The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Guchster

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Guchster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:00 pm

ilovesf wrote:Applied to like 12 PI orgs for the public interest fair here and only got 1 interview. I don't really know what went wrong since my whole resume screams PI.. oh well. My interview with the judge is this evening so now that really has to go well!

Congrats on the interview! I'm sure it was crazy, considering the saturated 1L PI market--I bet tons of people walked away with nothing at all.

Rock the interview, and good luck! You're going to do great, and with your grades, those chambers would be lucky to have you.

How is the rest of the job hunt going? Are you still applying to those other judicial externship with the feb. 2 date?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Guchster wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Applied to like 12 PI orgs for the public interest fair here and only got 1 interview. I don't really know what went wrong since my whole resume screams PI.. oh well. My interview with the judge is this evening so now that really has to go well!

Congrats on the interview! I'm sure it was crazy, considering the saturated 1L PI market--I bet tons of people walked away with nothing at all.

Rock the interview, and good luck! You're going to do great, and with your grades, those chambers would be lucky to have you.

How is the rest of the job hunt going? Are you still applying to those other judicial externship with the feb. 2 date?

Thanks :D I sent out a bunch of random apps last week to places like the city attorney's office and I'm going to send one out this week to CA DOJ (they only start accepting apps Feb 1) The Feb 1 date is the date that federal judges here are "supposed to" contact you for interviews, though apparently a couple do it ahead of time, so I really hope I get a couple more phone calls then!

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:27 pm

Someone posted this in our CLS group, advertised to fellow 1Ls. Am I being too sensitive by being annoyed by this...

Does CLS even need any more bad press?

CLS LazyStriver wrote:Job Posting 1/30: Personal Scribe
As we all know, it is interview season. I will be issuing handwritten thank you notes to potential employers and I would like them to look nice. Anyone interested in penning thank you cards for me please e-mail me at xxxx.harvard@gmail.com (editor's note: yes, harvard is in her email address) with an attached photo of the phrase "Dear Ms. XXXXXXX" in your best handwriting. The pay is $2 per card with a $20 bonus at the end if I secure a firm job and a $10 bonus if I secure a paid internship. I have already purchased the cards, I will provide the message, and I will do the mailing.

I need a card penned tomorrow to be mailed by the time the post office closes, so this offer expires at 12PM on 1/31/2012. Counteroffers will not be considered acceptance.

Weird?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Guchster wrote:Someone posted this in our CLS group, advertised to fellow 1Ls. Am I being too sensitive by being annoyed by this...

As we all know, it is interview season. I will be issuing handwritten thank you notes to potential employers and I would like them to look nice. Anyone interested in penning thank you cards for me please e-mail me at xxxx.harvard@gmail.com (editor's note: yes, harvard is in her email address) with an attached photo of the phrase "Dear Ms. XXXXXXX" in your best handwriting. The pay is $2 per card with a $20 bonus at the end if I secure a firm job and a $10 bonus if I secure a paid internship. I have already purchased the cards, I will provide the message, and I will do the mailing.

I need a card penned tomorrow to be mailed by the time the post office closes, so this offer expires at 12PM on 1/31/2012. Counteroffers will not be considered acceptance.

Weird?

Ostracize her now.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:49 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Guchster wrote:Someone posted this in our CLS group, advertised to fellow 1Ls. Am I being too sensitive by being annoyed by this...

Weird?

Ostracize her now. ATL that bitch.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:51 pm

bk1 wrote:Ostracize her now. ATL that bitch.

Oh yeah that's way better. Send screen caps.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:54 pm

Flips88 wrote:

LOL on my way. I'll credit you guys for sending me over.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:01 pm

Missing classes for interviews:

I know it has to be done, but I hate missing class. But, should I tell my professors why I'm going to miss class or is that insulting and should just not show up?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Missing classes for interviews:

I know it has to be done, but I hate missing class. But, should I tell my professors why I'm going to miss class or is that insulting and should just not show up?

Tell them. It legitimizes your reason for not being there. If your professors don't understand the importance of a job: fuck 'em.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Missing classes for interviews:

I e-mailed my profs and got "good luck!" in reply.

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:59 pm

Guchster wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Didn't we move to a private Facebook group specifically because the public was able to see posts? I don't think taking someone's comment from a private Facebook group and posting it verbatim on TLS or ATL is appropriate.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:15 pm

Ship87 wrote:
Guchster wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Didn't we move to a private Facebook group specifically because the public was able to see posts? I don't think taking someone's comment from a private Facebook group and posting it verbatim on TLS or ATL is appropriate.

Stop being a lil wimp. I redacted the name, so it's not like people are being outed on here. The trouble with a public facebook was poasts had the person's name attached which could be bad for employment.

And I could care less if you think it's appropriate. Advise the poaster not to write stupid shit.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:19 pm

Guchster wrote:Weird?

I think the idea is ridiculous, but I like the entrepreneurial spirit.

She might become really valuable for a firm when it comes to recruiting and retaining clients.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:22 pm

good luck!

i got zero interviews for pi/ps day, though i ended up only applying to one org (DOL), so that's not really surprising. :?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:28 pm

Ship87 wrote:
Guchster wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

also curious. do we know each other IRL?

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Ship87 wrote:
Guchster wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

It is absolutely appropriate if the post is that dumb.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:45 pm

I've got what is so far my only PI interview tomorrow. In Philadelphia. I'd really like the job but damn is it a hassle to find time to fly out.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:50 pm

Dany wrote:It is absolutely appropriate if the post is that dumb.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:52 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I've got what is so far my only PI interview tomorrow. In Philadelphia. I'd really like the job but damn is it a hassle to find time to fly out.

good luck!

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:53 pm

Lasers wrote:

good luck!

i got zero interviews for pi/ps day, though i ended up only applying to one org (DOL), so that's not really surprising. :?

Sorry :( a couple people I know didn't get any, but I also know a couple who got like 4. Are you still going to go to meet the advocates?

yale2011

Postby yale2011 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:54 pm

Last edited by yale2011 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:56 pm

Dany wrote:It is absolutely appropriate if the post is that dumb.

This. Also lol at the thought that something posted on a "private" fb.com page is actually private. If you don't want your dumbass thoughts posted on ATL or TLS, don't post your dumbass thoughts anywhere on fb.com.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:56 pm

lawl, and they say Chicago students are the socially dumbtarded ones.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:lawl, and they say Chicago students are the socially dumbtarded ones.

That's right. They definitely do. :P

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Guchster wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:lawl, and they say Chicago students are the socially dumbtarded ones.

That's right. They definitely do. :P

Incorrectly!

Return to “Legal Employment”