The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 am

Can anyone explain why SDNY requires applicants to fill out an Outlook template? Is the interview going to be through MSN messenger?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:34 am

piccolittle wrote:WAHHHHHHH!!!! TWO INTERVIEWS!!!!!

Left my phone downstairs all day today and just checked my messages to TWO interview requests!! I'm so scared now, guess I gotta bone up on the random crap I said I knew in my cover letter.

Also, just wondering, for SAs if you get an interview are they then going to want to see your grades? Or at that point will it generally just be offer/no offer?
Yay, congrats!! I figured the silence was probably just related to the holidays.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:57 pm

piccolittle wrote:WAHHHHHHH!!!! TWO INTERVIEWS!!!!!

Left my phone downstairs all day today and just checked my messages to TWO interview requests!! I'm so scared now, guess I gotta bone up on the random crap I said I knew in my cover letter.

Also, just wondering, for SAs if you get an interview are they then going to want to see your grades? Or at that point will it generally just be offer/no offer?
Congrats! Good luck!

I was told that if you are borderline they might wait for grades. If they like you would probably get an offer.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:05 pm

First hard ding today.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:09 pm

AreJay711 wrote:First hard ding today.
From a firm? What makes it hard? Sorry :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:35 pm

r6_philly wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:First hard ding today.
From a firm? What makes it hard? Sorry :(
No, not from a firm but a paying PI organization. I just used "hard ding" because they actually emailed me a rejection instead of just silence after the time they said they would be making decisions.

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:23 pm

Anyone: As your grades are trickling in, are you sending places you've interviewed with/gotten grade requests from your grades as they come in, or waiting until all grades are in so you can just send a transcript?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:Anyone: As your grades are trickling in, are you sending places you've interviewed with/gotten grade requests from your grades as they come in, or waiting until all grades are in so you can just send a transcript?
I got 2 of my grades yesterday, I'm waiting on 2 more. I have a feeling the next 2 will be coming any day. I'm going to send an e-mail when I have all my grades and ask if they would like a transcript or just an e-mail with them.

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:44 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:Anyone: As your grades are trickling in, are you sending places you've interviewed with/gotten grade requests from your grades as they come in, or waiting until all grades are in so you can just send a transcript?
I got 2 of my grades yesterday, I'm waiting on 2 more. I have a feeling the next 2 will be coming any day. I'm going to send an e-mail when I have all my grades and ask if they would like a transcript or just an e-mail with them.
That's a good idea. I think I'm going to do the same. I got my first grade back today, but it wasn't due until 1/17. The rest of my grades are due on 1/6. Hopefully they will all be up by the end of the week. I am leaning toward updating places today, and then giving a second and final update on Friday after the rest of grades come in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:15 pm

Just joining this thread because I didn't get around to applications until after exams. Even though I applied late, I have a couple interviews lined up next week. I've never been more nervous about an interview.

Anyway, best of luck to those of you interviewing and waiting to hear back!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Just got an invitation to interview for a PI job I'd really love to work at. I can get summer funding for it from my school but it would still mean paying rent at two places. I'm enthusiastic enough about the org that I'd be willing to scrimp and save to get by, though. Thank God, because I have only had one other interview request so far and was starting to worry that I didn't apply to enough places (since almost none of my other apps have received any sort of response).

jess

Post by jess » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:26 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

jess

Post by jess » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:27 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:48 pm

Jessuf wrote:for judicial internships, are you supposed to wear a suit everyday or does business casual suffice? i always dread wearing suits in florida because it's so damn hot and humid in the summers.
It probably depends on the chambers but of the clerks I've met, one was wearing khakis and an oxford with no tie and the other was in shirt and tie but no jacket.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:00 am

I'm going to a state agency today, the woman on the phone never referred to it as an interview, just kept saying I could drop in sometime and see how I like it, talk some about the type of work, etc.

The big question is, should I wear a suit given that she repeatedly makes it out to be a more casual 'drop in'?

I'm thinking so, just to be safe, just want to be sure.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:41 am

NYC Law wrote:
The big question is, should I wear a suit given that she repeatedly makes it out to be a more casual 'drop in'?
Is the general rule always wear a suit to an interview, even a quasi-interview?

I have a similar situation coming up next week, but I'm still on winter break and didn't bring any of my professional clothes with me and didn't intend to buy a suit and new shoes while I was here.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:10 pm

cinephile wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

I have a similar situation coming up next week, but I'm still on winter break and didn't bring any of my professional clothes with me and didn't intend to buy a suit and new shoes while I was here.
Always a suit unless they specify otherwise.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dabomb75

Bronze

Post by dabomb75 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:54 pm

just got my first interview request I think. The guy just left a voicemail saying he'd like to talk. I dont really know my resume too well though, so definitely gotta brush up on that stuff

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:52 pm

cinephile wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
Absolutely.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:18 pm

Just had an interview with the AUSA. Don't think it went so hot; 75% of the time I was the one asking questions. Meh.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:26 pm

Just had a prosecution interview... The major take away is that I have lots of work to do on my interviewing skills before OCI rolls around

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:30 pm

NYC Law wrote:Just had a prosecution interview... The major take away is that I have lots of work to do on my interviewing skills before OCI rolls around
+180. I plan like the perfect responses and transitions and stuff prior to my interview, but none of it has the opportunity to play out. I don't really know why this happens. Interviews are just too unpredictable.

On a side note, this was my last scheduled interview. I only applied to places I would accept if given an offer on the spot. Is it safe to say I should mail bomb now, or should I hold out for the responses of places I haven't yet heard from? I know most places are just starting to get their summer app process rolling.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:30 pm

adonai wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Just had a prosecution interview... The major take away is that I have lots of work to do on my interviewing skills before OCI rolls around
+180. I plan like the perfect responses and transitions and stuff prior to my interview, but none of it has the opportunity to play out. I don't really know why this happens. Interviews are just too unpredictable.

On a side note, this was my last scheduled interview. I only applied to places I would accept if given an offer on the spot. Is it safe to say I should mail bomb now, or should I hold out for the responses of places I haven't yet heard from? I know most places are just starting to get their summer app process rolling.
Man that was my last scheduled interview too, feeling a little nervous. But I'll prob hold off another week or two, at least until I get my grades, to resume mail bombing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:37 pm

Just had an interview for a fed judicial externship, and was offerred on the spot. Pretty excited as this is exactly what I set out to get for 1L summer employment. Now I know the procedure for post-interview is to mail thank you notes to the judge and clerks, but what about if you were offerred on the spot? My school's externship materials do not address this, and neither do other schools' that I looked at. I was planning on sending the thank yous out until I read those materials, but what is the general approach to this? FWIW I think the judge would appreciate the note, which is another reason I am leaning toward writing/sending the thank yous.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:44 pm

lol. If you think he'll like it, write a nice thank you note and say that you're looking forward to the summer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”