The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
orderofthings

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby orderofthings » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:05 pm

theavrock wrote:I got some rejections from judges today and a few from firms. Also got a few apply to our websites and requests for undergrad transcripts.

I actually got a mailed rejection letter from a firm to my email. Interesting haha.

I got a mailed rejection too today from a firm. I mean it was a nice letter and all...but an email would have certainly sufficed.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:15 pm

Does anyone else think it's weird that people want UG transcripts? I mean I'm 2.5 years out of school.. a lot has changed since then. That kind of sucks for those of us who didn't do that well in UG and got into school because of a good LSAT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:24 pm

Wait, am I way off base for not applying to 100 + places? I applied to 30 judges, 10 gov't places, and 2 firms and have already had 1 phone interview and scheduled 3 interviews with judges.

/ subtle brag (but I also really want to know because maybe they interview a shit ton of people)

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:33 pm

I mean, I think it depends on the school and what you're hoping for. Most 2Ls I've talked to told me they applied to between 10 and 50 places.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:34 pm

Received a few open house invites over Christmas break from firms in Bham. I doubt this is anything serious. Any thoughts?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:56 pm

Wow, you guys. Nice job! Still nothing for me :( Sent out a bunch more apps over the weekend so you'd think I would maybe get like an acknowledgement email. Checking my spam folder glumly while flipping through my outline :/

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:58 pm

Scored an interview with a judge over the break. Sooooo happy especially since I'm second guessing the hell out of my exams and that's making me nervous.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:00 pm

ilovesf wrote:Does anyone else think it's weird that people want UG transcripts? I mean I'm 2.5 years out of school.. a lot has changed since then. That kind of sucks for those of us who didn't do that well in UG and got into school because of a good LSAT.

One judge asked me for undergrad transcripts as well (and my UG grades were pretty awful during the first 2 years). I brought them, and immediately brought attention to the crappy section of my transcript. I did this to avoid them sitting, looking at it, and forming negative opinions and assumptions. I told the story behind it by spinning it in a positive light, and getting out of the way quickly. And once that relatively awkward moment passed, it was smooth sailing and went very well. Got hired on the spot.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Are you guys using the same or similar cover letters for judges as for firms? Can't be bothered to rework mine...

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:13 pm

piccolittle wrote:Are you guys using the same or similar cover letters for judges as for firms? Can't be bothered to rework mine...

I altered them marginally. A group of firms to which I applied are known for being leaders in my field of interest/experience. For these, I noted that this was applying and explained my relevant experience. For judges, I only changed it up based on whether it was trial or appellate work. The letters for firms and courts in my home market were altered accordingly.

Basically, my intro, conclusion, and 75% of my meat paragraphs were exactly the same everywhere that I applied.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:20 pm

piccolittle wrote:Are you guys using the same or similar cover letters for judges as for firms? Can't be bothered to rework mine...

I highlighted different things for judges and firms. For judges I tried to make myself interesting but didn't try to pretend like my experience actually qualifies me for the position. I was a bit more aggressive for firms since they don't take many 1Ls.

I bet if you did firms first and then used the same for judges it would be fine but maybe less the other way around since it is probably a harder sell to a firm than a judge who just has to tolerate you helping his clerks and stomach the occasional sound of your voice.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:55 pm

A couple of grade requests and a couple of don't take interns/externs here.

Was hoping for something that would provide a confidence boost going into finals.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:58 pm

Instead of studying for torts I'm trying to figure out if firms would have gotten my shit by now (mailed it last Thurs so I think yes). Haven't heard anything, but am not too optimistic.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:54 pm

Mine are totally different. I discussed my previous work experience and skills fairly in-depth in my firm cover letters. My cover letters to judges are much shorter, and I left out the previous work stuff (this was at the suggestion of my CSO).

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:31 am

Mine are different too, but I have a business background.

For firms I tried to play this up as much as possible and for judges I just spun the experience differently.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:40 am

Paper Letter Denial from a firm. Classy.

