The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby kaiser » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:27 pm

Apple Tree wrote:For those of you doing snail mail, are you actually handwriting the signature in all the cover letters?


I did. 140 letters. Looking back, the last week of November was not my fondest memory of 1L.

User avatar
theavrock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby theavrock » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:34 pm

BEAST_mode wrote:Fuck it, I'm snail mailing judicial apps tomorrow. Dating 12/1. At this point, I don't even care about gunning. I just want to be able to spend my entire winter break watching season 4 of breaking bad, playing MW3 for ~12 hours a day, and being a complete waste of life.


+a fucking million

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby NYC Law » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:05 pm

kaiser wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:For those of you doing snail mail, are you actually handwriting the signature in all the cover letters?


I did. 140 letters. Looking back, the last week of November was not my fondest memory of 1L.



I signed 140 letters too. Wasn't bad, the worst part was stuffing envelopes.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:31 pm

You people are mad! I have a client letter due for LRW on Thurs. So I guess I won't be writing cover letters :x

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby 071816 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:08 pm

NYC Law wrote:
kaiser wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:For those of you doing snail mail, are you actually handwriting the signature in all the cover letters?


I did. 140 letters. Looking back, the last week of November was not my fondest memory of 1L.



I signed 140 letters too. Wasn't bad, the worst part was stuffing envelopes.


Did you include a list of references or just a resume, cover letter, and writing sample?

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby NYC Law » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:13 pm

chimp wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
kaiser wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:For those of you doing snail mail, are you actually handwriting the signature in all the cover letters?


I did. 140 letters. Looking back, the last week of November was not my fondest memory of 1L.



I signed 140 letters too. Wasn't bad, the worst part was stuffing envelopes.


Did you include a list of references or just a resume, cover letter, and writing sample?


For judges just a resume and cover letter. We were told not to include anything else unless they request it. (I think, or I read that on TLS)

Just included references/writing samples for the few agencies that request it and only accept mailed applications.

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby minuit » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:17 pm

theavrock wrote:
BEAST_mode wrote:Fuck it, I'm snail mailing judicial apps tomorrow. Dating 12/1. At this point, I don't even care about gunning. I just want to be able to spend my entire winter break watching season 4 of breaking bad, playing MW3 for ~12 hours a day, and being a complete waste of life.


+a fucking million


I sent some out today because it will take two days to get there... :oops: lol hope they see this as a positive "this girl is really dedicated" and not a negative "wtf what a liar, she pre-dated her cover letter"

And I just saw the first two eps of breaking bad and loved it! That's what I will be doing over break!

69Coronet
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:35 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby 69Coronet » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:49 am

Mailed my letters today.
Figured I had them done and ready to be mailed, and they'd be in the judges' hands by the date on the cover letter...

Puttanesca
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:32 pm

Nvm. Got the info elsewhere.
Last edited by Puttanesca on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
drmguy
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby drmguy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:11 pm

My CSO said Nov 30 is fine. As long as it doesn't arrive before Dec. 1.

142 mailed today.

Signing wasn't bad. I wasn't able to get an envelope moistener so licking them was pretty horrendous.

headandshoulderos
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby headandshoulderos » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:21 pm

minuit wrote:
theavrock wrote:
BEAST_mode wrote:Fuck it, I'm snail mailing judicial apps tomorrow. Dating 12/1. At this point, I don't even care about gunning. I just want to be able to spend my entire winter break watching season 4 of breaking bad, playing MW3 for ~12 hours a day, and being a complete waste of life.


+a fucking million


I sent some out today because it will take two days to get there... :oops: lol hope they see this as a positive "this girl is really dedicated" and not a negative "wtf what a liar, she pre-dated her cover letter"

And I just saw the first two eps of breaking bad and loved it! That's what I will be doing over break!


They will probably think - this person doesn't think the rules apply to them. I wouldn't send them early.

69Coronet
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:35 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby 69Coronet » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:22 pm

Really debating whether I want to send out cover letters and resumes tomorrow for 1L SA positions.
I just feel like they're so incredibly difficult to get in the first place, plus I don't and won't have grades until January... I just don't know if I'm a worthwhile candidate.
I have a mailmerge all ready to go get the documents made up, as well as a spreadsheet of email addresses, just not the letter itself. I am finding the process of crafting a cover letter to a firm much more difficult than crafting one for a judge...

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby NYC Law » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:27 pm

drmguy wrote:My CSO said Nov 30 is fine. As long as it doesn't arrive before Dec. 1.

142 mailed today.

Signing wasn't bad. I wasn't able to get an envelope moistener so licking them was pretty horrendous.


Dude, you always send pre-adhesive envelopes (the kind with the peel so it sticks on its own). Thought it was common knowledge that judges hate germs.

69Coronet
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:35 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby 69Coronet » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:54 pm

Guess I failed out of the gate on that one then... :shock:

headandshoulderos
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby headandshoulderos » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:00 pm

NYC Law wrote:
drmguy wrote:My CSO said Nov 30 is fine. As long as it doesn't arrive before Dec. 1.

142 mailed today.

Signing wasn't bad. I wasn't able to get an envelope moistener so licking them was pretty horrendous.


