The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
camelcrema

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby camelcrema » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:02 pm

Has anyone nailed down CA AG?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:05 pm

I need advice! So I had my interview with a judge and it went really well. She asked me if any other Judges had contacted me, and I told her that yes one had and his assistant is going to call me on Feb 1 to schedule an interview. She said I should interview with him, but that she was going to offer me the job and that I should respond to her on Thursday by 4pm about whether I wanted to accept her offer. I was really shocked so I just said okay thank you I really appreciate your offer, and I didn't accept on the spot. She seems like she really was fine if I interviewed with another Judge and she told me I should. If she said all of that, does the conventional wisdom that I should still say yes to her still apply? If so, I'll call her chambers tomorrow and say yes. Or should I wait for this other Judge to call me on Wednesday and see what happens?

yale2011

Postby yale2011 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:08 pm

Last edited by yale2011 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:09 pm

ilovesf wrote:I need advice! So I had my interview with a judge and it went really well. She asked me if any other Judges had contacted me, and I told her that yes one had and his assistant is going to call me on Feb 1 to schedule an interview. She said I should interview with him, but that she was going to offer me the job and that I should respond to her on Thursday by 4pm about whether I wanted to accept her offer. I was really shocked so I just said okay thank you I really appreciate your offer, and I didn't accept on the spot. She seems like she really was fine if I interviewed with another Judge and she told me I should. If she said all of that, does the conventional wisdom that I should still say yes to her still apply? If so, I'll call her chambers tomorrow and say yes. Or should I wait for this other Judge to call me on Wednesday and see what happens?

If she encouraged you to interview elsewhere I see nothing wrong with waiting until Thursday.

As has been several times:

1. The conventional wisdom applies primarily to clerkships. It doesn't necessarily apply to externships, though there is division over whether it does or it doesn't.
2. Even so, the only blowback that might happen would be to your school and not you. So you're not really risking anything yourself.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:10 pm

bk1 wrote:If she encouraged you to interview elsewhere I see nothing wrong with waiting until Thursday.

As has been several times:

1. The conventional wisdom applies primarily to clerkships. It doesn't necessarily apply to externships, though there is division over whether it does or it doesn't.
2. Even so, the only blowback that might happen would be to your school and not you. So you're not really risking anything yourself.

Thanks! I know it was a silly question, I just really didn't want to mess anything up.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:12 pm

ilovesf wrote:She seems like she really was fine if I interviewed with another Judge and she told me I should. If she said all of that, does the conventional wisdom that I should still say yes to her still apply? If so, I'll call her chambers tomorrow and say yes. Or should I wait for this other Judge to call me on Wednesday and see what happens?

I doubt the judge is trying to deceive you, just accept what she said at face value. Interview for the other position and let them know about the deadline at the end of the interview. If you have two offers then you can decide between them, but if they decline to make you an offer by the deadline then you should probably just accept the job with the first judge.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:13 pm

ilovesf wrote:I need advice! So I had my interview with a judge and it went really well. She asked me if any other Judges had contacted me, and I told her that yes one had and his assistant is going to call me on Feb 1 to schedule an interview. She said I should interview with him, but that she was going to offer me the job and that I should respond to her on Thursday by 4pm about whether I wanted to accept her offer. I was really shocked so I just said okay thank you I really appreciate your offer, and I didn't accept on the spot. She seems like she really was fine if I interviewed with another Judge and she told me I should. If she said all of that, does the conventional wisdom that I should still say yes to her still apply? If so, I'll call her chambers tomorrow and say yes. Or should I wait for this other Judge to call me on Wednesday and see what happens?

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so happy for you. You really deserve this terrific opportunity--between your unfailing support of everyone on TLS and your own amazing grades! I had a good feeling that you were going to slam dunk this interview.

I'm not an expert on judicial stuff, but my inkling is that the clerk 'cant' say no' offer rule isn't so strictly applied to judicial externships. In particular, this judge seems like she is totally okay with you turning her down. the offer after your next interview. I don't think she was giving you an extension just to be polite. If she expected an answer on the spot, she would've given you an exploding one.

But in the end, when you're deciding between both judges (because I know you're going to get that other jerb), just remember that this judge was so impressed by you that she offered you a jerb on the spot and even gave you more time to think about it--sounds like she really wants you in her chambers this summer.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:16 pm

ilovesf wrote:Thanks! I know it was a silly question, I just really didn't want to mess anything up.

I don't think it's silly. I mean there's a ton of comments flying back and forth on this read i/r/t how to respond to a judicial offer.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Guchster wrote:
CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so happy for you. You really deserve this terrific opportunity--between your unfailing support of everyone on TLS and your own amazing grades! I had a good feeling that you were going to slam dunk this interview.

:lol: I think this is the nicest thing a person has said to me without even knowing me.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:17 pm

bk1 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Thanks! I know it was a silly question, I just really didn't want to mess anything up.

I don't think it's silly. I mean there's a ton of comments flying back and forth on this read i/r/t how to respond to a judicial offer.

Yeah I think it was a totally valid question, considering how most people disagree on this stuff. Some die hard people that take positions on opposite sides.

Regardless, you're in terrific shape at jerbz that seems to really want you.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:37 pm

I wish jerbz wanted me... Maybe I'll get an offer one of these days. Probably not though. Oh well.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:41 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:I wish jerbz wanted me... Maybe I'll get an offer one of these days. Probably not though. Oh well.

Hang in there. We're still really early on. Isn't there that huge career fair at NYU on the 7th? I know CLS is trolling it, haha--fucking freeloaders!!! Most of my friends are just getting together their resumes and cover letters. One bitch asked me what PI STOOD FOR!!!!!!! And another friend just found out that judicial clerkships aren't covered by summer monies so she turned down the judge and got in trouble, lol. So these are the types of people you're up against (NYU 1Ls are going to be looking at us at the career fair like, 'are you bitches for real?!)

