The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:02 pm

Did anyone have their references called?
I think they are calling mine, which I did not expect.
I wrote down people that know me but I did not tell them because I thought they weren't going to call anyways ha.
Should I tell my references now, at least? Though its kinda too late?
Any thoughts?

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:05 pm

ilovesf wrote:I need advice! So I had my interview with a judge and it went really well. She asked me if any other Judges had contacted me, and I told her that yes one had and his assistant is going to call me on Feb 1 to schedule an interview. She said I should interview with him, but that she was going to offer me the job and that I should respond to her on Thursday by 4pm about whether I wanted to accept her offer. I was really shocked so I just said okay thank you I really appreciate your offer, and I didn't accept on the spot. She seems like she really was fine if I interviewed with another Judge and she told me I should. If she said all of that, does the conventional wisdom that I should still say yes to her still apply? If so, I'll call her chambers tomorrow and say yes. Or should I wait for this other Judge to call me on Wednesday and see what happens?

Congratulations! :D :D :D

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone have their references called?
I wrote down people that know me but I did not tell them because I thought they weren't going to call anyways ha.
Any thoughts?

Some of mine were called. I got permission before I put them down as references. I don't think it reflect well on you if the person you put down act surprised when called.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:35 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Any thoughts?

Some of mine were called. I got permission before I put them down as references. I don't think it reflect well on you if the person you put down act surprised when called.

Well I'm sure it won't be a good thing. But now they have been called and probably figured out that I wrote them as reference, should I still tell them now though it is kind of late?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Any thoughts?

Well I'm sure it won't be a good thing. But now they have been called and probably figured out that I wrote them as reference, should I still tell them now though it is kind of late?

This is so fucking tacky. I would be annoyed as hell if I were being called randomly because someone had given my contact information out so I could I could talk 'em up without asking.

I would definitely disclose to all recommenders. ASAP.

One thing you should not do in the future, as you move forward, is to give email/phone numbers/addresses's of other people without asking them in the first place. Some people prefer different contact information, or particular about their privacy.

ETA: Strategy to handle this, you do owe them a huge apology--eventually. I would play it off nonchalantly and tell them that you hope they don't mind you used them as a reference--because you felt so close to them, feel like they know you... etc. etc. etc. And tell them that if they do mind, to contact you asap so you can inform the employer and change recommenders.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:56 pm

Guchster wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Any thoughts?

This is so fucking tacky. I would be annoyed as hell if I were being called randomly because someone had given my contact information out so I could I could talk 'em up without asking.

I would definitely disclose to all recommenders. ASAP.

One thing you should not do in the future, as you move forward, is to give email/phone numbers/addresses's of other people without asking them in the first place. Some people prefer different contact information, or particular about their privacy.

ETA: Strategy to handle this, you do owe them a huge apology--eventually. I would play it off nonchalantly and tell them that you hope they don't mind you used them as a reference--because you felt so close to them, feel like they know you... etc. etc. etc. And tell them that if they do mind, to contact you asap so you can inform the employer and change recommenders.

Thanks a lot for the advice... Sigh. :(

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks a lot for the advice... Sigh. :(

don't feel too bad about this. you're not going to lose a job over this (or anything significant). I think part of your decision not to include them stemmed ALSO from the fact that you didn't feel it was necessary to let them know, because you have such a close relationship with them that it wouldn't be an imposition on their behalf to talk about you/serve as support.

it'll be fine, but do something about it now before it turns into you losing a jerb because a reference acts like a total dick for being called out or acts suprised (which as r6 mentioned, reflects poorly on your professional judgment).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

You have to make good with them because other employers will call in the future too.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:45 pm

Guchster wrote:
Ship87 wrote:
Guchster wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Oh yeah that's way better. Send screen caps.

LOL on my way. I'll credit you guys for sending me over.

Didn't we move to a private Facebook group specifically because the public was able to see posts? I don't think taking someone's comment from a private Facebook group and posting it verbatim on TLS or ATL is appropriate.

Stop being a lil wimp. I redacted the name, so it's not like people are being outed on here. The trouble with a public facebook was poasts had the person's name attached which could be bad for employment.

And I could care less if you think it's appropriate. Advise the poaster not to write stupid shit.

I just wanted to QFP this from a few pages back, given this. (LinkRemoved)

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:50 pm

Haymarket wrote:I just wanted to QFP this from a few pages back, given this. (LinkRemoved)

BUT I DIDN'T DO IT!!!! I got too lazy to send the actual email myself, and I felt bad for the fbpoaster.

Apparently MULTIPLE CLS classmates sent it in--fucking backstabbers! But one classmate was being a superdouche and poasted a link on our facebook group to this thread--and hence my profile--to out me. Now everyone thinks I did it and i'm out of the fb group :(
Last edited by Guchster on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:51 pm

Having her email be FirstNameLastName.harvard@gmail.com is still the ultimate douchebaggery in that whole exchange

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:51 pm

Flips88 wrote:Having her email be FirstNameLastName.harvard@gmail.com is still the ultimate douchebaggery in that whole exchange

True. esp. when you go to Columbia. :shock:

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:54 pm

Also. I think my new archnemesis is Haymarket. Every person needs one (spiderman, batman, etc.)

