The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:44 pm

shoeshine wrote:Just got an undergrad transcript request from my dream firm (In a major market)!

congrats! 8)

User avatar
theavrock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby theavrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:51 pm

shoeshine wrote:I am trying to think strategy now. I have five firm interviews lined up when I go home. They are all roughly the same week. I am wondering what my strategy should be to definitely land at least one. If I get no offered after getting five interviews I will be really upset.

1. Should I mention I am interviewing at other firms (two of the recruiters have already asked)?
2. Should I go balls out at each one and just take the first one that offers me?
3. Should I try to see where I would be the best fit?
4. Should I use vault or chambers guides to judge the financial health or prestige of the firms and choose from that?


You have two weeks to accept any offer that comes. I would not bring it up just to bring it up, but if it is natural bring up the fact that you are interviewing other places.

I would in your research figure out which ones you like best. That's only natural once you have an interview.

From there wait until you actually have offers. One step in front of the other my friend. Congrats on the interviews!

Cubyfan21
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Cubyfan21 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:53 pm

How excited should I be if a firm requests my undergraduate transcript?

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby shoeshine » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:55 pm

Cubyfan21 wrote:How excited should I be if a firm requests my undergraduate transcript?

I was just thinking this exact same thing. I hope it means we are in the running for interviews. Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273442
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:56 pm

Puttanesca wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Well now I'm in a dilemma... I'm scared to even interact with Judges since the offer can come at any point and you have to accept... but I reallllly think I'd like to work in government over the summer since I don't really have any interest in litigation, and that would probably be more interesting for me... But I think Government hiring probably doesn't even start until Jan....

ETA: Have my first interview lined up!!!! With a Fed. Magistrate Judge.
So is the consensus that Fed Magistrate = Fed District for OCI purposes?


Congrats on getting the interview.

Wait...we have to accept? My CSO told us that we didn't have to accept, but that once we did accept, we could not renege.


Is this what most people have heard? I have a few interviews with judges lined up and the one that I want the most is in the middle. I'm not sure if I'd turn an offer down but I just wanted to know if it would be bad to ask when the judge would like an answer.

Also, I know for clerkship purposes, a state supreme court = federal district court but is that true for internships as well?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Well now I'm in a dilemma... I'm scared to even interact with Judges since the offer can come at any point and you have to accept... but I reallllly think I'd like to work in government over the summer since I don't really have any interest in litigation, and that would probably be more interesting for me... But I think Government hiring probably doesn't even start until Jan....

ETA: Have my first interview lined up!!!! With a Fed. Magistrate Judge.
So is the consensus that Fed Magistrate = Fed District for OCI purposes?


Congrats on getting the interview.

Wait...we have to accept? My CSO told us that we didn't have to accept, but that once we did accept, we could not renege.


Is this what most people have heard? I have a few interviews with judges lined up and the one that I want the most is in the middle. I'm not sure if I'd turn an offer down but I just wanted to know if it would be bad to ask when the judge would like an answer.

Also, I know for clerkship purposes, a state supreme court = federal district court but is that true for internships as well?

I heard you don't really say no to a judge/justice - that's why you have to make sure that's what you want to do before you apply. Of course, if you already have something else lined up you have to say no. When you're offered something, the smart thing to do is say, great, thank you, by which date would you like an answer? Some people will understand this, especially if for financial reasons you have to try your best to get a paying gig.

Cubyfan21
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Cubyfan21 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Also, do firms usually line up there interviews before break, or do most firms wait until grades are out?

maximator
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:33 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby maximator » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Cubyfan21 wrote:Also, do firms usually line up there interviews before break, or do most firms wait until grades are out?


It will vary, most will do at least some interviewing during the break. If you are going to be at home in a market that is not where your school is located, it's probably worth it to try to point this out to the firms.

WhirledWorld
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:04 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby WhirledWorld » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:32 pm

As a white dude, I am blown away to have three SA interviews lined up and one already scheduled with the firm president and vice president. Crazy.

Applying to your home market definitely works.

And I thought I was wasting my time trying to find a 1L SA...

User avatar
NinerFan
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby NinerFan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:12 am

WhirledWorld wrote:As a white dude, I am blown away to have three SA interviews lined up and one already scheduled with the firm president and vice president. Crazy.

Applying to your home market definitely works.

And I thought I was wasting my time trying to find a 1L SA...


Advice: Make sure you're ready to lie and swear undying loyalty and faith to your hometown during those interviews.

And if that's not your target market, get ready to explain during 2L why you actually want to work in X market instead of hometown. Not that I'm trying to dissuade you, because it can be done. It's just something to keep in mind.

Puttanesca
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:13 am

WhirledWorld wrote:As a white dude, I am blown away to have three SA interviews lined up and one already scheduled with the firm president and vice president. Crazy.

Applying to your home market definitely works.

And I thought I was wasting my time trying to find a 1L SA...


