The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shoeshine

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby shoeshine » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:17 am

2014utLaw wrote:Been searching, but I'm having trouble finding much good data, either empirical or anecdotal, that deals with URMs and how good their grades have to be to get SAs.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

The reason you can't find good data is because it is highly subjective. A URM bump for employment varies widely by market and firm. Many people claim that URMs do not get any significant boost outside of diversity SA positions. I really think it depends on the type of URM and the experience of the individual as well.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:38 am

shoeshine wrote:
2014utLaw wrote:Been searching, but I'm having trouble finding much good data, either empirical or anecdotal, that deals with URMs and how good their grades have to be to get SAs.

The reason you can't find good data is because it is highly subjective. A URM bump for employment varies widely by market and firm. Many people claim that URMs do not get any significant boost outside of diversity SA positions. I really think it depends on the type of URM and the experience of the individual as well.

I'd love to see some data on how well 1L diversity SA translate to 2L SA offers. I feel like doing well during 1L summer should open some doors for 2L summer. If that's true, even if being URM isn't directly a boost, it might still get you a better shot for 2L summer.

I can't imagine diversity being a grade boost like how we characterize it in the admission process - because hiring is much more personal than admissions. But diversity should definitely count toward your intangibles. So perhaps if you can get within the grade range of your target firms, your (meaningful) diversity would give you a leg up as compared to other applicants with similar grades, at some firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:16 pm

r6_philly wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

I'd love to see some data on how well 1L diversity SA translate to 2L SA offers. I feel like doing well during 1L summer should open some doors for 2L summer. If that's true, even if being URM isn't directly a boost, it might still get you a better shot for 2L summer.

I can't imagine diversity being a grade boost like how we characterize it in the admission process - because hiring is much more personal than admissions. But diversity should definitely count toward your intangibles. So perhaps if you can get within the grade range of your target firms, your (meaningful) diversity would give you a leg up as compared to other applicants with similar grades, at some firms.

Here's an anecdote: BSEE Asian guy at T14 school got a 1L offer already

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:22 pm

so...how do you prep for a 3 hour. interview?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:49 pm

r6_philly wrote:
shoeshine wrote:

Let's be clear: 1L diversity SA spots aren't anything like law school admissions diversity boosts because 1L diversity SA spots are quotas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Will doing an internship with the state attorney's office be looked down upon come next summer? Its something I'm really interested in doing and have reliable (free) transportation to, which is a big deal. I see everyone signing up for federal and state supreme court internships though and can't help but feel I'll already be looked at as behind.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Will doing an internship with the state attorney's office be looked down upon come next summer? Its something I'm really interested in doing and have reliable (free) transportation to, which is a big deal. I see everyone signing up for federal and state supreme court internships though and can't help but feel I'll already be looked at as behind.

No, I highly doubt it will hurt you.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

But is that because he is Asian or he is BSEE?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Realized immediately after submitting my SEC application that I left the wrong address on the cover letter. FML.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:33 pm

LOL at pretending admissions doesn't use quotas for URMs.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Let's be clear: 1L diversity SA spots aren't anything like law school admissions diversity boosts because 1L diversity SA spots are quotas.

This is an annoying use of the anonymous user function.

Postby 071816 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:02 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Let's be clear: 1L diversity SA spots aren't anything like law school admissions diversity boosts because 1L diversity SA spots are quotas.

This is an annoying use of the anonymous user function.

Agreed. What a little bitch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

But is that because he is Asian or he is BSEE?

Probably the BSEE (patent work), but Asian sure didn't hurt.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:24 pm

Got a phone interview request for a public interest gig in Minneapolis. Not sure how I feel about it since I highly prefer to stay in Chicago but have only heard from 3 or 4 places in Chicago with 1 interview request and a bunch of "Grades, plz!" responses

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:35 pm

Finally got some more movement. Unfortunately, it was a firm telling me that they are not hiring 1Ls this summer, but they did urge me to stay in touch and apply again as a 2L. I guess that's a silver lining.

Sigh, this is not going very well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Will doing an internship with the state attorney's office be looked down upon come next summer? Its something I'm really interested in doing and have reliable (free) transportation to, which is a big deal. I see everyone signing up for federal and state supreme court internships though and can't help but feel I'll already be looked at as behind.

take the state attorney's office position. it will not matter for 2L recruitment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:50 pm

2 judicial interviews so far and they couldn't have been any different- one was almost all sports & hobby talk, the other was rapid fire legal/resume/cover letter critiquing and questioning.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:02 pm

dang, a judge just called me right up and asked me to come by next week. she caught me off guard a bit since i was expecting someone else from that area code- hope i didn't sound too much like an idiot. but anyway, yay!! second interview request today

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:06 pm

I got the biggest curve ball question ever today. The judge asked me what movie or TV show demonstrated my sense of humor. I don't have a sense of humor or watch TV lol.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:13 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I got the biggest curve ball question ever today. The judge asked me what movie or TV show demonstrated my sense of humor. I don't have a sense of humor or watch TV lol.

TCR would have been 16 and Pregnant

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:52 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I got the biggest curve ball question ever today. The judge asked me what movie or TV show demonstrated my sense of humor. I don't have a sense of humor or watch TV lol.

That's a curve ball?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:53 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:dang, a judge just called me right up and asked me to come by next week. she caught me off guard a bit since i was expecting someone else from that area code- hope i didn't sound too much like an idiot. but anyway, yay!! second interview request today

Congrats!

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:53 pm

What'd you say?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:01 pm

ilovesf wrote:

What'd you say?

I told him I don't watch much TV but I like subtle humor but the new Sherlock Holmes movie was hilarious to me. I made the dude laugh though when I said I think I'm a funny guy.... just no one else agrees with me.

Dany wrote:That's a curve ball?

I just don't watch much TV or many movies. And when I do it is shit like Hall Pass which is about needle dicks and exploding sharts.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:04 am

WAHHHHHHH!!!! TWO INTERVIEWS!!!!!

Left my phone downstairs all day today and just checked my messages to TWO interview requests!! I'm so scared now, guess I gotta bone up on the random crap I said I knew in my cover letter.

Also, just wondering, for SAs if you get an interview are they then going to want to see your grades? Or at that point will it generally just be offer/no offer?

Return to “Legal Employment”