The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:41 pm

Just had a screening interview with my ideal place to work. Thought it went really well, but it was prefaced with "we are only going to hire one 1L, maybe two, so if you don't get it, please be sure to apply again next year!"

Every firm so far has told me that I must be getting tons of offers with my grades. I haven't had ANY. Grades couldn't be any better (4.0, no A+ at my school, have been told I'm the only one in the class), I've gotten lots of compliments on my cover letter, I have a professor who has been telling everyone that I'm the cat's pajamas, and I still can't land a job. I hate this economy.

(Tier one, but 40s range, for those who are curious. Yes, that's probably my problem.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Just got the job I wanted, turned down a state Attorney General interview and a USAO Civil Division interview to take it. It should be pretty awesome, so I'm excited, but a bit nervous to have turned down the possibility of the USAO presTTTige.

Bird in the hand though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
anonymous1495 wrote:Has anyone who has had an interview at Jones Day DC received an offer yet? Feel free to pm me if you don't want to post.

+1

They just did screeners at H today. Duke got grades even later than we did, so I imagine you still have some time to go unless you were a true home-run candidate.

And interviewing DC students on Tuesday (tomorrow).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:30 pm

So I have an offer from an insurance defense firm back home for 1L summer, about 35 attorneys at this office, 5 offices in the US. I can live with my parents and save some money. It was through a connection, so I know they pay their summer clerks $12-$15 an hour. Should I just take this? I know people say that where you work 1L summer doesn't matter at all, but I'm worried about the stigma of insurance defense when OCI rolls around at the end of the summer. Does it matter? Will biglaw firms really care at all?

t-ender

Postby t-ender » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
anonymous1495 wrote:Has anyone who has had an interview at Jones Day DC received an offer yet? Feel free to pm me if you don't want to post.

+1

They just did screeners at H today. Duke got grades even later than we did, so I imagine you still have some time to go unless you were a true home-run candidate.

And interviewing DC students on Tuesday (tomorrow).

Interviewed at UVA last Thursday - no info on callbacks yet

mikunta

Postby mikunta » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:52 pm

Just saw this posting for an internship program with a gov org, sounds interesting enough, but realized the apps were open since Dec 1 (and close on 2/15). Even worth still applying or probably already filled up? I can bang out a cover letter that's decent in like 15 min so I feel like it's not much of a loss if it is...thoughts?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I have an offer from an insurance defense firm back home for 1L summer, about 35 attorneys at this office, 5 offices in the US. I can live with my parents and save some money. It was through a connection, so I know they pay their summer clerks $12-$15 an hour. Should I just take this? I know people say that where you work 1L summer doesn't matter at all, but I'm worried about the stigma of insurance defense when OCI rolls around at the end of the summer. Does it matter? Will biglaw firms really care at all?

A lot of people will be doing stuff like public defender / prosecutor work or legal aid fighting foreclosures because MERS didn't record the mortgage. I don't think a small firm would hurt you chances at biglaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:17 pm

Got a deadline for a PI on the 15th. Should I email the firm(s) that I'm waiting on and let them know? They said to let them know if I hadn't heard anything from them by the fourteenth when i told them about the situation when I interviewed.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:22 pm

mikunta wrote:Just saw this posting for an internship program with a gov org, sounds interesting enough, but realized the apps were open since Dec 1 (and close on 2/15). Even worth still applying or probably already filled up? I can bang out a cover letter that's decent in like 15 min so I feel like it's not much of a loss if it is...thoughts?

You should still apply, what is 15 minutes anyway? A lot of people thought these kinds of positions would be filled up by now, but a lot of them aren't. I know tons of people who are only getting interview requests now from gov jobs.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:29 pm

ilovesf wrote:
mikunta wrote:Just saw this posting for an internship program with a gov org, sounds interesting enough, but realized the apps were open since Dec 1 (and close on 2/15). Even worth still applying or probably already filled up? I can bang out a cover letter that's decent in like 15 min so I feel like it's not much of a loss if it is...thoughts?

