The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
socraticmethodman

Bronze

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by socraticmethodman » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:37 am

2 firm offers today in my hometown (secondary market)!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:39 am

So I'm in a conundrum. I only have one offer but after discussing it with my SO I don't think I want to take it. The thing is the place wasn't like make your decision by X but more like "we would like you and based on your interested can place your here. Fill out this paper work." It isn't like I don't want the position it is just sub-optimal location and while I could also afford it, it would be a little tight. Asking for more time is less than great since most of the places that I really want make decisions in March.

My choices are:

1) Suck it up and accept the position. I don't have a problem with the position but if I could live at home or at school it would be much better.

2) Ask for as much time as I can and then accept or reject it then (knowing it probably won't be long enough)

3) Ask for as much time, accept it and keep looking (I don't need to worry about bad rap or anything)

3) Reject the position with nothing else going for me.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:52 am

Flips88 wrote:
Guchster wrote: But seriously what is linkedin and why would any lazy 1L have one?
I have one. It's basically your resume on a website. It's pretty worthless, but somehow adults think it is the paragon of social networking
Aww, I love LinkedIn! But I'm old, so maybe that's why. I'm linked with a couple recruiters on there as well as past coworkers and bosses. I definitely "linkedin" stalk people before interviews to help form some of my questions.

I see Facebook as a way to keep up with old friends and acquaintances, to show how your personal life is going (with a hint of your professional/academic life), while Linked In is the polished version of yourself you want to broadcast/advertise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:13 pm

Little bit of a dilemma

just got an offer for a judge's program, without even speaking to the judge. I called back the secretary on request from an e-mail and she explained the program to me and asked me to call back by Friday accepting or declining. would be a ~8-12 week program where I'd work for 4 different judges on rotation at different levels.

pros: landed something, in a city I'd love to be in

cons: unpaid, would have to scrap up the money from thin air, sublet a random place in the area, etc.

Still have a lot of apps. out, some paid, some I might be able to get funding through for school. So... thoughts?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Little bit of a dilemma

just got an offer for a judge's program, without even speaking to the judge. I called back the secretary on request from an e-mail and she explained the program to me and asked me to call back by Friday accepting or declining. would be a ~8-12 week program where I'd work for 4 different judges on rotation at different levels.

cons: unpaid, would have to scrap up the money from thin air, sublet a random place in the area, etc.

Still have a lot of apps. out, some paid, some I might be able to get funding through for school. So... thoughts?
This sounds like a really good program, and might be worth investing in. It's early though, so I wouldn't be too scared on taking a gamble on finding something else where you might get some funding. If you got this job so early, chances are you'll be able to find something else.

For me, it would depend on how severe of a concern money is, and whether your school will give you credit for working for a judge (in which case you get some loans that can free up some money for the summer) if your school doesn't give monies for judicial externships. Don't want to out you, but if working in NYC, apartments are somewhat of a pain in the ass to find for the summer. Even if not NYC, option would be to harass these boards to see if anyone might want to sublet their place to you (not sure mods would allow this). I may be subletting mine in NYC-- but still not sure what offer I'm taking though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:24 pm

We need to know your school's approximate ranking and have an idea of your grades before anyone can tell you whether it is a good idea to take the first opportunity that comes as opposed to taking a risk and betting on something else coming along.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:26 pm

sundance95 wrote:

We need to know your school's approximate ranking and have an idea of your grades before anyone can tell you whether it is a good idea to take the first opportunity that comes as opposed to taking a risk and betting on something else coming along.
MVPB, between 1/3 and median

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

With those stats, I'd think you have a reasonable shot to get another offer. It sounds like you like the job itself, but are concerned about costs, subletting, etc. What you have to consider is whether any offer you obtain further down the road is likely to suffer from the same drawbacks.

One thing you might want to think about; because of the rotation, you might have less of an opportunity to get close with judges, clerks, etc., which may negatively affect your ability to get a solid rec out of the summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview with a firm in my home market tomorrow. How would you classify this firm? They're under 20 attorneys, only do corporate/transaction work and pay 20k above local market for starting associates.
This is me. They called and moved the inter view up 3.5 hours on me this morning :?. But they loved me and I have another interview with them later today.:D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:12 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

With those stats, I'd think you have a reasonable shot to get another offer. It sounds like you like the job itself, but are concerned about costs, subletting, etc. What you have to consider is whether any offer you obtain further down the road is likely to suffer from the same drawbacks.

One thing you might want to think about; because of the rotation, you might have less of an opportunity to get close with judges, clerks, etc., which may negatively affect your ability to get a solid rec out of the summer.
Definitely concerned about costs etc. regardless of what I do. Honestly, if choosing between the two I think I would go PI type work for the summer over judge, but I feel like I'd be taking a huge risk to pass up a bird in the hand here.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:22 pm

AreJay711 wrote:So I'm in a conundrum. I only have one offer but after discussing it with my SO I don't think I want to take it. The thing is the place wasn't like make your decision by X but more like "we would like you and based on your interested can place your here. Fill out this paper work." It isn't like I don't want the position it is just sub-optimal location and while I could also afford it, it would be a little tight. Asking for more time is less than great since most of the places that I really want make decisions in March.