I bet you'll have a job within the next two weeks. if that doesn't work, we'll just remove a worthless CLScumbag and give you their jerbz (i.e., probs me)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:42 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:I wishjerbz wanted me... MaybeI'll get an offer one of these days. Probably not though. Oh well.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:44 pm

Guchster wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:I wish jerbz wanted me... Maybe I'll get an offer one of these days. Probably not though. Oh well.

Hang in there. We're still really early on. Isn't there that huge career fair at NYU on the 7th? I know CLS is trolling it, haha--fucking freeloaders!!! Most of my friends are just getting together their resumes and cover letters. One bitch asked me what PI STOOD FOR!!!!!!! And another friend just found out that judicial clerkships aren't covered by summer monies so she turned down the judge and got in trouble, lol. So these are the types of people you're up against (NYU 1Ls are going to be looking at us at the career fair like, 'are you bitches for real?!)

I bet you'll have a job within the next two weeks. if that doesn't work, we'll just remove a worthless CLScumbag and give you their jerbz (i.e., probs me)

But you aren't worthless. I mean, you're def a CLScumbag, but you have some value.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:46 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:But you aren't worthless. I mean, you're def a CLScumbag, but you have some value.

ilovesf wrote: :lol: I think this is the nicest thing a person has said to me without even knowing me.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:48 pm

had an interview today through OCI. not sure if the interviewer was just bored to shit from interviewing all day or I sucked, but not a ton of chemistry. normally I would say I have excellent interview skills, but it's hard to nail an interview when the person across the table comes off as entirely disinterested. I really felt like I was going through the motions of an interview but not really interviewing.

arghhhhh

I just want to lock something down so I can get back to going grey over school instead of searching for a job

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:57 pm

thegrayman wrote:had an interview today through OCI. not sure if the interviewer was just bored to shit from interviewing all day or I sucked, but not a ton of chemistry. normally I would say I have excellent interview skills, but it's hard to nail an interview when the person across the table comes off as entirely disinterested. I really felt like I was going through the motions of an interview but not really interviewing.

arghhhhh

I just want to lock something down so I can get back to going grey over school instead of searching for a job

I think I had that same interviewer today. Glad to know it wasn't just me...

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:58 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Lasers wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Applied to like 12 PI orgs for the public interest fair here and only got 1 interview. I don't really know what went wrong since my whole resume screams PI.. oh well. My interview with the judge is this evening so now that really has to go well!

good luck!

i got zero interviews for pi/ps day, though i ended up only applying to one org (DOL), so that's not really surprising. :?

Sorry :( a couple people I know didn't get any, but I also know a couple who got like 4. Are you still going to go to meet the advocates?

nah, i'm not too interested in pi work besides government.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:00 am

awesome, congrats!!! :D

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:00 am

Guchster wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:But you aren't worthless. I mean, you're def a CLScumbag, but you have some value.

ilovesf wrote: :lol: I think this is the nicest thing a person has said to me without even knowing me.

You know who's opinion you really trust.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:30 am

I personally think the rule applies to judicial internships as well UNLESS the judge specifically tells you that you have time to consider the offer, encourages you to interview with other firms or judges, etc., like in your situation. After explaining what the summer would be like, my judge said something along the lines of, "I know a judicial internship isn't right for everyone. Just take some time to consider the offer, but please let me know so I can have HR process your paperwork." To me, that sounded like I could feel free to decline if I so chose. I ended up accepting on the spot, though, because I only applied for federal judicial internships.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:26 am

Jessuf wrote:

I personally think the rule applies to judicial internships as well UNLESS the judge specifically tells you that you have time to consider the offer, encourages you to interview with other firms or judges, etc., like in your situation. After explaining what the summer would be like, my judge said something along the lines of, "I know a judicial internship isn't right for everyone. Just take some time to consider the offer, but please let me know so I can have HR process your paperwork." To me, that sounded like I could feel free to decline if I so chose. I ended up accepting on the spot, though, because I only applied for federal judicial internships.

I was in a similar spot, but I ended up accepting the offer even though the judge I will be working for gave me awhile to get back to him. I accepted much sooner though because it felt right.

Quite honestly, the interview was definitely one of my best ever and the most comfortable. Normally am nervous at interviews and was not on this one at all.

I think in this situation, you could decline and not worry about, especially because you were truthful about it too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:42 am

Hey buddies
I got an interview today with a judge from area I have absolutely no connection with.
So I have no idea what to say if he asks me why do you want to come here? (I've never even been to that state to be honest #sigh#)
Any advice?

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey buddies
I got an interview today with a judge from area I have absolutely no connection with.
So I have no idea what to say if he asks me why do you want to come here? (I've never even been to that state to be honest #sigh#)
Any advice?

Figure out why you want to go there. Then say that.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:01 pm

Lasers wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Applied to like 12 PI orgs for the public interest fair here and only got 1 interview. I don't really know what went wrong since my whole resume screams PI.. oh well. My interview with the judge is this evening so now that really has to go well!

good luck!

i got zero interviews for pi/ps day, though i ended up only applying to one org (DOL), so that's not really surprising. :?

I sent out 16 original applications and got 0, yes 0, invites. I have a strong PI background so I don't know what happened. :cry:

Over winter break I was offered an internship with a Public Defender's Office in NY. I'll take that and stop wasting precious time on trying to find a federal position here. Rochester, NY is quite nice in the summer.

(I'm still hoping a federal judicial externship will fall from the sky.)

Return to “Legal Employment”