The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:13 pm

Good luck! Maybe we'll be officemates this summer? :P

I think that most firms in Texas probs didn't begin review until yesterday, which explains why calls are going out hardcore today and likely this week (implying this from my one-person experience, lol). Also because I"m so far away from Texas, they might be worried about missing me during my break, so they might be trying to arrange my interview asap? The latter is true, but it still doesn't explain why the phone-bomb happened today.

drudgemyhuff

Postby drudgemyhuff » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Good luck! Maybe we'll be officemates this summer? :P

I think that most firms in Texas probs didn't begin review until yesterday, which explains why calls are going out hardcore today and likely this week (implying this from my one-person experience, lol). Also because I"m so far away from Texas, they might be worried about missing me during my break, so they might be trying to arrange my interview asap? The latter is true, but it still doesn't explain why the phone-bomb happened today.

I just think this week is the week many firms in the market get back to folks. I received two calls today and had an e-mail offer to interview last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Just had a phone interview with the EPA in DC this summer that I felt like went well. Also got an interview request for a small litigation boutique for the summer.

Very stoked about today since for the most part my judicial internship and firm apps have been ignored.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:35 pm

drudgemyhuff wrote:I just think this week is the week many firms in the market get back to folks. I received two calls today and had an e-mail offer to interview last week.

I hope you are right. My mailbox is lonely.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yay, finally got an interview with a firm! Applied December 2. Secondary market in the western United States (not West Coast). Doesn't pay primary market rates but pays market rate for the market it's in. School range is MVP. Non-URM. Strong ties to the city.

Same anon poster. Got another interview today at a different large firm in the same city. Applied end of last week. Applying to your home market works: 50% want to interview me.

Has anyone had success with firms in primary markets, specifically Los Angeles? Nothing but radio silence for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:12 pm

URM, T10, Texas Markets -

I have received a ton of invitations to receptions in TX, but haven't received any interview requests yet. I am patiently waiting by my phone.

Congrats to those of you with interview schedules already.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:25 pm

So my interview consisted of ten minutes of serious questions and then we talked about college football for 45 minutes (we like the same teams). Then I was introduced to a bunch of different people.

...I am not sure if that means I did well or not. I am starting to doubt how serious my interview was.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:26 pm

shoeshine wrote:So my interview consisted of ten minutes of serious questions and then we talked about college football for 45 minutes (we like the same teams). Then I was introduced to a bunch of different people.

...I am not sure if that means I did well or not. I am starting to doubt how serious my interview was.

What city did you interview? You don't have to be too specific.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:31 pm

finished my exams! celebration today, apps continue tomorrow :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
shoeshine wrote:So my interview consisted of ten minutes of serious questions and then we talked about college football for 45 minutes (we like the same teams). Then I was introduced to a bunch of different people.

What city did you interview? You don't have to be too specific.

(I am a different guy)
My interview consisted of:
30 minutes talking about the mavs
15 minutes talking about how I speak a foreign language
30 minutes talking about computer architecture
30 minutes talking about my writing skills
1 hr of me asking ppl questions

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:13 pm

I got a reply from a CA CoA justice saying he isn't taking any externs at all this summer. This leads me to wonder, why do some choose to take externs and some don't? I don't think he would just lie about that in a letter, because he doesn't have to respond at all, like most of the others are doing.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(I am a different guy)

Wow, long interview. Glad mine are only supposed to last about an hour.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:18 pm

ilovesf wrote:I got a reply from a CA CoA justice saying he isn't taking any externs at all this summer. This leads me to wonder, why do some choose to take externs and some don't? I don't think he would just lie about that in a letter, because he doesn't have to respond at all, like most of the others are doing.

The fact that interns/externs can be more of a detriment than benefit. They have to find room for you plus a lot of the stuff their clerks can do a lot faster and better than the time it would take to explain and make sure you know what you're doing.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:20 pm

Was this on the phone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yay, finally got an interview with a firm! Applied December 2. Secondary market in the western United States (not West Coast). Doesn't pay primary market rates but pays market rate for the market it's in. School range is MVP. Non-URM. Strong ties to the city.

Same anon poster. Got another interview today at a different large firm in the same city. Applied end of last week. Applying to your home market works: 50% want to interview me.

Has anyone had success with firms in primary markets, specifically Los Angeles? Nothing but radio silence for me.

I have received grade requests from diversity programs in LA and NY. No response from direct emailing yet.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:28 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:(I am a different guy)

Wow, long interview. Glad mine are only supposed to last about an hour.

Yeah all my interviews back in my home market are supposed to last about 3 hours plus lunch. The one today and the only other one I have in a major market are only for around an hour.

I am not sure why this is. I talked to CDO about that and it seems like 1L hiring practices and interviews vary widely by firm.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:50 pm

Question: I knew the deadline was tom. for the USAO I wanted to apply to. I figured after I finished my last exam I would apply to it before 5pm. I just realized I can't email it, have to snail mail the app. I'm assuming this is now out of the question, or is there a slight chance they'll accept it as long as it is post marked by 12/15?

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:51 pm

Mike12188 wrote:Question: I knew the deadline was tom. for the USAO I wanted to apply to. I figured after I finished my last exam I would apply to it before 5pm. I just realized I can't email it, have to snail mail the app. I'm assuming this is now out of the question, or is there a slight chance they'll accept it as long as it is post marked by 12/15?

call them and ask

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:44 pm

oops. just realized i forgot to sign my cover letters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:17 pm

Just got a few calls for interviews with firms in a midwestern secondary market, 1 V100 and the others are NLJ250. Strong family ties to the area, I go to a T20 school. Good luck to everyone, some positions are out there!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:55 am

So I was contacted by a firm off my mass mailing. The recruiting coordinator wanted to know when I would be in town so she could coordinate a date and time with an attorney. First, Im assuming this means I secured an interview, no? Since I let her know my available dates, its been 3 or 4 days of silence. Would it be proper to email the recruiter to see what is up?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:16 pm

FINALLY some movement. Sent out a bunch of apps on the first to a major market and had't head anything back. A rejection from a big firms (something about limited 1L positions, yadda yadda), but at least I know that things are moving. Hopefully I get some better news soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FINALLY some movement. Sent out a bunch of apps on the first to a major market and had't head anything back. A rejection from a big firms (something about limited 1L positions, yadda yadda), but at least I know that things are moving. Hopefully I get some better news soon.

DC firm? Same here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FINALLY some movement. Sent out a bunch of apps on the first to a major market and had't head anything back. A rejection from a big firms (something about limited 1L positions, yadda yadda), but at least I know that things are moving. Hopefully I get some better news soon.

DC firm? Same here.

Yup. Glad to know they are looking at stuff in DC. Hopefully we both hear something good soon :)

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I was contacted by a firm off my mass mailing. The recruiting coordinator wanted to know when I would be in town so she could coordinate a date and time with an attorney. First, Im assuming this means I secured an interview, no? Since I let her know my available dates, its been 3 or 4 days of silence. Would it be proper to email the recruiter to see what is up?

Yes, you secured an interview. Whether you should email her depends on when you told her you would be available. If you said next week, you should email her to see what's up. If you said second week of January, she probably hasn't gotten back to you b/c they might not know their schedules that far in advance.

Return to “Legal Employment”