The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bildungsroman

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
target wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Need some advice on how to handle this situation...will be interviewing for a couple of 1L firm jobs at the end of this week and next week.

Just received an offer from a USAO today that is open until February 15. Obviously I'd like to hold that open as long a possible to ssee where the firm jobs go. Two questions:

1. Better to respond to the offer today and explain that I'm interviewing with a couple of firms and thus probably won't be able to give them a decision until nearer the deadline or is it better to just not respond at all until closer to the deadline? I'm leaning towards the first but I'm not sure if that's some sort of affront to them at the USAO

2. When I interview for the firm job is there any way I can let them know that a decision would be really helpful before the 15th without being tacky?

Thanks guys

If I were you, I would not respond to the USAO offer just yet and wait until the 15th to either accept or deny. You could bring this up during an interview by asking your interviewer what're the next steps in the process and that you are having an USAO offer so would appreciate if they could let you know by the 15th.

Interesting. So it isn't unusual to not respond at all for a couple of weeks?

Um, I would definitely email them back to let them know you received the email and will give them your decision by the deadline.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:45 pm

Same anon that you responded to:

Necessary to tell them what the other interviews are for or is it enough to explain that I'm interviewing at another location but should be able to give adecision by the deadline?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:30 pm

Anyone have advice on how to politely request time to consider your offer without sounding unenthusiastic?

I am playing phone tag with a recruiter after my callback, but just had another callback today that i'd like to hear back from before making a final decision.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have advice on how to politely request time to consider your offer without sounding unenthusiastic?

I am playing phone tag with a recruiter after my callback, but just had another callback today that I'd like to hear back from before making a final decision.

If they make you an offer, just ask about it like a normal human. Say something like, "That's great! When do you need to know my decision by?" Most firms are not going to give you an exploding offer and know that you might need to get your ducks in a row before giving them an answer. Just avoid saying anything that could be construed like you're accepting now and also avoid mentioning that you need to check with places you'd rather work.

Vagueness is the essence of politeness, and they understand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:47 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
target wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Need some advice on how to handle this situation...will be interviewing for a couple of 1L firm jobs at the end of this week and next week.

Just received an offer from a USAO today that is open until February 15. Obviously I'd like to hold that open as long a possible to ssee where the firm jobs go. Two questions:

1. Better to respond to the offer today and explain that I'm interviewing with a couple of firms and thus probably won't be able to give them a decision until nearer the deadline or is it better to just not respond at all until closer to the deadline? I'm leaning towards the first but I'm not sure if that's some sort of affront to them at the USAO

2. When I interview for the firm job is there any way I can let them know that a decision would be really helpful before the 15th without being tacky?

Thanks guys

If I were you, I would not respond to the USAO offer just yet and wait until the 15th to either accept or deny. You could bring this up during an interview by asking your interviewer what're the next steps in the process and that you are having an USAO offer so would appreciate if they could let you know by the 15th.

Um, I would definitely email them back to let them know you received the email and will give them your decision by the deadline.

Good chance I'm being obnoxious here but I would like a 3rd opinion to break the tie. :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:48 pm

Anyone here have any callback advice? Can anyone share their experiences of what a callback is like at a firm?

target

Postby target » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
target wrote:

Good chance I'm being obnoxious here but I would like a 3rd opinion to break the tie. :)

Not sure if this would persuade you one way or another, but I meant what Bil said. I was just careless in my response. You should respond and thank them for the offer. Then, you can politely tell them that you will need time to decide and will give them an answer by their deadline. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:39 am

Thank you that helps a lot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:12 am

I have three offers that I am considering. All non-paid.
State AG office, non-profit organization, and state judge internship.
I know this is too generalized but if you were to rank, what should I take?
I am more interested in how future employers will look at this and I want to work at a large law firm.
Any advice?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have three offers that I am considering. All non-paid.
I am more interested in how future employers will look at this and I want to work at a large law firm.
Any advice?

Can you ask to split at your favorite two?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:18 pm

Any advice?

Do you get the same amount of monies from your school, even if you do the judicial externship (and if not, can you take out loans to do it for credit?)

I think any of the three are kinda the same. I would personally figure out what type of substantive work you'll be doing, and see which one might give you the best writing sample/something to talk about at OCI

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:50 pm

I have what seems like an offer, but I'm not sure - with the judge from before. They called to see when I was available last week, and said it should work, and they have about all the final people so it looks good, and wanted to know what other offers I had (none). But I think they said they'd get back to me. Haven't heard anything yet, but got an email from another District Judge from the same district (same building) asking about my availability and everything. Not sure if I should say no, answer, or what, since my other Judge doesn't seem to be 100% yet...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:00 pm

Guchster wrote:
Any advice?

Do you get the same amount of monies from your school, even if you do the judicial externship (and if not, can you take out loans to do it for credit?)

