The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:40 pm

I have a meeting with my CSO this week to go over my resume and such. If I haven't applied anywhere yet, how fucked am I honestly? I have a strong interest in PI, non-governmental work. Is there any chance?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a meeting with my CSO this week to go over my resume and such. If I haven't applied anywhere yet, how fucked am I honestly? I have a strong interest in PI, non-governmental work. Is there any chance?

It's not late for PI/non-profit work. I met a couple of orgs this week who haven't sent out their internship ads yet. But it is getting late, so I'd apply soon and broadly.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:T14 with terrible first semester grades but great W/E. Choosing between offers: DOJ-Crim or USAO in a flyover state where I have ties and wouldn't mind living post-LS?

If your ties are weak and you are thinking of trying to work in the flyover state I'd probably choose the USAO to reinforce your interest in that market. Otherwise I'd pick whichever you would enjoy more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:05 am

Got my first firm rejection letter. Not really surprised as I had kind of expected it considering how competitive the 1L firm job market is. But would it be rude to ask the interviewer for some feedbacks on the interview? I wasn't sure if it's commonly done.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got my first firm rejection letter. Not really surprised as I had kind of expected it considering how competitive the 1L firm job market is. But would it be rude to ask the interviewer for some feedbacks on the interview? I wasn't sure if it's commonly done.

Did you do a screener before your rejection? There is no point in asking for feedback from a firm that didn't even interview you. If you made it to the screener or call back round(s) then you can ask for something. Although, I wouldn't be entirely surprised to get something generic that doesn't help at all.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:15 pm

r6_philly wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
bk1 wrote:A lot of government agencies (state and fed) take legal interns. There are also city attorney's offices, district attorney's offices, public defender's offices (quasi-public), etc. Check with your CSO, they should be able to help you find stuff to apply to in addition to your own search.

When did a Public Defender's Office become "quasi-public"? Unless the work is contracted out to a private firm (very rare) it's as public interest as you can get.

Quasi-public just means a publicly funded organization that is not on the general operating budget.

A Public Defender's Office is traditionally in the operating budget. A municipality grants the Office a set amount of money and then the organization determines how to spend it. PD's offices are required to publish their yearly reports -- traditionally found in the municipalities overall budget.

Saying a PD's office is "quasi-public" just doesn't make sense.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:39 pm

kapital98 wrote:Saying a PD's office is "quasi-public" just doesn't make sense.

Someone tell that to the drafters of the Illinois Legal Ethics code.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:58 pm

Quick, highly technical question: at the end of an interview when the interviewer gives you their business card, what do you do with it? I've been keeping it in my hand until I'm out of sight, but am I supposed to put it someplace important looking, like in a nice leather portfolio?

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quick, highly technical question: at the end of an interview when the interviewer gives you their business card, what do you do with it? I've been keeping it in my hand until I'm out of sight, but am I supposed to put it someplace important looking, like in a nice leather portfolio?

You don't bring a padfolio to interviews? I always put the card in there. Or just put it in your inside jacket pocket. It's not a fucking gold doubloon for you to stare at.

Edit: I know it's still poor form to complain about this, but why the fuck did this need to be anonymous? Jesus.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:28 pm

kapital98 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Quasi-public just means a publicly funded organization that is not on the general operating budget.

A Public Defender's Office is traditionally in the operating budget. A municipality grants the Office a set amount of money and then the organization determines how to spend it. PD's offices are required to publish their yearly reports -- traditionally found in the municipalities overall budget.

Saying a PD's office is "quasi-public" just doesn't make sense.

That's the meaning of quasi-public. Meaning the institution/org is fully or partly owned and supported by the government but has its own operating budget. However the granting government doesn't have to approve the budget, they are usually governed within, sometimes with a board appointed by the granting government. Contrast that with a fully public agency whose operating budget must be approved by the granting government as a part of the general operating budget.

I think the biggest distinction is the legal entity. A admin agency is not a separate legal entity, but a quasi-public one is usually a corporation or partnership wholly or partly owned by the granting government. The granting of funds shows up in the general budget as a line item, but it counts as a payment to an external tax entity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasi-public

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:02 am

Haymarket wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Quick, highly technical question: at the end of an interview when the interviewer gives you their business card, what do you do with it? I've been keeping it in my hand until I'm out of sight, but am I supposed to put it someplace important looking, like in a nice leather portfolio?

You don't bring a padfolio to interviews? I always put the card in there. Or just put it in your inside jacket pocket. It's not a fucking gold doubloon for you to stare at.

Edit: I know it's still poor form to complain about this, but why the fuck did this need to be anonymous? Jesus.

+1 on all counts.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:11 am

Haymarket wrote:

tbf I generally don't bring a padfolio to interviews, since I've never been in a situation in an interview (in law school or otherwise) where I needed one in an interview. I never write anything down in it and they've always got a copy of my stuff via email already. I'm sure during OCI it might be different and you might always need to have a spare transcript/writing sample/resume, but I really like to go in empty-handed.

But yeah, inside jacket pocket is the credited response if you don't have a padfolio. Definitely not in the pants pocket.

