The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
r6_philly

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:58 pm

NYC Law wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Damn. The more I think about it, the less I want it.

Don't do it. It's still early, you will get something you want. Nothing worse than doing something you don't really want to do for the whole summer just in the name of "doing something legal".

Something worse would be having nothing for the summer. But just see how long you can push the final accept deadline and apply rapidly to things you think will be better, if you get some bites from places you think you have a shot at then turn down the place you have.

I think most people at Penn don't have jobs finalized until after spring break. I don't think it is quite take what you can get time yet.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:10 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Guchster wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
mkr5u wrote:Has anyone interviewed with a state Attorney General's office for a 1L position yet? I have an interview tomorrow, and I was curious to see what sort of questions were typically being thrown around. Thanks!

I have. The questions that got me dinged were 'Why do you want to work in the ______ office?' (I didn't actually have any interest in the field, and they could tell pretty easily), and 'What are your interests?' (I don't have anything spectacular, I play games, watch tv, and study... so yeah, stupid question IMO).

I hate that damn question!

I get it, to all you gov.'t bros, if you've been gunning for USAO/DOJ since you were a baby, but some people like me just don't have any major interests/huge inclinations for particular offices. I wish more jerbzpeople were open to letting 1L summer be about exploration and trying out different fields, so that I could answer that question more accurately as I interview for that jobfield later in life.

but I guess getting a jerbz is hard and with such few openings, and it goes to people who gun for those type of jobs.

Yeah I usually just say "I'm leaning towards doing X, but I'm still exploring what I'd ultimately like to do". But that usually isn't good enough for PI/Crim

Definitely true for me. Damn you, PI/Crim. I'm lolling cuz it's been wayyy easier for me to get big law 1L SAs than USAO. Firms are actually way more receptive to me dabbling and figuring out what I want to do than anywhere else. They haz money and know I want it, though, so maybe they aren't scared of losing me.

It's also probs cuz i'm a giant asshole and they like people like me at firms to scare away decent people.

delusional

Postby delusional » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Guchster wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
Guchster wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
I have. The questions that got me dinged were 'Why do you want to work in the ______ office?' (I didn't actually have any interest in the field, and they could tell pretty easily), and 'What are your interests?' (I don't have anything spectacular, I play games, watch tv, and study... so yeah, stupid question IMO).

I hate that damn question!

I get it, to all you gov.'t bros, if you've been gunning for USAO/DOJ since you were a baby, but some people like me just don't have any major interests/huge inclinations for particular offices. I wish more jerbzpeople were open to letting 1L summer be about exploration and trying out different fields, so that I could answer that question more accurately as I interview for that jobfield later in life.

but I guess getting a jerbz is hard and with such few openings, and it goes to people who gun for those type of jobs.

Yeah I usually just say "I'm leaning towards doing X, but I'm still exploring what I'd ultimately like to do". But that usually isn't good enough for PI/Crim

Definitely true for me. Damn you, PI/Crim. I'm lolling cuz it's been wayyy easier for me to get big law 1L SAs than USAO. Firms are actually way more receptive to me dabbling and figuring out what I want to do than anywhere else. They haz money and know I want it, though, so maybe they aren't scared of losing me.

It's also probs cuz i'm a giant asshole and they like people like me at firms to scare away decent people.

Guchster, I think I speak for all of us when I say that you need to either stop talking about your 1L SA or spread some of your employment magic around to the rest of us.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:26 pm

Accepted a 1L SA, got an offer from better firm in the same market the next day.... what should I do?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Accepted a 1L SA, got an offer from better firm in the same market the next day.... what should I do?

Really? you already accepted one. Politely decline the other one and maybe leave open that you'll look to them again for 2L

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:36 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Accepted a 1L SA, got an offer from better firm in the same market the next day.... what should I do?

Really? you already accepted one. Politely decline the other one and maybe leave open that you'll look to them again for 2L

I should have been more clear: I really want to work at this firm for a number of reasons (not just because it is a better firm). The only reason I accepted the offer from firm A is because the offer had a 24 hour life span, and I didn't want to take any chances.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Really?

I should have been more clear: I really want to work at this firm for a number of reasons (not just because it is a better firm). The only reason I accepted the offer from firm A is because the offer had a 24 hour life span, and I didn't want to take any chances.

Flips88 wrote:you already accepted one. Politely decline the other one and maybe leave open that you'll look to them again for 2L

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:40 pm

delusional wrote:Guchster, I think I speak for all of us when I say that you need to either stop talking about your 1L SA or spread some of your employment magic around to the rest of us.

