The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
adonai

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby adonai » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:13 pm

thegrayman wrote:what is the proper format for sending an email expressing continued interest in a job?

I interviewed with a place and haven't heard back, I want to follow up to make sure I am still in the running.

Is there an accepted format for this kind of email?

thanks!

I would ask them for an update on the process and when they reply that is when you say something like well I would like to reiterate my interest in the position and look forward to your decision, etc. That is what I did.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:28 am

adonai wrote:
thegrayman wrote:what is the proper format for sending an email expressing continued interest in a job?

I interviewed with a place and haven't heard back, I want to follow up to make sure I am still in the running.

Is there an accepted format for this kind of email?

thanks!

I would ask them for an update on the process and when they reply that is when you say something like well I would like to reiterate my interest in the position and look forward to your decision, etc. That is what I did.

Still chugging along applying to jobs in the market closest to my school (Boston), but I have an offer to return to the small to mid-sized firm where I was for a year before law school in my home market (NY). Ideally, I'd like to open myself to both NY and Boston for 2L OCI, but at this point feel like I should just head back to the firm. I do not want to end up there after graduation and am concerned about what bigger firms in Boston will think about my returning to the same place for another term of employment, moreover potentially in the market I don't want to end up in. Morever, I'm concerned about having the same/similar line on my resume. Thoughts?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Still chugging along applying to jobs in the market closest to my school (Boston), but I have an offer to return to the small to mid-sized firm where I was for a year before law school in my home market (NY). Ideally, I'd like to open myself to both NY and Boston for 2L OCI, but at this point feel like I should just head back to the firm. I do not want to end up there after graduation and am concerned about what bigger firms in Boston will think about my returning to the same place for another term of employment, moreover potentially in the market I don't want to end up in. Morever, I'm concerned about having the same/similar line on my resume. Thoughts?

I don't think it looks bad. Before law school, I worked at a firm, left and then went back. At my interview, my judge saw that and said, "they must have liked you there." Basically, you can use it to demonstrate that you're a good worker.

Now, to be fair, I've decided to go the judge route for 1L summer because I saw it as the biggest value-add to my resume, but that theory is untested for me.

I can't help with the market question, but I can't imagine you'd have too much trouble in Boston going to law school there. If it comes up, you could always say you wanted to save on rent 1L summer (unless that's in no way true).

Congrats on the offer from your former firm!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:26 am

so i have a gig lined up for the first half of summer, but nada for the second so far. what happens if i don't find one for the second part? am i screwed? :/

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:so i have a gig lined up for the first half of summer, but nada for the second so far. what happens if i don't find one for the second part? am i screwed? :/

try to RA or hustle to find a second jerb.

or make money

or do nothing

bio822

Postby bio822 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:35 am

Guchster wrote:

or make money

or do nothing

wouldn't it look bad if 2L employers saw i only did something for half the summer? definitely trying hustle for that second jerb.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:39 am

bio822 wrote:
Guchster wrote:

or make money

or do nothing

wouldn't it look bad if 2L employers saw i only did something for half the summer? definitely trying hustle for that second jerb.

It would look bad, but there's ways around that. For instance, my resume says "Summer 2011" also "June-July" doesn't look too bad. Maybe if you have to fill out an application where you list start/end dates it might be bad, but most of the time people roll off your resume.

orderofthings

Postby orderofthings » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:26 pm

I emailed all the firms that haven't got back to me yet today. I got a few responses that said they were still considering my app and would be in touch within 2-3 weeks. I don't think I've ever been more excited for such a hopeless possibility.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:42 pm

orderofthings wrote:I emailed all the firms that haven't got back to me yet today. I got a few responses that said they were still considering my app and would be in touch within 2-3 weeks. I don't think I've ever been more excited for such a hopeless possibility.

good luck! good news is better than bad news. :)

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:06 pm

orderofthings wrote:I emailed all the firms that haven't got back to me yet today. I got a few responses that said they were still considering my app and would be in touch within 2-3 weeks. I don't think I've ever been more excited for such a hopeless possibility.

They're probably waiting to hear back from other people.

orderofthings

Postby orderofthings » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:02 am

acrossthelake wrote:

They're probably waiting to hear back from other people.

