior work experience was for accountants/tax people. Is it appropriate to put their name as [First Last, CPA], or should I leave the CPA off of their title since I am applying for legal jobs? I haven't found a definite answer either way.

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby adonai » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:31 am

Lwoods wrote:
adonai wrote:Just had an interview with the AUSA. Don't think it went so hot; 75% of the time I was the one asking questions. Meh.


That's GOOD. Employers like applicants who ask questions.

Thing is I was basically running out of my arsenal of questions because I thought it would be a fair give and take interview. When I ran out, my interviewer just sat there and stared at me, so I had to quickly improvise and rehash questions. It seemed like she kind of ran out of questions to ask herself, or was just simply disinterested as a result of my first few responses to questions.

User avatar
orm518
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby orm518 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:51 am

chimp wrote:CA COA judges are called justices. It's kind of weird.


Same in MA with our Mass. App. Ct., though in emails with their clerks they all address them as Judge So-and-so. I think it's a professional courtesy to the JUSTICES of the MA Supreme Judicial Court.

On that note I have an interview next week with one of said "justices" of the appeals court, this is my check in. And a PI interview in a few weeks.

Slim pickings so far...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273043
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:06 am

Sent thank you e-mails after my interview to my interviewers and the recruiting coordinator. Realized after sending the e-mails that I made a spelling error in my thank you e-mail to the recruiting coordinator. Automatic ding?

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Lwoods » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sent thank you e-mails after my interview to my interviewers and the recruiting coordinator. Realized after sending the e-mails that I made a spelling error in my thank you e-mail to the recruiting coordinator. Automatic ding?


No. Typos happen. In my last job before law school, my thank you email to my director misnamed the position. Still got the job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273043
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:34 am

Was planning on going to a firm reception for 1L's, but after getting that second C, definitely sure they don't want me after they see the transcript.

For people who are slightly below median first semester, does that totally eliminate chances for big law? There's only spring semester to improve grades for 2L OCI and there isn't much grade boosting one could do before then.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Guchster » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:53 am

Is it bad that my interviews end with every hiring partner telling me "well, there's a lot of applicants for (positionsIcancountonmyhand), so don't be disappointed if you don't get the job. it's highly competitive this year. Even if you don't get it, stay in touch for 2L OCI"

WTF. brosky, if I didn't get the job, just usher me out the door, lol.

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby piccolittle » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:13 am

Guchster wrote:Is it bad that my interviews end with every hiring partner telling me "well, there's a lot of applicants for (positionsIcancountonmyhand), so don't be disappointed if you don't get the job. it's highly competitive this year. Even if you don't get it, stay in touch for 2L OCI"

WTF. brosky, if I didn't get the job, just usher me out the door, lol.


At least you're getting firm interviews :) Good luck (even though I think we go to the same school so I'm a tiny bit jealous)!

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby keg411 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:43 am

ilovesf wrote:
Guchster wrote:
Your grades are good. you'll get something nice out of that feb. 1 submission I bet.

Thanks. The only issue for me is that I would prefer a federal internship, but it's likely that if I'm offered the CA CoA it will happen before I ever hear back about the federal one... but federal internships are much more difficult to get, especially in this district, so I don't really want to delay relaying my grades to the state justice in case a federal judge doesn't pan out.


High State court is fun. I did it last year and it was really enjoyable because you get to read opinions and feel all important and academic, rather than just motion practice. They pretty much hire the same type of people that Fed District does anyway (top of the class from local schools). And on my SSC, they also call the judges "Justices" and you must, must, must say "Justice" or they get pissed :lol:.

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:17 pm

Still nothing from the government positions I applied to (outside of one out of office autoreply)

Granted I don't have my grades yet but I thought I'd have heard something...
the one firm I applied to I already received a confirmation of receipt from.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ran12 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was planning on going to a firm reception for 1L's, but after getting that second C, definitely sure they don't want me after they see the transcript.

For people who are slightly below median first semester, does that totally eliminate chances for big law? There's only spring semester to improve grades for 2L OCI and there isn't much grade boosting one could do before then.


You should still go b/c real face time with the firm in a social setting could help. Law is all about networking. Your chances at biglaw will be lower than others but you shouldn't just give up. Just work as hard as you can and hope for the best. Nothing else you can do but move forward.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.