Congrats! Primary or secondary market?

WhirledWorld
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:04 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby WhirledWorld » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:38 am

Puttanesca wrote:
WhirledWorld wrote:As a white dude, I am blown away to have three SA interviews lined up and one already scheduled with the firm president and vice president. Crazy.

Applying to your home market definitely works.

And I thought I was wasting my time trying to find a 1L SA...


Congrats! Primary or secondary market?


Thanks! It's secondary. Well, one of the three is in DC. The other two are in a secondary market (I think. I don't quite know the bright line distinction, but FWIW they don't quite pay market. Still a lot of money to make in a summer.)

NinerFan wrote:Advice: Make sure you're ready to lie and swear undying loyalty and faith to your hometown during those interviews.

And if that's not your target market, get ready to explain during 2L why you actually want to work in X market instead of hometown. Not that I'm trying to dissuade you, because it can be done. It's just something to keep in mind.


Thanks for the advice. Yeah, my resume is kind of all over. Home in one geographic location, college in another, law school in another region.

I do honestly want to wind up back in that secondary market, if only because lawyers there get out of the office at 6 and aren't supposed to come in on weekends. That said, if going back home were to come up during OCI, I would just mention that the SA was a great opportunity for that time, but I'm not looking to limit myself to a secondary market professionally.

Puttanesca
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:49 pm

For those of you who have ties only to difficult markets, what are you doing? I have connections to two crappy markets: one of which is a primary but just hasn't hired many SA's historically; the other is a secondary with zero biglaw firms, not even satellite offices. In addition to firms, I am planning to apply to a bunch of judges in these two areas and probably a smattering of government and public service organizations.

Should I be trying markets where I have no ties? The legal economies in the markets where I do have ties just aren't doing so great.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ran12 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Puttanesca wrote:For those of you who have ties only to difficult markets, what are you doing? I have connections to two crappy markets: one of which is a primary but just hasn't hired many SA's historically; the other is a secondary with zero biglaw firms, not even satellite offices. In addition to firms, I am planning to apply to a bunch of judges in these two areas and probably a smattering of government and public service organizations.

Should I be trying markets where I have no ties? The legal economies in the markets where I do have ties just aren't doing so great.


Might as well. Most likely you'll get a rejection but you have no where to go but up so you never know what could happen.

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby pjo » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:40 pm

shoeshine wrote:
Cubyfan21 wrote:How excited should I be if a firm requests my undergraduate transcript?

I was just thinking this exact same thing. I hope it means we are in the running for interviews. Good luck!



Shoeshine, what is your school range? what geographic region for the firms?

iheartlaw
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby iheartlaw » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:08 pm

Yes! 1L Summer Offer from S&C NY! :D

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby adonai » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes! 1L Summer Offer from S&C NY! :D

Wow, out yourself. Congrats!

User avatar
BEAST_mode
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:00 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby BEAST_mode » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes! 1L Summer Offer from S&C NY! :D


Connections?

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ran12 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:41 pm

BEAST_mode wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes! 1L Summer Offer from S&C NY! :D


Connections?


Def gotta be connections considering how early the offer was made.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273442
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:55 pm

Anyone else not hear anything at all yet? I haven't gotten any response at all, rejections or otherwise. My market is pretty competitive, so I am sure they are swamped with inquiries, but I would think that after a week I would have heard something from someone. I have no real legal ties, but strong ties to the region itself.

Also, all of my submissions were either via an online system or email, if anyone thinks that has any bearing on the reason for the wait. Im afraid that maybe my things got lost at the bottom of someone's inbox.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Sending out 5 more judicial apps today! I don't want to send out too many to the state CoA - would it look weird if I just applied to every single member? It's not like they talk about their applicants, right?

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby adonai » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:15 pm

ilovesf wrote:Sending out 5 more judicial apps today! I don't want to send out too many to the state CoA - would it look weird if I just applied to every single member? It's not like they talk about their applicants, right?

I heard they do gossip a lot more than you'd think. But I'm sure it would be understandable to apply to all the judges in a certain courthouse. There probably wouldn't be a chance they'd talk about you unless you stood out greatly and there was overlap in judges wanting you, and that wouldn't happen until they made their decision to hire you. All in all, shouldn't worry about it cause applying everywhere is the norm for students and they should know this.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby beachbum » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:35 pm

Well, the one app I sent out (district judge/prior connection) turned out to be worth the break from studying. Got the interview. (If I get offered the job, I'm just gonna accept on the spot and not worry about 1L SAs/in-house internships/other job-hunting. Money is nice, but peace of mind is better).

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby piccolittle » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes! 1L Summer Offer from S&C NY! :D


Wow, now I'm even more nervous. Even the places I have connections haven't even acknowledged my app. Pretty sure I'm ending up median at best too so I really need all the help I can get...

Puttanesca
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Puttanesca » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Anyone hear from a firm or judge in California - LA/SF/OC?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.