Damn, am I the '1L Fall Grade Waiting Douchebags' of this thread. fuuuuuuuuuu. i apologize and i'll stop

To your latter point, I would love to spread some magic to you. all you need is SERIUS BSNS ASS-BURGERS, diss hiring partners by refusing to shake their hands with a polite 'no thank you,' and ask to wipe your ass with associates' neckties, and you're set.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Holy shit, are you thinking of reneging on your acceptance?

Bro, that's hardcore, and potentially dangerous. That firm is going to be piiiiisssssseeeeddd. After you accepted, they probably rejected everyone else, lol.

delusional

Postby delusional » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:43 pm

Guchster wrote:
delusional wrote:Guchster, I think I speak for all of us when I say that you need to either stop talking about your 1L SA or spread some of your employment magic around to the rest of us.

Damn, am I the '1L Fall Grade Waiting Douchebags' of this thread. fuuuuuuuuuu. i apologize and i'll stop

To your latter point, I would love to spread some magic to you. all you need is SERIUS BSNS ASS-BURGERS, diss hiring partners by refusing to shake their hands with a polite 'no thank you,' and ask to wipe your ass with associates' neckties, and you're set.

Yeah, well I can't even get anyone to answer emails. Oh well. Grades coming tomorrow, maybe that will help. Or just kill any remaining hope.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

I don't think we can get more clear: you CANNOT renege.

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:54 pm

Xifeng wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

I know, I was just praying someone would say its ok :|

Flash

Postby Flash » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:56 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:
Xifeng wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I should have been more clear: I really want to work at this firm for a number of reasons (not just because it is a better firm). The only reason I accepted the offer from firm A is because the offer had a 24 hour life span, and I didn't want to take any chances.

It's fine. Go for it bro.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:57 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Why were you anonymous?

anonymousfail.jpeg?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:59 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:I know, I was just praying someone would say its ok :|

It's ok. (Mostly I just want you to go on believing there is a god. If it was your 2L summer, then maybe. 1L summer, nope.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:05 am

So, I have two job offers from recognizable public interest employers, both which I would love. One is in the city where I go to school (which is convenient), while one is in NYC.

If I'm interested in doing big law either in my school city or NYC, does it make more sense to do a summer job in the school city? Shows more commitment to the city, while no one really questions commitment to NYC?

Also, should I be agonizing over this decision? As long as it's legal, 1L jobs don't matter that much, right? I feel like there is a right and wrong choice, but then I realize that's silly.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I'm interested in doing big law either in my school city or NYC, does it make more sense to do a summer job in the school city? Shows more commitment to the city, while no one really questions commitment to NYC?

If you like the jobs equally, I'd agree it makes more sense to stay in school city. A partner at a firm in my city always stresses ties/commitment, so I think your inclination is probably spot on.

And don't agonize! It's just 1L summer.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:43 pm

Non-paying PI job in another state...

y u no phone interview?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:54 pm

bk1 wrote:Non-paying PI job in another state...

y u no phone interview?

they asked you to interview in person? damn.

how about skype or something?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:00 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
bk1 wrote:Non-paying PI job in another state...

y u no phone interview?

they asked you to interview in person? damn.

how about skype or something?

I should ask, though I'm not expecting them to be receptive to it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:38 pm

which is better for biglaw/oci interviews:
working for a judge in my home market (not where I want to be after graduation) or working for a small firm practicing a type of law that i don't think i'm particularly interested in in a primary market that I may want to be in after graduation? a penny for your thoughts! :)

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:which is better for biglaw/oci interviews:
working for a judge in my home market (not where I want to be after graduation) or working for a small firm practicing a type of law that i don't think i'm particularly interested in in a primary market that I may want to be in after graduation? a penny for your thoughts! :)

Is the small firm shitlaw? If not I guess I'd do that, especially if there's any chance of working with them after graduation if OCI doesn't work out. As far as OCI they'll probably be roughly equal.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:42 pm

NYC Law wrote:

Is the small firm shitlaw? If not I guess I'd do that, especially if there's any chance of working with them after graduation if OCI doesn't work out. As far as OCI they'll probably be roughly equal.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:43 pm

Well if the market where the firm is is one that cares about ties (e.g. not NYC/DC) and your ties to that market are tenuous then it might be a good idea to solidify your ties by working there for the summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:53 pm

NYC Law wrote:

define shitlaw? it's also in nyc, where i might want to work (but am not totally sure--so hopefully this summer would help me figure that out0

Return to “Legal Employment”