You should still apply, what is 15 minutes anyway? A lot of people thought these kinds of positions would be filled up by now, but a lot of them aren't. I know tons of people who are only getting interview requests now from gov jobs.

Yeah, I would just apply. You never know what might happen or where they stand with their hiring, and with such little effort required to apply, I say do it. Worst they can tell you, is what they would've told you minus 15 minutes of quasi effort.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:31 pm

Has anyone heard back from Orrick in DC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:57 am

Anyone heard from Jones Day in SF?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:13 pm

Quick question...meeting with a partner (friend of a friend) to discuss a summer sa position. Meeting is at the firm (in a secondary market) on a day its closed and he'll prob be the only one there. Can I just wear slacks and a sweater over a collared shirt?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quick question...meeting with a partner (friend of a friend) to discuss a summer sa position. Meeting is at the firm (in a secondary market) on a day its closed and he'll prob be the only one there. Can I just wear slacks and a sweater over a collared shirt?

Generally no, when meeting someone that you don't know well you should probably wear a suit. Although if this is an "informal" kind of information meeting and not and interview, then you probably can wear something less formal.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:21 pm

A week ago a woman called asking "are you still interested in job X?" I say yes (because I was still undecided at that point) and she says she'll be in touch. I accepted a job yesterday and today get an email from her "so you are going to be our intern for the summer, please fill out this paperwork." Time for awkward email response telling her I'm working elsewhere.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:25 pm

bk1 wrote:A week ago a woman called asking "are you still interested in job X?" I say yes (because I was still undecided at that point) and she says she'll be in touch. I accepted a job yesterday and today get an email from her "so you are going to be our intern for the summer, please fill out this paperwork." Time for awkward email response telling her I'm working elsewhere.

ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

sorry to hear about the awkward spot. i personally don't think this is your fault at all. Bitch assumed you'd take the offer!!! lolz. She should've made you a firm offer when she called "asking" if you were "interested" before she employed you, lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:12 pm

rejected from Jones Day Chicago :) too bad, long shot anyways. they're probably only going to take some #1 ranked HYS student.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:23 pm

So, I basically got my dream job today, but I have kind of a dillema! It's a public interest organization and they had four open positions, one of which is funded by an awesome fellowship. I interviewed on Friday afternoon and the director called me and offered me a job this morning. He also mentioned that I was the first person he was calling and he was super impressed by my qualifications. So, all of that not-so-humble brag is to say that I get the impression that they really liked me a lot. However, he didn't mention (and I was too excited, so forgot to ask about) the *funded* position. I Would just assume that because he didn't mention anything about money, I didn't get funding; but the fact that he seemed so enthusiastic about me makes me think that maybe I still have a shot? He said he was going out of town for a week tomorrow so it might take a little while for my offer letter to get to me. So, should I just assume that I didn't get funding? Email him to make sure? Wait for my offer letter to get here, which I guess would settle it once and for all? He also didn't tell me how long I have to decide. And while this is absolutely my first choice, there's another place that I'm considering in NYC and I think I might want to give it a shot, just to broaden my options. Sooo, how do I go about clarifying this stuff?

Anyway, tl;dr: Yay, job! But wait, $$?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:34 pm

Anyone know anything about state intermediate appellate court internships? I already have a job offer that I'd be glad to take and an interview with a state supreme court judge coming up but got a call to set up an interview with the intermediate appellate judge. Any one have any experience at this level? I have a lot of applications out so I'm thinking maybe I should wait to see what I can swing rather than take the judge up if offered (since I obviously wouldn't reneg).

I'm above median at a t10.

Postby 071816 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:59 pm

bk1 wrote:A week ago a woman called asking "are you still interested in job X?" I say yes (because I was still undecided at that point) and she says she'll be in touch. I accepted a job yesterday and today get an email from her "so you are going to be our intern for the summer, please fill out this paperwork." Time for awkward email response telling her I'm working elsewhere.

