The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hoping for a little advice that will help me avoid being awkward/obnoxious. Two weeks ago, I interviewed with a federal judge. Had an awesome time and really want the gig. At the end of the interview, I was told that decisions would likely be made by last Friday and that they would call one way or another. I was told that if I hadn't heard from chambers on Friday that I could call in on the following Monday. Didn't hear on Friday, called twice yesterday and twice today. Voicemail every time. Would it be horribly obnoxious to leave a voice mail saying something to the effect of "hey its xxx, just calling to check the status of any decisions and reaffirm my interest. You can reach me at ###." Or should I take the hint?


Did you leave a voice message the previous times you called? I think calling several times looks annoying which is why you should just leave a voice message the first time you call.

If you haven't left one yet you might as well call again and leave a message.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hoping for a little advice that will help me avoid being awkward/obnoxious. Two weeks ago, I interviewed with a federal judge. Had an awesome time and really want the gig. At the end of the interview, I was told that decisions would likely be made by last Friday and that they would call one way or another. I was told that if I hadn't heard from chambers on Friday that I could call in on the following Monday. Didn't hear on Friday, called twice yesterday and twice today. Voicemail every time. Would it be horribly obnoxious to leave a voice mail saying something to the effect of "hey its xxx, just calling to check the status of any decisions and reaffirm my interest. You can reach me at ###." Or should I take the hint?


I would say leave a VM. You never know if they just got busy and put all of the externship stuff on hold.

FYI - I don't think calling a few times before leaving a VM is a problem. Lots of people don't bother looking at their missed calls.

berkeleykel06
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby berkeleykel06 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:41 pm

bk1 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Okay this might be a really n00bish question, but check-out time for my hotel is 12 noon, and my interview doesn't end until noon. Bring luggage with me to interview, then, I guess? It seems so awkward.


I dunno, I don't think it's awkward. Honestly I bet it happens all the time with people flying in. The only flight back I could get was really close to the end of my callback so the firm scheduled car service for me directly to the airport from the firm once lunch ended. I left my bags with the receptionist behind her desk and it was never seen by anybody who interviewed me (granted the reception desk was separated from the rest of the firm, I still don't think it's awkward at all).

Of course you can leave your bags with the hotel as people mentioned.


This is true. Firms are used to having people come in with luggage occassionally so it won't be weird to them. Many firms have a closet that the receptionist or one of the HR people will store your luggage in. Of course, leaving them at the hotel is probably preferrable, but if its not an option or you are going straight to the airport or something don't worry about taking your luggage to the firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:09 pm

I have accepted a judge's offer that I must turn down now.
Should I just tell him briefly in context of "sorry, can't go anymore"?
Or should I go on and explain in details why I can't go and blah blah..?
Any advice please?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have accepted a judge's offer that I must turn down now.
Should I just tell him briefly in context of "sorry, can't go anymore"?
Or should I go on and explain in details why I can't go and blah blah..?
Any advice please?
Yeah, don't do it. My judge would have been pretty pissed if someone accepted an offer then reneged. If you have a really legitimate reason, like transferring, moving out of the state, family member dying, etc., then just say so.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have accepted a judge's offer that I must turn down now.
Should I just tell him briefly in context of "sorry, can't go anymore"?
Or should I go on and explain in details why I can't go and blah blah..?
Any advice please?
Yeah, don't do it. My judge would have been pretty pissed if someone accepted an offer then reneged. If you have a really legitimate reason, like transferring, moving out of the state, family member dying, etc., then just say so.


I mean I have to say no. But my question is more of "how" or "what" to say...:(

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13640
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Flips88 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have accepted a judge's offer that I must turn down now.
Should I just tell him briefly in context of "sorry, can't go anymore"?
Or should I go on and explain in details why I can't go and blah blah..?
Any advice please?
Yeah, don't do it. My judge would have been pretty pissed if someone accepted an offer then reneged. If you have a really legitimate reason, like transferring, moving out of the state, family member dying, etc., then just say so.


I mean I have to say no. But my question is more of "how" or "what" to say...:(

Say why you "have" to say no. It's not that hard.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:27 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have accepted a judge's offer that I must turn down now.
Should I just tell him briefly in context of "sorry, can't go anymore"?
Or should I go on and explain in details why I can't go and blah blah..?
Any advice please?
Yeah, don't do it. My judge would have been pretty pissed if someone accepted an offer then reneged. If you have a really legitimate reason, like transferring, moving out of the state, family member dying, etc., then just say so.