My choices are:

1) Suck it up and accept the position. I don't have a problem with the position but if I could live at home or at school it would be much better.

2) Ask for as much time as I can and then accept or reject it then (knowing it probably won't be long enough)

3) Ask for as much time, accept it and keep looking (I don't need to worry about bad rap or anything)

bump

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:24 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:So I'm in a conundrum. I only have one offer but after discussing it with my SO I don't think I want to take it. The thing is the place wasn't like make your decision by X but more like "we would like you and based on your interested can place your here. Fill out this paper work." It isn't like I don't want the position it is just sub-optimal location and while I could also afford it, it would be a little tight. Asking for more time is less than great since most of the places that I really want make decisions in March.

My choices are:

bump
Option 2. But if nothing comes up just accept and don't renege. It's only one summer and it sounds adequate.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:29 pm

NYC Law wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

My choices are:

bump
Option 2. But if nothing comes up just accept and don't renege. It's only one summer and it sounds adequate.
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:31 pm

NYC Law wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

My choices are:

bump
+ 2

mkr5u

New

Post by mkr5u » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:38 pm

Has anyone interviewed with a state Attorney General's office for a 1L position yet? I have an interview tomorrow, and I was curious to see what sort of questions were typically being thrown around. Thanks!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:13 pm

Just got my 3rd or 4th ding snail mail from a PILI place. More and more realizing what a waste it was applying to those

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:13 pm

mkr5u wrote:Has anyone interviewed with a state Attorney General's office for a 1L position yet? I have an interview tomorrow, and I was curious to see what sort of questions were typically being thrown around. Thanks!
I have. The questions that got me dinged were 'Why do you want to work in the ______ office?' (I didn't actually have any interest in the field, and they could tell pretty easily), and 'What are your interests?' (I don't have anything spectacular, I play games, watch tv, and study... so yeah, stupid question IMO).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview with a firm in my home market tomorrow. How would you classify this firm? They're under 20 attorneys, only do corporate/transaction work and pay 20k above local market for starting associates.
This is me. They called and moved the inter view up 3.5 hours on me this morning :?. But they loved me and I have another interview with them later today.:D
Congrats! How did the second interview go?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Damn. The more I think about it, the less I want it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:46 pm

Lwoods wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Congrats! How did the second interview go?
It went pretty well. It was like a Skype call back. Talked to 7 different attorneys at the firm for about an hour and a half total. They said they'd let me know in the next week or two.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:48 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Damn. The more I think about it, the less I want it.
Don't do it. It's still early, you will get something you want. Nothing worse than doing something you don't really want to do for the whole summer just in the name of "doing something legal".

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:50 pm

NYC Law wrote:
mkr5u wrote:Has anyone interviewed with a state Attorney General's office for a 1L position yet? I have an interview tomorrow, and I was curious to see what sort of questions were typically being thrown around. Thanks!
I have. The questions that got me dinged were 'Why do you want to work in the ______ office?' (I didn't actually have any interest in the field, and they could tell pretty easily), and 'What are your interests?' (I don't have anything spectacular, I play games, watch tv, and study... so yeah, stupid question IMO).
I hate that damn question!

I get it, to all you gov.'t bros, if you've been gunning for USAO/DOJ since you were a baby, but some people like me just don't have any major interests/huge inclinations for particular offices. I wish more jerbzpeople were open to letting 1L summer be about exploration and trying out different fields, so that I could answer that question more accurately as I interview for that jobfield later in life.

but I guess getting a jerbz is hard and with such few openings, and it goes to people who gun for those type of jobs.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Damn. The more I think about it, the less I want it.
Don't do it. It's still early, you will get something you want. Nothing worse than doing something you don't really want to do for the whole summer just in the name of "doing something legal".
Something worse would be having nothing for the summer. But just see how long you can push the final accept deadline and apply rapidly to things you think will be better, if you get some bites from places you think you have a shot at then turn down the place you have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:53 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Guchster wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
I hate that damn question!

I get it, to all you gov.'t bros, if you've been gunning for USAO/DOJ since you were a baby, but some people like me just don't have any major interests/huge inclinations for particular offices. I wish more jerbzpeople were open to letting 1L summer be about exploration and trying out different fields, so that I could answer that question more accurately as I interview for that jobfield later in life.

but I guess getting a jerbz is hard and with such few openings, and it goes to people who gun for those type of jobs.
Yeah I usually just say "I'm leaning towards doing X, but I'm still exploring what I'd ultimately like to do". But that usually isn't good enough for PI/Crim

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”