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:55 pm

Guchster wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Having her email be FirstNameLastName.harvard@gmail.com is still the ultimate douchebaggery in that whole exchange

True. esp. when you go to Columbia. :shock:

I'm assuming she went to Harvard UG, but still that's pretentious as fuck to use your email address to broadcast your educational superiority to everyone you interact with.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:04 pm

Guchster wrote:Apparently MULTIPLE CLS classmates sent it in--fucking backstabbers! But one classmate was being a superdouche and poasted a link on our facebook group to this thread--and hence my profile--to out me. Now everyone thinks I did it and i'm out of the fb group :(

That's really not cool.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:13 pm

bdubs wrote:
Guchster wrote:Apparently MULTIPLE CLS classmates sent it in--fucking backstabbers! But one classmate was being a superdouche and poasted a link on our facebook group to this thread--and hence my profile--to out me. Now everyone thinks I did it and i'm out of the fb group :(

That's really not cool.

To be fair, he posted it to show the origin of the controversy and took it down almost immediately. Still, obviously not fast enough. :( Luckily, everyone now seems to be distracted by a bunch of cute cat and puppy videos (not kidding).

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:17 pm

Guchster wrote:
BUT I DIDN'T DO IT!!!! I got too lazy to send the actual email myself, and I felt bad for the fbpoaster.

Apparently MULTIPLE CLS classmates sent it in--fucking backstabbers! But one classmate was being a superdouche and poasted a link on our facebook group to this thread--and hence my profile--to out me. Now everyone thinks I did it and i'm out of the fb group :(

It sounds like you go to school with a bunch of assholes.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:19 pm

Guchster wrote:Also. I think my new archnemesis is Haymarket. Every person needs one (spiderman, batman, etc.)

If you're okay with it not being reciprocal, I'm fine with this.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:23 pm

kapital98 wrote:
I sent out 16 original applications and got 0, yes 0, invites. I have a strong PI background so I don't know what happened. :cry:

Over winter break I was offered an internship with a Public Defender's Office in NY. I'll take that and stop wasting precious time on trying to find a federal position here. Rochester, NY is quite nice in the summer.

(I'm still hoping a federal judicial externship will fall from the sky.)

stupid PI orgs. I guess all the pi interviews went to Berkeley students. Congrats on your PD gig though, that should be really interesting! By when do you have to give an answer?

orderofthings

Postby orderofthings » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:43 pm

So I applied to a lot of firms and judges in my home market December 1st, and haven't heard from a lot of them still. Any opinions of when and how I should contact them to get an update? Thanks.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:44 pm

ilovesf wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
I sent out 16 original applications and got 0, yes 0, invites. I have a strong PI background so I don't know what happened. :cry:

Over winter break I was offered an internship with a Public Defender's Office in NY. I'll take that and stop wasting precious time on trying to find a federal position here. Rochester, NY is quite nice in the summer.

(I'm still hoping a federal judicial externship will fall from the sky.)

stupid PI orgs. I guess all the pi interviews went to Berkeley students. Congrats on your PD gig though, that should be really interesting! By when do you have to give an answer?

It's an open offer. I worked for the office during college and worked directly for the 2nd assistant public defender (#3 in the chain of command at a PD's office.) During and after the internship we really hit it off and she's become an excellent mentor (law school LoR, Job Reference, care packages during finals, etc...).

The best part about the internship is knowing the quality of the people I'm working with and knowing they will give me every possible opportunity to learn how to practice law. The cases are all interesting violent felonies. I can't say the same thing would happen with a random internship in San Francisco.

The offer should be open until summer internships start. If something does turn up I won't offend anyone by rescinding my acceptance (well, hopefully not.)

P.S. BERKELEY!!!

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:49 pm

orderofthings wrote:So I applied to a lot of firms and judges in my home market December 1st, and haven't heard from a lot of them still. Any opinions of when and how I should contact them to get an update? Thanks.

Give them a cold call. It will show them you are interested in the job. To do this find the number of the Judge's clerk and give them a cold call. Ask if they received your externship package and if any further information is required.

Most likely they will tell you, "Yes we've received it. If we need any further information we will contact you." However, there is a small chance you could be interviewed on the spot. Be prepared to speak eloquently and be polite.

A cold call should help you. You'll talk to someone you want to work with and who will probably be a part in the selection process. On the other hand, if you come off as poorly prepared or rude it will make a rejection more likely.

Lastly, don't do multiple cold calls to the same office unless there is a good reason to. It will unnecessarily annoy the clerks. You really don't want that.

Regarding firms: Cold calling is even more important with firms. Calling the firm to confirm receiving an application is the equivalent of sending a thank you email/letter after an interview. It will keep your application fresh in their minds.

orderofthings

Postby orderofthings » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:05 pm

kapital98 wrote:
orderofthings wrote:So I applied to a lot of firms and judges in my home market December 1st, and haven't heard from a lot of them still. Any opinions of when and how I should contact them to get an update? Thanks.

Give them a cold call. It will show them you are interested in the job. To do this find the number of the Judge's clerk and give them a cold call. Ask if they received your externship package and if any further information is required.

Most likely they will tell you, "Yes we've received it. If we need any further information we will contact you." However, there is a small chance you could be interviewed on the spot. Be prepared to speak eloquently and be polite.

A cold call should help you. You'll talk to someone you want to work with and who will probably be a part in the selection process. On the other hand, if you come off as poorly prepared or rude it will make a rejection more likely.

Lastly, don't do multiple cold calls to the same office unless there is a good reason to. It will unnecessarily annoy the clerks. You really don't want that.

Regarding firms: Cold calling is even more important with firms. Calling the firm to confirm receiving an application is the equivalent of sending a thank you email/letter after an interview. It will keep your application fresh in their minds.

Thank you for the reply. I'm going to do this in a week in or two so hopefully it works out.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:08 pm

Did you get good grades? If so, I would ask them if they would like an unofficial transcript.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:11 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Guchster wrote:

It sounds like you go to school with a bunch of assholes.

Yep, sounds like Columbia alright.

Return to “Legal Employment”