I mean I have to say no. But my question is more of "how" or "what" to say...:(

Say why you "have" to say no. It's not that hard.

Exactly. And if the reason you "have" to say no makes you look like an idiot (e.g. "decided I can't work for free this summer," "got a better job offer for the summer") then prepare you anus for the verbal ass-kicking you deserve.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Thoughts on externing for a US Bankruptcy Judge? How does this compare to State AG?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:34 pm

Does anyone know if Jones Day allows 1L SAs to work fewer than the posted eight weeks if they are splitting with DoJ?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I mean I have to say no. But my question is more of "how" or "what" to say...:(

The suspense of why you can't extern there anymore is killing me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:36 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I mean I have to say no. But my question is more of "how" or "what" to say...:(

The suspense of why you can't extern there anymore is killing me.


Agreed. Please do tell.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby NYC Law » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on externing for a US Bankruptcy Judge? How does this compare to State AG?


BK Judge is supposed to be pretty interesting. Especially useful if you want to work in Business Law. I'd imagine it holds about the same weight as State AG.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if Jones Day allows 1L SAs to work fewer than the posted eight weeks if they are splitting with DoJ?

You should probably just ask Jones Day, assuming you already have an offer.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if Jones Day allows 1L SAs to work fewer than the posted eight weeks if they are splitting with DoJ?


You are really going to try to split a 1L SA? Why don't you split with DOJ next summer? The volunteer internship program is much less likely to get you the kind of experience or job prospects that the SLIP program does. Most firms allow 2Ls to split with DOJ from what i'm told.

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby target » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:27 pm

From experience, how long was your judicial externship interview? I finished mine around 25 mins and felt like the clerks were in a rush to finish the interview.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby beachbum » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:07 pm

target wrote:From experience, how long was your judicial externship interview? I finished mine around 25 mins and felt like the clerks were in a rush to finish the interview.


I interviewed for about 30 minutes with the clerks, then took a 30 minute writing test (?), and then interviewed with the judge for another 30 minutes. Not sure if this is typical, though.

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Lwoods » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:25 pm

target wrote:From experience, how long was your judicial externship interview? I finished mine around 25 mins and felt like the clerks were in a rush to finish the interview.


Mine was about a half an hour, though I was offered the position after only 15 minutes or so. In the remaining time, we just made conversation.

User avatar
istara
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby istara » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:45 pm

Just found out others (with lower grades) are getting callbacks where I had interviews. Boo...

But, also have a screening phone interview at a dream firm next week.. hopefully I won't f*** this one like the last few! O.o

Any advice for phone interviews? I've never had one.

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Haymarket » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:52 pm

istara wrote:Just found out others (with lower grades) are getting callbacks where I had interviews. Boo...

But, also have a screening phone interview at a dream firm next week.. hopefully I won't f*** this one like the last few! O.o

Any advice for phone interviews? I've never had one.

Stand up and walk around when you're doing it. You'll enunciate and project better. Other than that, just don't miss the call and be ready for normal interview questions.

thesteelers
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 6:06 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby thesteelers » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:24 pm

I have learned one thing. If you have the grades, you don't need to network. If you don't have the grades, all the networking in the world won't help you.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:26 pm

Just got an offer from an east-coast PI org I interviewed with. I'm going to ask the firm I interviewed with if they can give me a decision in the next week, but absent an offer from them or some big change I'll be accepting.

They also never mentioned or asked me for grades. :mrgreen:

User avatar
BEAST_mode
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:00 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby BEAST_mode » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:28 pm

thesteelers wrote:I have learned one thing. If you have the grades, you don't need to network. If you don't have the grades, all the networking in the world won't help you.


True Life: I Don't Attend a T14.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:46 pm

thesteelers wrote:I have learned one thing. If you have the grades, you don't need to network. If you don't have the grades, all the networking in the world won't help you.


can you elaborate?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Just got an offer from an east-coast PI org I interviewed with. I'm going to ask the firm I interviewed with if they can give me a decision in the next week, but absent an offer from them or some big change I'll be accepting.

They also never mentioned or asked me for grades. :mrgreen:


Congrats bro!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.