69Coronet

Postby 69Coronet » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
69Coronet wrote:1 judge rejection so far.
Back to studying I go...

Boudin?

Perhaps?
You're going to hide behind Anon and then ask me this?
The judge in question (and the other couple of judges who have rejected me) told me that they didn't take/didn't have room for 1L interns.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:44 am

Just got a call from a Chambers back home 8)

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:11 pm

I'm going to send out more judicial apps tomorrow after my exam :| and start with the public interest. And to add to the CL discussion earlier, I'm not applying to firms, but my experience has mostly been research related stuff in non-profits. For judicial externships I focus on the research part, for public interest things I spin it in a more 'I love public interest' light.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:16 pm

Well now I'm in a dilemma... I'm scared to even interact with Judges since the offer can come at any point and you have to accept... but I reallllly think I'd like to work in government over the summer since I don't really have any interest in litigation, and that would probably be more interesting for me... But I think Government hiring probably doesn't even start until Jan....

ETA: Have my first interview lined up!!!! With a Fed. Magistrate Judge.
So is the consensus that Fed Magistrate = Fed District for OCI purposes?

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:14 pm

NYC Law wrote:Well now I'm in a dilemma... I'm scared to even interact with Judges since the offer can come at any point and you have to accept... but I reallllly think I'd like to work in government over the summer since I don't really have any interest in litigation, and that would probably be more interesting for me... But I think Government hiring probably doesn't even start until Jan....

Yeah, that is my understanding. Also, congrats! Just nabbed a Magistrate interview back home myself!

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:53 pm

NYC Law wrote:Well now I'm in a dilemma... I'm scared to even interact with Judges since the offer can come at any point and you have to accept... but I reallllly think I'd like to work in government over the summer since I don't really have any interest in litigation, and that would probably be more interesting for me... But I think Government hiring probably doesn't even start until Jan....

Congrats on getting the interview.

Wait...we have to accept? My CSO told us that we didn't have to accept, but that once we did accept, we could not renege.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Everyone will tell you the whole spiel about how it doesn't matter what you do for summer, so in that sense they are the same. But if you want to be nitpicky, district judge is more prestigious, if only slightly.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 pm

What do your cover pages look like on your writing sample? Is something like this appropriate?

[Name]
[Address]
[Email]
[Phone Number]

Writing Sample
I am attaching a copy of a predictive memo on [topic] I prepared in conjunction with [school] College of Law's Legal Analysis and Writing course. This memo was prepared in the fall of 2011 and contains minimal revisions.

Thoughts?

Also, the email requesting my writing sample says I can email it or send a hard copy. It's a judge, so I sent my cover letter and resume via regular mail. Which do you think is preferred for the writing sample? If it makes a difference, my letter/resume arrived in one day.
If e-mail is okay, should I send it as a Word file or PDF? I used styles, so the formatting should remain if I send it as a Word.

Thanks!

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:57 pm

Lwoods wrote:What do your cover pages look like on your writing sample? Is something like this appropriate?

[Name]
[Address]
[Email]
[Phone Number]

Writing Sample
I am attaching a copy of a predictive memo on [topic] I prepared in conjunction with [school] College of Law's Legal Analysis and Writing course. This memo was prepared in the fall of 2011 and contains minimal revisions.

Thoughts?

Also, the email requesting my writing sample says I can email it or send a hard copy. It's a judge, so I sent my cover letter and resume via regular mail. Which do you think is preferred for the writing sample? If it makes a difference, my letter/resume arrived in one day.
If e-mail is okay, should I send it as a Word file or PDF? I used styles, so the formatting should remain if I send it as a Word.

Thanks!

In your description of the writing sample, write a one or two sentence summary on what the writing sample is about and what you argued.

Send in pdf form. Sending hardcopy in regular mail is fine too. Email only saves you time and money, although some judges may prefer it, I don't think they'll hold it against you.

Return to “Legal Employment”