The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
piccolittle

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby piccolittle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Guys, give shoeshine a break! I'm happy for his/her results, even if I wish it were me. Care to share some of what you think made you successful?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:48 pm

I feel you, shoeshine. From the moment I have to climb over the pile of women in bed with me every morning to the time I have to choose whether to watch my midnight movie on my iPad in my solarium or on the big screen in my personal theater, I am faced with having too many good options and not enough free time to handle all the success. I had to build a second garage because I couldn't drive both of my BMWs at once, I had to turn down two of HYS because I got into all three, I only had enough time during my Vegas birthday bash to let Toby Keith play and I couldn't fit in Carrie Underwood and Garth Brooks, and I'm constantly double-booking my date nights accidentally and ending up with two supermodels at my house on the same night (who frequently aren't down to just make it a threesome). Sometimes I regret having so much opportunity,because there are only so many hours in the day, you know?

Postby 071816 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:51 pm

My house is so god damn big that the wifi didn't reach every room so I had to buy another router. FML

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:45 pm

piccolittle wrote:Guys, give shoeshine a break! I'm happy for his/her results, even if I wish it were me. Care to share some of what you think made you successful?

URM + Strong Secondary Hometown + T14 = $$$

ran12

Postby ran12 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:46 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I feel you, shoeshine. From the moment I have to climb over the pile of women in bed with me every morning to the time I have to choose whether to watch my midnight movie on my iPad in my solarium or on the big screen in my personal theater, I am faced with having too many good options and not enough free time to handle all the success. I had to build a second garage because I couldn't drive both of my BMWs at once, I had to turn down two of HYS because I got into all three, I only had enough time during my Vegas birthday bash to let Toby Keith play and I couldn't fit in Carrie Underwood and Garth Brooks, and I'm constantly double-booking my date nights accidentally and ending up with two supermodels at my house on the same night (who frequently aren't down to just make it a threesome). Sometimes I regret having so much opportunity,because there are only so many hours in the day, you know?

BMW's aren't that nice

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:02 pm

ran12 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:I feel you, shoeshine. From the moment I have to climb over the pile of women in bed with me every morning to the time I have to choose whether to watch my midnight movie on my iPad in my solarium or on the big screen in my personal theater, I am faced with having too many good options and not enough free time to handle all the success. I had to build a second garage because I couldn't drive both of my BMWs at once, I had to turn down two of HYS because I got into all three, I only had enough time during my Vegas birthday bash to let Toby Keith play and I couldn't fit in Carrie Underwood and Garth Brooks, and I'm constantly double-booking my date nights accidentally and ending up with two supermodels at my house on the same night (who frequently aren't down to just make it a threesome). Sometimes I regret having so much opportunity,because there are only so many hours in the day, you know?

BMW's aren't that nice

What a relevant comment.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:25 pm

NYC Law wrote:
piccolittle wrote:Guys, give shoeshine a break! I'm happy for his/her results, even if I wish it were me. Care to share some of what you think made you successful?

URM + Strong Secondary Hometown + T14 = $$$

Damn. NYC is my hometown. Anyone hear from NY firms? All I have is two rejections.

<-- screwed

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:26 pm

ran12 wrote:

BMW's aren't that nice

I don't go to a T14, but I haz LR and BigLaw and drive a 6-series and have no debt. Everything's ok.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:06 am

i enjoyed your post.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:11 am

ilovesf wrote:Blahhh the offers here are stressing me out because I need to send more applications, but all I want to do is shop and watch christmas movies!

same here. i am willing to do anything but look for jobs, write new cover letters, and send out apps.

before i do anything more, i might just wait until grades are released. the northern district requires transcripts, anyway.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:15 am

Lasers wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Blahhh the offers here are stressing me out because I need to send more applications, but all I want to do is shop and watch christmas movies!

same here. i am willing to do anything but look for jobs, write new cover letters, and send out apps.

before i do anything more, i might just wait until grades are released. the northern district requires transcripts, anyway.