Dude, you always send pre-adhesive envelopes (the kind with the peel so it sticks on its own). Thought it was common knowledge that judges hate germs.


ya licking envelopes is one of the most disgusting things you can do. really foul.

User avatar
BEAST_mode
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:00 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby BEAST_mode » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:03 pm

69Coronet wrote:Really debating whether I want to send out cover letters and resumes tomorrow for 1L SA positions.
I just feel like they're so incredibly difficult to get in the first place, plus I don't and won't have grades until January... I just don't know if I'm a worthwhile candidate.
I have a mailmerge all ready to go get the documents made up, as well as a spreadsheet of email addresses, just not the letter itself. I am finding the process of crafting a cover letter to a firm much more difficult than crafting one for a judge...


I hear you. I'm just going to do it. I'll be happy if the application is even acknowledged. IMHO you just have to go at it with absolutely no expectation.

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby minuit » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:06 pm

headandshoulderos wrote:
minuit wrote:
theavrock wrote:
BEAST_mode wrote:Fuck it, I'm snail mailing judicial apps tomorrow. Dating 12/1. At this point, I don't even care about gunning. I just want to be able to spend my entire winter break watching season 4 of breaking bad, playing MW3 for ~12 hours a day, and being a complete waste of life.


+a fucking million


I sent some out today because it will take two days to get there... :oops: lol hope they see this as a positive "this girl is really dedicated" and not a negative "wtf what a liar, she pre-dated her cover letter"

And I just saw the first two eps of breaking bad and loved it! That's what I will be doing over break!


They will probably think - this person doesn't think the rules apply to them. I wouldn't send them early.


Several people above you would disagree. We shall see and get back to you!

My thought process is this - if they get it on Dec. 1st, and the hiring season opens Dec. 1st, then why does it matter if someone mails it to them or if someone who lives nearby walks in and hands it to them, if both are received on the day?

User avatar
BEAST_mode
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:00 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby BEAST_mode » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:22 pm

This may be a preemptive strike with subjective answers, but for any of the 2L/3Ls lurking ITT, what the hell can you expect at a judicial interview?

User avatar
drmguy
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby drmguy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:30 pm

headandshoulderos wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
drmguy wrote:My CSO said Nov 30 is fine. As long as it doesn't arrive before Dec. 1.

142 mailed today.

Signing wasn't bad. I wasn't able to get an envelope moistener so licking them was pretty horrendous.


Dude, you always send pre-adhesive envelopes (the kind with the peel so it sticks on its own). Thought it was common knowledge that judges hate germs.


ya licking envelopes is one of the most disgusting things you can do. really foul.


They didn't tell me that anything is wrong with it. I am not worried about it.

69Coronet
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:35 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby 69Coronet » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:43 pm

I used an envelope moistener, but I assumed NYC Law's post was sarcastic.
I highly doubt most of the judges will even be opening their own envelopes, or that they will really pay attention to how that envelope is sealed...

BEAST_mode wrote:
69Coronet wrote:Really debating whether I want to send out cover letters and resumes tomorrow for 1L SA positions.
I just feel like they're so incredibly difficult to get in the first place, plus I don't and won't have grades until January... I just don't know if I'm a worthwhile candidate.
I have a mailmerge all ready to go get the documents made up, as well as a spreadsheet of email addresses, just not the letter itself. I am finding the process of crafting a cover letter to a firm much more difficult than crafting one for a judge...


I hear you. I'm just going to do it. I'll be happy if the application is even acknowledged. IMHO you just have to go at it with absolutely no expectation.


I've also now drafted up a pretty decent cover letter and I figure I'll send it out, like you said, with no expectations at all.
I'm also not applying to that many firms in the first place, so I figure that gives me even less of a shot, and therefore even less expectations.
I did the same thing when I sent out the packets to the judges... no expectations, if I don't get anything I'll search for another opportunity.

User avatar
drmguy
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby drmguy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:55 pm

He didn't press control + alt + sarcasm when he typed it so there was no telling.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby NYC Law » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:27 pm

Yeah I was joking, I licked mine. I still refrained from posting about the pain of licking all those envelopes earlier since I figured someone would chime in on a serious note to say you never lick the envelopes.

rv11
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:58 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby rv11 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:37 pm

Best time to send email application to firms if planning for tomorrow? Midnight? Mid-morning? Afternoon? Overthinking it?
Last edited by rv11 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby RPK34 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:37 pm

Shit, just realized I forgot to sign all my cover letters. Put my name, but forgot to sign by hand. Whatever.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby shock259 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:43 pm

Sent 224 out today. Did resume + cover letter. Mail merged the cover letters w/ judge info. Mail merged labels and printed those too. It took literally all afternoon to stuff all those envelopes. I signed them all, but my signature is literally some scribbles and takes 0.5 seconds. I'm so good at folding paper into 3rds. I bought the sticky peel envelopes. Best extra $10 I've ever spent. Some of my labels got a little fucked up, so I had to handwrite a few.

Went to the post office today to mail them. I was hoping they had some automatic machine or something. Turns out, no. So I bought 230 stamps and went nuts. Pretty sure the postal staff thought I was crazy.

Oh well. Now I can focus on exams.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.