The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
acrossthelake

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:34 pm

In limbo at the moment. It's a bright limbo, but it's stressing me out and I think I'm driving the people closest to me crazy talking about it.

Place 1: Passed screener, at callback stage.
Place 2: Had screener, waiting to hear on callback.
Place 3: Grade request, there is no screener stage, will hear on interviewing soon.
Place 4: Interview in 2 weeks.
At Place 5 & 6, I've survived rounds of dings, but haven't heard anything either way.
Silence at Place 7, supposed to find out today.
Silence at Place 8, supposed to find out by the 15th.

I'm not sure if it's time to start sending out more apps. I just want a summer jerb.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:46 pm

looking for a summer job is frustrating as hell, this sucks big time

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:07 pm

ph14 wrote:Accepted a summer job this week. Feels great to get the job hunt out of the way. Good luck to everyone else still looking for work!

It feels great, yeah. Only when I told my Moot Court professor today about how excited I was, he was like, so what are you doing next summer? And started asking me about it. It never stops.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:16 pm

ilovesf wrote:
ph14 wrote:Accepted a summer job this week. Feels great to get the job hunt out of the way. Good luck to everyone else still looking for work!

It feels great, yeah. Only when I told my Moot Court professor today about how excited I was, he was like, so what are you doing next summer? And started asking me about it. It never stops.

Where are you going to be working this summer?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:21 pm

ph14 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

federal district judge in sf

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:44 pm

ilovesf wrote:
ph14 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

federal district judge in sf

Sweet, sounds like that'll be a great experience. Not to mention getting to enjoy SF in the summer.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I've got what is so far my only PI interview tomorrow. In Philadelphia. I'd really like the job but damn is it a hassle to find time to fly out.

Hope your interview went well! I have my Philly PI interview next Friday; unfortunately, I'm not baller enough to afford a plane ticket, so it's just over the phone. Hope we can hang this summer. I'm totally going to drag you with me to the dy ke bar!

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:54 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:I've got what is so far my only PI interview tomorrow. In Philadelphia. I'd really like the job but damn is it a hassle to find time to fly out.

Hope your interview went well! I have my Philly PI interview next Friday; unfortunately, I'm not baller enough to afford a plane ticket, so it's just over the phone. Hope we can hang this summer. I'm totally going to drag you with me to the dy ke bar!

I think it went really well; I should hear back within a couple of weeks.

And I'll go with you to that bar and snare myself a lady. I like a challenge.

Flash

Postby Flash » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:19 pm

Is anybody else going to the MPILCC tomorrow?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:24 pm

ph14 wrote:
Sweet, sounds like that'll be a great experience. Not to mention getting to enjoy SF in the summer.

Summer? It's all fogggg.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:28 pm

Flash wrote:Is anybody else going to the MPILCC tomorrow?

That would be an excellent TLS meetup location. You should all wear matching tshirts! :D

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:28 pm

Xifeng wrote:

That would be an excellent TLS meetup location. You should all wear matching tshirts! :D

I assume that's how PI people dress professionally.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:30 pm

ilovesf wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Summer? It's all fogggg.

Beats NYC in the summer...Image

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:47 pm

I'll be a no show at my interview and I know at least one other person doing the same so for those that didn't getting anything and want open slots, I think there will be several.

ETA: though I will probably be in the library reading, outlining, and working on my brief. I'll be creepin on y'all.

Flash

Postby Flash » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:51 pm

If I'm just going for the table talks do you all think I still need to be there early and register?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:58 pm

Flash wrote:If I'm just going for the table talks do you all think I still need to be there early and register?

It seems like you don't have to. Registration is only for interviews and open interview slots from what I can gather. I assume the table talk will be in our atrium or by the auditorium and you can probably walk in and out of there just fine.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:32 am

ph14 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Summer? It's all fogggg.

Beats NYC in the summer...Image

It's like that basically for all the Mid-Atlantic & New England states in the summer. :(

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:57 am

I have my first interview today with a state district court judge. Kind of nervous. I have three interviews this week total. Hopefully that means I'll have this internship thing wrapped up by the end of the week or next week...

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Just set up an interview with a District Court judge in my preferred region (where I'm not from and don't go to law school, and it's not a major market, so I was really worried about ties)! Interview isn't for a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping he doesn't hire anyone before then!

69Coronet

Postby 69Coronet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:05 pm

Hooo-ahh!
Had an interview for a First Circuit Federal District Court of Appeals Judge on Thursday, it went very well.
Was told they'd make a decision by early this week.
Just got a voicemail from one of the judge's clerks asking me to call her back.
Just gotta get out of class in 35 minutes and then I very well may have an offer in hand. :shock:

EDIT: Forgot the word "Circuit"
Last edited by 69Coronet on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:08 pm

69Coronet wrote:Hooo-ahh!
Had an interview for a First Federal District Court of Appeals Judge on Thursday, it went very well.
Was told they'd make a decision by early this week.
Just got a voicemail from one of the judge's clerks asking me to call her back.
Just gotta get out of class in 35 minutes and then I very well may have an offer in hand. :shock:

Rejections are rarely over the phone. Congrats!

69Coronet

Postby 69Coronet » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:19 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Rejections are rarely over the phone. Congrats!

Thank you! Only 20 more minutes... I've never wanted to pay attention in Con Law less...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Looking for some advice...I had some interest from firms until I got my grades back, which were horrendous (sub 3.0 at a mid T14). So I need to start applying at different places, but I don't know who would be less grade-conscious. Judges? Legal aid-type groups? Something else??

Another question is are summer employers generally inflexible about start dates? The one firm that's still interested in me isn't going to work out because their program starts at the beginning of June but I can't leave my area until mid June (have to wait until my kids' school gets out). They weren't able to be flexible about the start date because of training seminars and whatnot, so I'm wondering if I'm going to run into that problem elsewhere.

Appreciate any advice!

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looking for some advice...I had some interest from firms until I got my grades back, which were horrendous (sub 3.0 at a mid T14). So I need to start applying at different places, but I don't know who would be less grade-conscious. Judges? Legal aid-type groups? Something else??

Another question is are summer employers generally inflexible about start dates? The one firm that's still interested in me isn't going to work out because their program starts at the beginning of June but I can't leave my area until mid June (have to wait until my kids' school gets out). They weren't able to be flexible about the start date because of training seminars and whatnot, so I'm wondering if I'm going to run into that problem elsewhere.

Appreciate any advice!

Anything other than firms. If you've noticed upstream in the thread, a lot of people applied to judges Dec 1st. Those spots have either been taken, or they're about done scheduling interviews. You can try to mass-mail them, but keep in mind your odds are dim. For public-interest jobs, you should take the time to really customize to the extent that you can instead of just sending out generic cover letters, but at this point, you should also apply broadly.

It really depends on the organization.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:25 pm

Okay this might be a really n00bish question, but check-out time for my hotel is 12 noon, and my interview doesn't end until noon. Bring luggage with me to interview, then, I guess? It seems so awkward.

Return to “Legal Employment”