Yeah I want the northern district the most but the competition is so stiff that I don't want to think about those apps until grades are back. I have around 10 apps I want to send for PIPS day, but they only start accepting them on the 3rd.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:33 am

Lasers wrote:

i enjoyed your post.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:14 am

ilovesf wrote:
Lasers wrote:

Yeah I want the northern district the most but the competition is so stiff that I don't want to think about those apps until grades are back. I have around 10 apps I want to send for PIPS day, but they only start accepting them on the 3rd.

yeah, i have no illusions that i have a chance at the northern district, but i might as well try depending on my grades.

i just started looking at the stuff for pi/ps day now, so i'm glad i have a few days to get things in order on that front.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:22 pm

Happy holidays! And yayy for us 1Ls finishing our first semester of law school. We did it!

I have an interview lined up over winter break in a pretty strong (hometown) secondary market. Supposed to be about 2-3 hours (with lunch). Go to a T14, not URM but considered a diverse student.

I was wondering if firms send out interview invites to a lot of candidates? I guess I just don't want to get my hopes up in case like over half the people who send in their resumes get interviewed.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:21 pm

Checking in. I am failing miserably at writing cover letters, which is all that stands between me and applying. WTF do I write in a cover letter that shows a firm or judge that I researched them and am genuinely interested in working with them? Everything I've come up with sounds like contrived drivel. Ughhhh.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:33 pm

Magnolia wrote:Checking in. I am failing miserably at writing cover letters, which is all that stands between me and applying. WTF do I write in a cover letter that shows a firm or judge that I researched them and am genuinely interested in working with them? Everything I've come up with sounds like contrived drivel. Ughhhh.

Honestly, my cover letters are barely customized. I wouldn't worry too much about making each one seem deeply researched.

ETA: It's obviously impossible to tell what would have happened, but I don't think it has hurt my application responses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:13 pm

So far only 1 rejection and 1 response saying that the firm hasn't started it's hiring process but will hold on to my materials until they do. I have a few informational interviews lined up over the break with some alumni, so at least I can get my network on during the break. Having my home market be a major market kinda blows.

Here's hoping the new year bring some responses for those of us who have yet to hear back from most of the places we applied to.

Judge Philip Banks

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:01 pm

Magnolia wrote:Checking in. I am failing miserably at writing cover letters, which is all that stands between me and applying. WTF do I write in a cover letter that shows a firm or judge that I researched them and am genuinely interested in working with them? Everything I've come up with sounds like contrived drivel. Ughhhh.

Yeah, don't force any customization. I think that could be off-putting and possibly hurt your chances. If your school's OCS has reviews by students who were former clerks or externs, you can look through those and see what people said about that judge (or firm if there are such reviews), and mention in your cover letter that the judge is well-respected, well-liked, etc. by former clerks/externs from your school. Sounds kind of cliche or contrived, but it might sound better than forcing some awkward line about how you loved their recent opinion in In re I looked you up on Lexis but don't know anything about you or this case.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:32 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:

Yeah, don't force any customization. I think that could be off-putting and possibly hurt your chances. If your school's OCS has reviews by students who were former clerks or externs, you can look through those and see what people said about that judge (or firm if there are such reviews), and mention in your cover letter that the judge is well-respected, well-liked, etc. by former clerks/externs from your school. Sounds kind of cliche or contrived, but it might sound better than forcing some awkward line about how you loved their recent opinion in In re I looked you up on Lexis but don't know anything about you or this case.

Customization by mentioning you're from the area or you have some ties to the region is the only useful customization for both firms and judges. For the most prestigious judges, it can't hurt to throw in a sentence about why you're interested in them (e.g. law and economics, something about their writing style, etc.). At least, that's what I did and I've gotten three interview requests so far with CoA judges.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:35 pm

Got first interview request

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:46 pm

Flips88 wrote:Got first interview request

Congrats!! Mind sharing what kind of organization/market?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:50 pm

piccolittle wrote:

Chicago office of federal government agency.

Edit for clarification

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:11 pm

Flips88 wrote:
piccolittle wrote:

Chicago office of federal government agency.

Edit for clarification

Well done and good luck! :)

target

Postby target » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:17 pm

I wonder if anyone applied for USAO in northern cal and heard from them?

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:50 pm

Have an interview with a judge in about a week and just now realized I have no idea what the hell to expect when I walk through the door... sooo any insight?

Return to “Legal Employment”