The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:51 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Anyone hear anything from Texas firms yet? I figured it would take a few days to get a response, but it seems as though others have already heard back in some form or another.


I will get back to you in 2 days. I am expecting an offer letter =D

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Anyone hear anything from Texas firms yet? I figured it would take a few days to get a response, but it seems as though others have already heard back in some form or another.


I will get back to you in 2 days. I am expecting an offer letter =D


As in you'll be applying in 2 days and will be expecting an offer letter sometime after that, or you applied today and will be getting an offer in 2 days? If the latter, have they responded to your application in some way? are you a 1L?

headandshoulderos
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby headandshoulderos » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:04 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Anyone hear anything from Texas firms yet? I figured it would take a few days to get a response, but it seems as though others have already heard back in some form or another.


I will get back to you in 2 days. I am expecting an offer letter =D


As in you'll be applying in 2 days and will be expecting an offer letter sometime after that, or you applied today and will be getting an offer in 2 days? If the latter, have they responded to your application in some way? are you a 1L?


he's saying he got an offer today and the letter is in the mail.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:06 pm

headandshoulderos wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Anyone hear anything from Texas firms yet? I figured it would take a few days to get a response, but it seems as though others have already heard back in some form or another.


I will get back to you in 2 days. I am expecting an offer letter =D


As in you'll be applying in 2 days and will be expecting an offer letter sometime after that, or you applied today and will be getting an offer in 2 days? If the latter, have they responded to your application in some way? are you a 1L?


he's saying he got an offer today and the letter is in the mail.


Dang that's nuts. I didn't realize they gave out firm offers on day one. Anonymous, do you go to UT?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:10 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Dang that's nuts. I didn't realize they gave out firm offers on day one. Anonymous, do you go to UT?


I attend a T14.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Dang that's nuts. I didn't realize they gave out firm offers on day one. Anonymous, do you go to UT?


I attend a T14.


Last question, was your app today the first contact you've had with the firm?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:18 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Dang that's nuts. I didn't realize they gave out firm offers on day one. Anonymous, do you go to UT?


I attend a T14.


Last question, was your app today the first contact you've had with the firm?


Hell, no. Met up with the IP firm during a networking event two months ago. We merely agreed on a Dec. 1st date to settle things.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Dang that's nuts. I didn't realize they gave out firm offers on day one. Anonymous, do you go to UT?


I attend a T14.


Last question, was your app today the first contact you've had with the firm?


Hell, no. Met up with the IP firm during a networking event two months ago. We merely agreed on a Dec. 1st date to settle things.


wow I didn't realize you could do that. Our CSO was clear about not contacting firms until Dec. 1. well, congrats.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:27 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
wow I didn't realize you could do that. Our CSO was clear about not contacting firms until Dec. 1. well, congrats.


It's not like that. They came on campus to do a presentation about IP law for the generally interested student body. After the presentation, I stayed around and chatted with the guys who came over with follow up questions. Then we agreed to wait till Dec. 1st to wrap things up.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
wow I didn't realize you could do that. Our CSO was clear about not contacting firms until Dec. 1. well, congrats.


It's not like that. They came on campus to do a presentation about IP law for the generally interested student body. After the presentation, I stayed around and chatted with the guys who came over with follow up questions. Then we agreed to wait till Dec. 1st to wrap things up.


Oh ok, gotcha. Well congrats on being able to head into finals with a job. That must be a pretty amazing feeling.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby shoeshine » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Anyone hear anything from Texas firms yet? I figured it would take a few days to get a response, but it seems as though others have already heard back in some form or another.


I will get back to you in 2 days. I am expecting an offer letter =D


Did you just come into this thread to brag? You are not going through the same process as the rest of us so it seems like bragging.

Congrats though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Just a reminder to you guys to not get discouraged if the firm mass-mailings don't come through. When I was a 1L, I sent well over 200 firm mailings, and didn't even get a single interview, let alone an offer. Many firms just don't hire 1L's, and those that do typically take 1 or 2. Thus, 1L SA positions is not the typical route most students will take. That doesn't mean there aren't a bunch of great positions you can get for 1L summer. I got an initial wave of rejections from pretty much all jobs (firms & judges) soon after applying. It wasn't until around January, when I updated with my grades, that a stream of interviews started coming in from the judges (nothing came from firms despite top 5% grades at a T20). So bottom line is be patient, stay confident, and don't let anything distract you from finals.

Peg
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Peg » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:15 pm

Got an interview with a public interest organization in DC. I know that's not exactly considered a big deal in TLS-land, but it feels nice to me anyway.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby NYC Law » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:20 pm

Peg wrote:Got an interview with a public interest organization in DC. I know that's not exactly considered a big deal in TLS-land, but it feels nice to me anyway.


Congrats! That's awesome, nail it

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby piccolittle » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Man, you guys are making me nervous. I only sent out a few apps today, and the only people I have heard from were the partners I already knew, wishing me good luck. Crickets from recruiters.

69Coronet
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:35 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby 69Coronet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:57 pm

I sent out so few apps that I decided not to hit up the network of partners I have made connections with... I sent out my apps to a few firms and if they want me they'll say so... since I already got rejected by a couple, I can reasonably say that that is a no, but we'll see.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:02 pm

69Coronet wrote:I sent out so few apps that I decided not to hit up the network of partners I have made connections with... I sent out my apps to a few firms and if they want me they'll say so... since I already got rejected by a couple, I can reasonably say that that is a no, but we'll see.


What kind of firms are people getting rejected from? Big-law? primary markets? I emailed about 20 apps this morning and haven't heard a word. I figured they were so swamped with apps that they wouldn't read them, let alone email out rejections, for at least a few days.

69Coronet
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:35 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby 69Coronet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:06 pm

By rejected I just mean they told me their classes were full.
And they were biglaw.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:16 pm

Interview email for US AO. How selective are they? Anyone know how many people they interview relative to how many applicants actually selected?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:20 pm

minuit wrote:got an offer on the spot with a federal district judge today... FLIPPING OUT :mrgreen:

That is so awesome, congrats!! I can't even send my application to the federal district here until february 1st.. it sucks.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:23 pm

Peg wrote:Got an interview with a public interest organization in DC. I know that's not exactly considered a big deal in TLS-land, but it feels nice to me anyway.

Congrats! I'm also interested in public interest, and any offer is a big deal, that's great :)

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby adonai » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interview email for US AO. How selective are they? Anyone know how many people they interview relative to how many applicants actually selected?

Depends on your district, but mostly very competitive and probably one of the most prestigious things you can do for 1L.

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby adonai » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:25 pm

69Coronet wrote:By rejected I just mean they told me their classes were full.
And they were biglaw.

How are their classes full on the first day? Looks like they found who they wanted rather quickly without going through interviews/CBs.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:26 pm

I'm really surprised people are hearing back so quickly, even if it is a rejection

Anonymous User
Posts: 273547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:27 pm

adonai wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interview email for US AO. How selective are they? Anyone know how many people they interview relative to how many applicants actually selected?

Depends on your district, but mostly very competitive and probably one of the most prestigious things you can do for 1L.



The email suggests that I schedule a time to interview before Christmas. Also, it implied I should interview even during finals. Moreover, they want me to bring a transcript from college. Should I interview ASAP despite finals? The office is 3 hours away. And, do they select one 1L's before grades?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.