Something similar happened to me. I just sent the recruiter a polite email telling her I was planning on working elsewhere. Kinda awkward but no biggie.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:11 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:So, I basically got my dream job today, but I have kind of a dillema! It's a public interest organization and they had four open positions, one of which is funded by an awesome fellowship. I interviewed on Friday afternoon and the director called me and offered me a job this morning. He also mentioned that I was the first person he was calling and he was super impressed by my qualifications. So, all of that not-so-humble brag is to say that I get the impression that they really liked me a lot. However, he didn't mention (and I was too excited, so forgot to ask about) the *funded* position. I Would just assume that because he didn't mention anything about money, I didn't get funding; but the fact that he seemed so enthusiastic about me makes me think that maybe I still have a shot? He said he was going out of town for a week tomorrow so it might take a little while for my offer letter to get to me. So, should I just assume that I didn't get funding? Email him to make sure? Wait for my offer letter to get here, which I guess would settle it once and for all? He also didn't tell me how long I have to decide. And while this is absolutely my first choice, there's another place that I'm considering in NYC and I think I might want to give it a shot, just to broaden my options. Sooo, how do I go about clarifying this stuff?

Wowza, CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST CHOICE JOB! This is a super awkward position for you to be in--especially cuz he called you first and then flattered you. I don't think sending an email asking about the monies is completely out of line, especially if you dont' want to wait to get an offer letter until after he comes back. You could ease the awkwardness by stating that the purpose of your email is to find out how long you have to accept/decline the offer (and then subtly ask about the fellowship therein)

I would proceed and apply to the second place to broaden your options, with your next steps depending on whether you have a reasonable time to accept the offer. Until you're notified of the time, send off an app (if it's not too much trouble/stress). You can always withdraw it later if the first offer isn't such that you have time to apply/interview at a second place.

If you get offered an interview at the 2nd place, I'd be completely forthcoming and let them know you have an exploding offer that will occur in ___fill in the blank___ date and you need an answer by then. If you feel that the 2nd place could not do this, or that your first option may not give you time, it wouldn't be the world's worst decision to work at your first choice summer employment.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:42 am

chimp wrote:

Something similar happened to me. I just sent the recruiter a polite email telling her I was planning on working elsewhere. Kinda awkward but no biggie.

Yeah that's what I did.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:44 am

whirledpeas86 wrote:So, I basically got my dream job today, but I have kind of a dillema! It's a public interest organization and they had four open positions, one of which is funded by an awesome fellowship. I interviewed on Friday afternoon and the director called me and offered me a job this morning. He also mentioned that I was the first person he was calling and he was super impressed by my qualifications. So, all of that not-so-humble brag is to say that I get the impression that they really liked me a lot. However, he didn't mention (and I was too excited, so forgot to ask about) the *funded* position. I Would just assume that because he didn't mention anything about money, I didn't get funding; but the fact that he seemed so enthusiastic about me makes me think that maybe I still have a shot? He said he was going out of town for a week tomorrow so it might take a little while for my offer letter to get to me. So, should I just assume that I didn't get funding? Email him to make sure? Wait for my offer letter to get here, which I guess would settle it once and for all? He also didn't tell me how long I have to decide. And while this is absolutely my first choice, there's another place that I'm considering in NYC and I think I might want to give it a shot, just to broaden my options. Sooo, how do I go about clarifying this stuff?

I would definitely email. Pretty much every place I've talked to has told me to ask them if I had any questions so I think you're safe in just asking him.

target

Postby target » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:38 pm

Just accepted a judicial externship offer, thank those who helped answering my questions in this thread. And boy, it's good to get this thing out of the way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:51 pm

sent my cover letter/resume to a firm, via email got an offer to have lunch with 2 attorneys from that office over spring break. Is this a typical way for firms to vet potential 1L SA's? also anyone have any insight into these type of meetings?

Return to “Legal Employment”