The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ilovesf

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Puttanesca wrote:Anyone hear from a firm or judge in California - LA/SF/OC?

I got a request for my grades when they come out from a state CoA justice in SF and a rejection

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:09 pm

I'd love a grades request right about now - might be the only thing that will keep me motivated lol

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:11 pm

piccolittle wrote:I'd love a grades request right about now - might be the only thing that will keep me motivated lol

i have no idea how much it actually means or how many people they request grades from, i don't think it's that much to get excited about

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:23 pm

ilovesf wrote:
piccolittle wrote:I'd love a grades request right about now - might be the only thing that will keep me motivated lol

i have no idea how much it actually means or how many people they request grades from, i don't think it's that much to get excited about

Lol yeah I meant in terms of actually getting me to care about exams... <-- slacker

target

Postby target » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:24 pm

I got one rejection from a state COA justice. One law school grade request from fed district court.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:39 pm

It is probably too late to shoot out applications for firms right? I sent out a few but the silence has me expecting dings.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:20 pm

AreJay711 wrote:It is probably too late to shoot out applications for firms right? I sent out a few but the silence has me expecting dings.

If judges are asking for grades, wouldn't it mean it's not too late? (if they actually are interested in looking at your grades)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Personally I have a "we will get back to you" replies. Our classes ended today, so I guess I should switch to my exam prep mode now.

drudgemyhuff

Postby drudgemyhuff » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:23 pm

Sent out about 20 to my home market. I have heard back from 3. 2 updates on "app being reviewed" basis and one offer to interview (V50).

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:32 pm

ilovesf wrote:

Getting a grade request sure beats getting a rejection though. At least you know the firm is probably hiring/considering hiring.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:36 pm

pjo wrote:
shoeshine wrote:
Cubyfan21 wrote:How excited should I be if a firm requests my undergraduate transcript?

I was just thinking this exact same thing. I hope it means we are in the running for interviews. Good luck!

Shoeshine, what is your school range? what geographic region for the firms?

I am at a T14, as I said before I am not from a coast or primary market. I don't want to be more descriptive than that.

cruelestgame

Postby cruelestgame » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:18 pm

are you guys responding to grade requests...or is it more like just sending it out once you get them?

proverbs120

Postby proverbs120 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:45 pm

Hey, 2L here, just looked at the thread for the first time and thought I'd pipe in a little:

1) To anybody asking whether it's too late to apply to judges--definitely not. I hadn't even begun to think about applying for summer jobs at this point last year. I got my judicial internship during spring break in March. Sure, some judges move WAY faster than that, and if you have time you should get on it, but it's not too late.

2) Also, FWIW, I think I mostly got that internship because I crushed fall semester grades--another reason to focus on finals right now.

3) I ended up interning at the court of fed claims in Washington. I think it slides under a lot of people's radar, because some people don't know about it and others are maybe too concerned about working for a more prestigious federal judge. HOWEVER, I had a great experience, and in terms of prestige, I don't think it mattered. I had great stuff to talk about at OCI, and OCI went well for me. Additionally, as far as clerkships go--most bigtime fed judges have a policy of not hiring old interns. Mine encouraged me to remember them. He was also one of my references for law firms. Great guy. Anyway, I ended up talking to my clerks about it over the summer, and I think they only had 10-12 applications for two spots, so not bad odds.

Anyway, just want to inject my two cents because, again, I hadn't even written my first cover letter at this time last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi goons,

what's the deal with HB fast track? I asked for a 1L summer associate position and they offered to interview me for fast track. does that mean i was dinged from the 1L sa?

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:53 pm

cruelestgame wrote:are you guys responding to grade requests...or is it more like just sending it out once you get them?

Yes, I am responding to grade requests. I am just saying that grades won't be available under late Jan./early Feb. and that I would be happy to forward them my transcript at that time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:10 am

Interview w/ 9th Cir. judge.

target

Postby target » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:

That's amazing. I didn't realize Fed COAs take 1Ls as intern.
Last edited by target on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Same here. What state/region?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

SoCal. You?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

SoCal. You?

Same here. Wonder if we have the same judge. I only know of two judges who take 1L interns, but then again I could be wrong and there are more.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:10 am

proverbs120 wrote:Hey, 2L here, just looked at the thread for the first time and thought I'd pipe in a little:

1) To anybody asking whether it's too late to apply to judges--definitely not. I hadn't even begun to think about applying for summer jobs at this point last year. I got my judicial internship during spring break in March. Sure, some judges move WAY faster than that, and if you have time you should get on it, but it's not too late.

2) Also, FWIW, I think I mostly got that internship because I crushed fall semester grades--another reason to focus on finals right now.

3) I ended up interning at the court of fed claims in Washington. I think it slides under a lot of people's radar, because some people don't know about it and others are maybe too concerned about working for a more prestigious federal judge. HOWEVER, I had a great experience, and in terms of prestige, I don't think it mattered. I had great stuff to talk about at OCI, and OCI went well for me. Additionally, as far as clerkships go--most bigtime fed judges have a policy of not hiring old interns. Mine encouraged me to remember them. He was also one of my references for law firms. Great guy. Anyway, I ended up talking to my clerks about it over the summer, and I think they only had 10-12 applications for two spots, so not bad odds.

Anyway, just want to inject my two cents because, again, I hadn't even written my first cover letter at this time last year.

Oh, I think my question got confused. I wanted to know if it was too late to apply to firms. I know it is fine for judges (one even wrote me back and said he didn't even consider people until Feb when grades were out).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi goons,

what's the deal with HB fast track? I asked for a 1L summer associate position and they offered to interview me for fast track. does that mean i was dinged from the 1L sa?

I got this too. I don't know about the 1L summer program, but I set up my interview date for the fast track program already. Supposedly it is a recruiting tool for students from top law schools and they select ~30 to participate. I think there are pretty good odds that if you participate as a 1L you will land a 2L summer position.

pjo

Postby pjo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi goons,

I got this too. I don't know about the 1L summer program, but I set up my interview date for the fast track program already. Supposedly it is a recruiting tool for students from top law schools and they select ~30 to participate. I think there are pretty good odds that if you participate as a 1L you will land a 2L summer position.

What is HB?

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:09 pm

Are you all sending writing samples along with your cover letter and resume? I've only been sending writing samples to the firms/judges who specifically ask for one on the firm/court website, but I'm not sure if it would be better or not to go ahead and send a writing sample to everywhere I apply.

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:14 pm

Puttanesca wrote:Are you all sending writing samples along with your cover letter and resume? I've only been sending writing samples to the firms/judges who specifically ask for one on the firm/court website, but I'm not sure if it would be better or not to go ahead and send a writing sample to everywhere I apply.

Your approach seems to be the credited one according to TLS wisdom. It's what I did, FWIW.

Return to “Legal Employment”