I think any of the three are kinda the same. I would personally figure out what type of substantive work you'll be doing, and see which one might give you the best writing sample/something to talk about at OCI

Still can't decide... weighs the same.. sigh
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:01 pm

NYC Law wrote:I have what seems like an offer, but I'm not sure - with the judge from before. They called to see when I was available last week, and said it should work, and they have about all the final people so it looks good, and wanted to know what other offers I had (none). But I think they said they'd get back to me. Haven't heard anything yet, but got an email from another District Judge from the same district (same building) asking about my availability and everything. Not sure if I should say no, answer, or what, since my other Judge doesn't seem to be 100% yet...

Would you want to work for the first judge as a first choice?

Hmm, I would double check with the first judge, just to be sure...asking that you just wanted to confirm where you're at in the interview process so you can figure out how to respond to other interview offers that are coming in.

If you got the jerbs and it's the one you want... take it and run. If you don't get the jerbs quite yet, I would take the second interview, but I might actually tell the first judge where my head is at (explaining that want to protect your own interests this summer, while waiting for a decision). While I don't think judges sit around and talk about interns they're hiring, it might just be a good practice to avoid a surprise hitting that first judge out of nowhere, as you work in the same building if you end up going with the second judge.

I think the tricky situation is if you do have the jerbs, but you want to try out the second interview. I think in that case, you have to balance the undecided TLS debate about whether you can turn down a judge (or ask for an extension of an offer--which I'm of course happy to oblige my own opinion).

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Guchster wrote:
Any advice?

Would you pick (only intern, a great writing sample but not where you want to work) OR (20 interns, area of law you might want to pursue in the future in the state you want to work in but not so much writing/research skill development)?

I'm not the brightest bulb in the classroom, so take my input with a grain of salt. But I PERSONALLY would take the great writing sample and experience (plus jerb recommendations and references) at the small place. Second place is still a good option. But if you're looking to do big law, you're brain needs to focus on OCI and maximizing topics in interviews. Doing the type of law/state can be accommodated during your tenure in Big Law--things you do for your 1L summer aren't going to land you that job, 3 to 4 years down the road. But getting that decent writing sample/references/moar interesting experiences might give you a tiny,slight edge during OCI.

In all honestly, I would just do whatever one takes less planning and imposes the least amount of stress (as long as the jerb is legally related and somewhat substantive for OCI conversations).

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:28 pm

Accepted a firm offer today.

Weird how everything falls into place all at once. Good luck to those of you still interviewing, eventually your hard work will be rewarded.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:37 am

Got 1 interview from the PILC Fair... should I cancel since I have all this judge stuff floating around? Not sure if I have an offer yet...

Also, is loan funding for that kind of thing over the summer adequate? (if I do it through the externship program for credit) It's in another city with a high COL, so I'm not sure if I can afford it. Though I am interested if the judges don't pan out, it's in a field related to my UG major.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:39 am

NYC Law wrote:Got 1 interview from the PILC Fair... should I cancel since I have all this judge stuff floating around? Not sure if I have an offer yet...

Also, is loan funding for that kind of thing over the summer adequate? (if I do it through the externship program for credit) It's in another city with a high COL, so I'm not sure if I can afford it. Though I am interested if the judges don't pan out, it's in a field related to my UG major.

People that don't go to my school get interviews at our PILC Fair, but I can't? This is ridiculous.

(No offense)

Also, I don't think it hurts to interview. Unless getting there is really inconvenient for you, I would just do it.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:42 am

NYC Law wrote:Got 1 interview from the PILC Fair... should I cancel since I have all this judge stuff floating around? Not sure if I have an offer yet...

I'd interview if it isn't too much of a hassle. It's always good practice for OCI and for future jobs. You don't have anything confirmed with the Judges so there's really no harm.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:43 am

birdlaw117 wrote:

People that don't go to my school get interviews at our PILC Fair, but I can't? This is ridiculous.

(No offense)

Also, I don't think it hurts to interview. Unless getting there is really inconvenient for you, I would just do it.

Sorry. It's the only one I got though, and it's across the country, and it's in what I majored in. I applied to the least competitive places on the list and still just got that one, so it was really just luck.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:50 am

NYC Law wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

(No offense)

Sorry. It's the only one I got though, and it's across the country, and it's in what I majored in. I applied to the least competitive places on the list and still just got that one, so it was really just luck.

I'm just bitching. Don't apologize, it's not your fault that you're better than me and I'm sensitive to the high probability of 1L summer unemployment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:24 am

I have an interview next week. What kinds of things are best to do research on about a particular office?

Obviously I'll be doing all this over the weekend but I was wondering if there are particular things that you guys found helpful aside from the obvious (let them know your practice group interest/be able to explain coherently why that group and why that office, have questions about life at the firm, etc)

Postby 071816 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:41 pm

Accepted a position at a PI place. Glad this shit storm is finally over.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:14 pm

chimp wrote:Accepted a position at a PI place. Glad this shit storm is finally over.

congrats chimp. that's awesome :)

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:09 pm

Accepted a summer job this week. Feels great to get the job hunt out of the way. Good luck to everyone else still looking for work!

Return to “Legal Employment”