Postby 071816 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:14 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Haymarket wrote:

tbf I generally don't bring a padfolio to interviews, since I've never been in a situation in an interview (in law school or otherwise) where I needed one in an interview. I never write anything down in it and they've always got a copy of my stuff via email already. I'm sure during OCI it might be different and you might always need to have a spare transcript/writing sample/resume, but I really like to go in empty-handed.

But yeah, inside jacket pocket is the credited response if you don't have a padfolio. Definitely not in the pants pocket.

Yea. If they see you slip their business card into your pants pocket, you're an auto ding. It's a total deal breaker.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:16 am

chimp wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Haymarket wrote:

Yea. If they see you slip their business card into your pants pocket, you're an auto ding. It's a total deal breaker.

I recommend you pull out your wallet to hold their business card and then accidentally drop an entire string of empty extra-large condom wrappers on the table. ALPHA as FUCK.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:17 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
chimp wrote:Yea. If they see you slip their business card into your pants pocket, you're an auto ding. It's a total deal breaker.

I recommend you pull out your wallet to hold their business card and then accidentally drop an entire string of empty extra-large condom wrappers on the table. ALPHA as FUCK.

don't forget the wad of hundies.

Wart

Postby Wart » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:34 am

Assuming that 1L SA is off the table off the table outside of T14, what is generally considered the next best summer position if you want big law?

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:33 am

bk1 wrote:
kapital98 wrote:Saying a PD's office is "quasi-public" just doesn't make sense.

Someone tell that to the drafters of the Illinois Legal Ethics code.

There is no definition of "quasi-public" in this code. Only the mentioning of a Public Defender's Office being quasi-public.

r6_philly wrote:I think the biggest distinction is the legal entity. A admin agency is not a separate legal entity, but a quasi-public one is usually a corporation or partnership wholly or partly owned by the granting government. The granting of funds shows up in the general budget as a line item, but it counts as a payment to an external tax entity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasi-public

This is very helpful. Thank You.

I've never come across this definition of "quasi-public" in any book on public finance or municipal privatization (I just double checked Rosen & Gayer's Public Finance to be certain.) Also, the wikipedia article only cites accounting and law sources. It doesn't cite a single economic source.

The term is legally correct but it's very poor choice of language (at least for an economist.)

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:52 am

Wart wrote:Assuming that 1L SA is off the table off the table outside of T14, what is generally considered the next best summer position if you want big law?

Anything that gives you
1) A chance to write a really good writing sample
2) Stuff to talk about during your interview

In terms of presTTTige, stuff like the DOJ is nice, but really, just anything where you can do substantive legal work for the summer.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:31 am

kapital98 wrote:The term is legally correct but it's very poor choice of language (at least for an economist.)

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:53 pm

Hi Everyone,
I have a USAO internship lined up that I'm really excited about, but I just found out that it ends 2 days after OCI starts at my school (weirdly early). I asked the career counselors if it would be a problem for me to tell the USAO that I'd have to leave early, but they were not really helpful at all. I was wondering if anyone else had had to leave 1L summer employment early in the past or if they'd negotiated an early departure date for this summer, and how it was received. Thanks.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi Everyone,
I have a USAO internship lined up that I'm really excited about, but I just found out that it ends 2 days after OCI starts at my school (weirdly early). I asked the career counselors if it would be a problem for me to tell the USAO that I'd have to leave early, but they were not really helpful at all. I was wondering if anyone else had had to leave 1L summer employment early in the past or if they'd negotiated an early departure date for this summer, and how it was received. Thanks.

It will obviously depend on your office, but I would think that a rational employer would understand the importance of OCI and would be willing to work with you so you aren't screwed for the more important 2L summer.

I think the most important think you should do is be completely transparent with them and communicate with your supervisor(s)/contact person as soon as possible.

Make sure you remind this person, as well as the people you're working with, throughout the summer that you'll be leaving early so they remember not to staff you on something that might make them feel fucked over when you leave early to do OCI.

I think where people run into trouble is when they keep this stuff to themselves and try to figure it out without keeping the employer in the loop out of fear. Employer might feel blindsighted because you didn't communicate and strategize early enough to work with them to figure out a mutually beneficial solution--which reflects poorly on your judgment and professional skillz.

Flash

Postby Flash » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Just got an offer from my number 1 job choice!
Last edited by Flash on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:32 pm

Flash wrote:Just an offer from a my number 1 job choice!

tell 'em you will...no, wait, tell 'em you might

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anonymous1495 wrote:Has anyone who has had an interview at Jones Day DC received an offer yet? Feel free to pm me if you don't want to post.

+1

They just did screeners at H today. Duke got grades even later than we did, so I imagine you still have some time to go unless you were a true home-run candidate.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:36 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Place 1:Passed screener, at callback stage. Waiting to hear back after callback.
Place 2:Had screener, waiting to hear on callback. Waiting to hear back after callback.
Place 3: Grade request, there is no screener stage, will hear on interviewing soon.
Place 4: Interview in 2 weeksthis week.
At Place 5 & 6, I've survived rounds of dings, but haven't heard anything either way.
Silence at Place 7, supposed to find out todayWaiting to hear back after interview.
Silence at Place 8, supposed to find out by the 15th Waiting to hear back after interview.
New Place 9: Waiting to hear back after screener.

Waiting sucks.

Return to “Legal Employment”