Makin meh sad :cry:

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:22 am

there's hope, yet!

i just got an e-mail from one firm i would love to work for informing me they just started looking at my application.

i also applied to jonesday a few weeks ago, though i haven't gotten a reply at all. i wouldn't expect a reply, either, except my buddy applied on practically the same day i did and already got a ding in the form of an e-mail weeks ago...i'm annoyed i'm apparently not even worth an e-mail rejection.
Last edited by Lasers on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:22 am

Lasers wrote:

there's hope, yet!

i just got an e-mail from one firm i would love to work for informing me they just started looking at my application.

i also applied to jonesday a few weeks ago, though i haven't gotten a reply at all. i wouldn't expect a reply, either, except my buddy applied on practically the same day i did and already got a ding in the form of an e-mail weeks ago...i'm annoyed i'm apparently not even worth an e-mail rejection. :(

ohhh good luck!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:56 pm

I have an offer from a legal aid type place which is my 7th choice of places I want to work at over the summer. I have to respond to the offer by next week and don't have any other offers at the moment but have an interview with my 4th choice (state AG) next week (after I have to respond to the offer). If I cannot get an extension on the offer, what should I do? Accept and be happy I have something or turn it down and try to get something better?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:09 pm

top 1/3 at a T30 and landed a federal judge externship in a primary market. could not be happier, have faith everyone!

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:12 pm

So... at what point do I start freaking out about not having something set up for summer?

Postby 071816 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:14 pm

stewie27 wrote:So... at what point do I start freaking out about not having something set up for summer?

Don't ever freak out. Just keep hustlin.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:14 pm

stewie27 wrote:So... at what point do I start freaking out about not having something set up for summer?

April

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:16 pm

chimp wrote:

Don't ever freak out. Just keep hustlin.

but this.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:16 pm

In a month or so. Lots of places are still hiring; just keep sending out those apps (particularly to any secondary markets to which you have ties) and hope for the best. Good luck.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:28 pm

beachbum wrote:

In a month or so. Lots of places are still hiring; just keep sending out those apps (particularly to any secondary markets to which you have ties) and hope for the best. Good luck.

Many public interest places are still hiring. Also there are a lot of people sitting on open offers at the moment, so there will definitely be movement even for those jobs.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:51 pm

r6_philly wrote:
beachbum wrote:

Many public interest places are still hiring. Also there are a lot of people sitting on open offers at the moment, so there will definitely be movement even for those jobs.

More than public interest is still hiring, too. I dunno if this is the rule or the exception, but I targeted most of my apps to my secondary market hometown, and several of the large firms and the Circuit court in the city expressed interest in setting up interviews in early March/spring break. I imagine primary markets have already finished with most of their hiring, but secondary markets tend to move a little slower.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 pm

beachbum wrote:More than public interest is still hiring, too. I dunno if this is the rule or the exception, but I targeted most of my apps to my secondary market hometown, and several of the large firms and the Circuit court in the city expressed interest in setting up interviews in early March/spring break. I imagine primary markets have already finished with most of their hiring, but secondary markets tend to move a little slower.

Really? That's interesting on firms. Philly firms may not have all offered, but they have definitely gone past accepting apps stage. I went from a whole lot of firms outstanding to maybe a handful this week. I expect all to work out by next Friday.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:
beachbum wrote:More than public interest is still hiring, too. I dunno if this is the rule or the exception, but I targeted most of my apps to my secondary market hometown, and several of the large firms and the Circuit court in the city expressed interest in setting up interviews in early March/spring break. I imagine primary markets have already finished with most of their hiring, but secondary markets tend to move a little slower.

Really? That's interesting on firms. Philly firms may not have all offered, but they have definitely gone past accepting apps stage. I went from a whole lot of firms outstanding to maybe a handful this week. I expect all to work out by next Friday.

Yeah, and I can't comment on whether they're still accepting apps, but they definitely haven't finished interviewing. So I imagine there's still a shot.

jd-mba

Postby jd-mba » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:29 pm

our job board still has listings for small firms with deadlines through march... although i wouldn't be surprised if they interview/decide on offers even before that deadline.

Return to “Legal Employment”