The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby adonai » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:How soon after a judicial interview should you send out a thank you? Same day, right?

Yup. But you may want to wait a day just in case they call you to offer you the same day. I was actually writing my thank you letter as I got my phone call ding. LOL felt so stupid.

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:03 pm

adonai wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:How soon after a judicial interview should you send out a thank you? Same day, right?

Yup. But you may want to wait a day just in case they call you to offer you the same day. I was actually writing my thank you letter as I got my phone call ding. LOL felt so stupid.

Haha that kinda sucks. At least they got you before you sent it out. Unless you want to go for the post-ding guilt-trip, in which case you should have sent that sucka out.

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Just wrote out the first thank you letter to a judge. My handwriting is neat, but still looks like a fifth grader's penmanship. I feel like this can only hurt me...

User avatar
theavrock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby theavrock » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Why not type and then hand sign?

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:06 pm

theavrock wrote:Why not type and then hand sign?

That was my original plan, but a recent former clerk told me to send handwritten thank you notes...

User avatar
theavrock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby theavrock » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:18 pm

Interesting. That seems counterintuitive for people like myself who have the hand writing of a 5 year old.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Interviewed for my dream summer job the other day, and I think it went pretty well (no awkward pauses, everything flowed pretty conversationally, don't think I said anything stupid, etc.) But I won't hear from them for at least like 6 weeks since they want grades and they just started interviewing 1Ls, and I'm not at all confident that my grades will be impressive. :oops:

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:08 pm

theavrock wrote:Interesting. That seems counterintuitive for people like myself who have the hand writing of a 5 year old.

Seriously. I just went ahead and mailed out the handwritten ones I did because they felt more personal and time-intensive. It probably does not matter either way though. Not like a thank you is going to make or break you (unless you make a typo or spelling mistake).

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13605
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Flips88 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:11 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:
theavrock wrote:Interesting. That seems counterintuitive for people like myself who have the hand writing of a 5 year old.

Seriously. I just went ahead and mailed out the handwritten ones I did because they felt more personal and time-intensive. It probably does not matter either way though. Not like a thank you is going to make or break you (unless you make a typo or spelling mistake).

"Dear Judge X,

TYFTI. 'ppreciate it. <3 you a milli.

Cordially,

Desperate 1L"

User avatar
Judge Philip Banks
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Judge Philip Banks » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Judge Philip Banks wrote:
theavrock wrote:Interesting. That seems counterintuitive for people like myself who have the hand writing of a 5 year old.

Seriously. I just went ahead and mailed out the handwritten ones I did because they felt more personal and time-intensive. It probably does not matter either way though. Not like a thank you is going to make or break you (unless you make a typo or spelling mistake).

"Dear Judge X,

TYFTI. 'ppreciate it. <3 you a milli.

Cordially,

Desperate 1L"

The next generation's thank you letter template...

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Lwoods » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:41 pm

Eeps, just got another offer! (From the judge who had requested a writing sample.) I have to turn it down, right? I guess this is a good dilemma to have.

User avatar
theavrock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby theavrock » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:19 pm

If you already accepted a job with a different judge then absent some other circumstances yes. Congrats on both offers but this sounds pretty easy.

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby piccolittle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:24 pm

Wow, it's amazing how little motivation I have to apply for jobs now that I have nothing else to do.

ETA: Also, would it be really bad form to submit a 12-page writing sample? I'm way too lazy to cut it down lol

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:29 pm

piccolittle wrote:Wow, it's amazing how little motivation I have to apply for jobs now that I have nothing else to do.

ETA: Also, would it be really bad form to submit a 12-page writing sample? I'm way too lazy to cut it down lol


Just omit entire sections.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:51 pm

So the general consensus is that there is no need to go to firm holiday / new year receptions, right? Absent impressing the fuck out of someone at the firm (which wouldn't happen) am I losing anything by not going?

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Lwoods » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:59 pm

theavrock wrote:If you already accepted a job with a different judge then absent some other circumstances yes. Congrats on both offers but this sounds pretty easy.


True. This particular judge had just caught my eye from the beginning, so it'll be tough to turn down. The first is a great opportunity, though, that I'm really looking forward to.


Just a general suggestion for those of you just now sending out letters to judges: I'd advise you to stick to positions you'd really want. I lucked out. I sent letters to the handful of federal judges in town as well as the state supreme court justices. Both of my offers are from federal judges. I'm glad I didn't receive any interest from the state supreme court justices because I quickly realized that I would prefer working for a federal judge. It's a tricky balance because you don't want to miss opportunities, but you also need to be prepared to accept your first offer. This applies to cities you're considering as well as types of judges. If you know you prefer one city over another, seek out those positions first.

...and be sure to have a good resume and cover letter so that your narrow focus still gives rise to offers. ;)

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Lwoods » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:02 pm

AreJay711 wrote:So the general consensus is that there is no need to go to firm holiday / new year receptions, right? Absent impressing the fuck out of someone at the firm (which wouldn't happen) am I losing anything by not going?


Probably depends on the firm. The V10 I used to work for is pretty grade focused, so there's very little you'd be able to do at the reception to help yourself. However, other firms (Jones Day comes to mind) focus a lot on "fit," so if you seem to be a good fit at the reception, they might remember that come interview season next summer.

I personally don't turn down opportunities to network. You never know how an opportunity is going to fall into your lap, and at the very least, it's good practice.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11776
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Blahhh the offers here are stressing me out because I need to send more applications, but all I want to do is shop and watch christmas movies!

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby shoeshine » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:03 pm

WTF is going on today. I am in Christmas mode (i.e. not thinking about the law or jobs).

I have gotten two calls from firms asking to schedule interviews. One of them had previously sent me a rejection letter. It has been 22 days since I sent those firms my resume. Why three days before Christmas?

I think I may have over played my hand here. I should have only scheduled interviews with the firms I was serious about.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Dany » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:06 pm

shoeshine wrote:WTF is going on today. I am in Christmas mode (i.e. not thinking about the law or jobs).

I have gotten two calls from firms asking to schedule interviews. One of them had previously sent me a rejection letter. It has been 22 days since I sent those firms my resume. Why three days before Christmas?

I think I may have over played my hand here. I should have only scheduled interviews with the firms I was serious about.

You poor thing.

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby adonai » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:07 pm

shoeshine wrote:WTF is going on today. I am in Christmas mode (i.e. not thinking about the law or jobs).

I have gotten two calls from firms asking to schedule interviews. One of them had previously sent me a rejection letter. It has been 22 days since I sent those firms my resume. Why three days before Christmas?

I think I may have over played my hand here. I should have only scheduled interviews with the firms I was serious about.

Must be hard being you! :|

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Haymarket » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:13 pm

shoeshine wrote:WTF is going on today. I am in Christmas mode (i.e. not thinking about the law or jobs).

I have gotten two calls from firms asking to schedule interviews. One of them had previously sent me a rejection letter. It has been 22 days since I sent those firms my resume. Why three days before Christmas?

I think I may have over played my hand here. I should have only scheduled interviews with the firms I was serious about.

See Haymarket et al., supra

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby shoeshine » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:18 pm

Yeah, I will stop posting in here. Sorry.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby 071816 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:42 pm

shoeshine stole the sweater that my grandmother knitted for me :cry:

User avatar
theavrock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby theavrock » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:48 pm

shoeshine wrote:Yeah, I will stop posting in here. Sorry.


Probably should your just being a douche now. was willing to give you the benefit but then you took my xmas cookies and posted this.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.