The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby 071816 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey just wondering if it matters where you intern for 1L summer.
Basically I know for sure I want to work at a firm in New York City after I graduate.
Would it be more helpful for later purpose that I find an internship in NYC then? or do employers not care much even if I work at, say, Hawaii DA's office (arguendo, not that I will be lol)
Any thoughts?

Geography matters. Working over the summer in a place where you ultimately want to end up after graduation, especially if it is a place different from where your school is or where you're from, is important for starting to establish those ties and show you're committed to living in that area. There are also some types of work which are more preferable then others, like a firm job or a judicial internship over being an RA.

Also, the fact that you used the bolded makes me think you suck. A snap judgment, but there it is.



Thanks for the reply though I feel compelled to ask if you are an undergraduate as indicated on your profile (sorry, I looked).
Not sure if its just me but getting an internship in NY is quite competitive...

By the way I dont understand whats so wrong about using the bolded term? lol


I hate law students.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13567
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey just wondering if it matters where you intern for 1L summer.
Basically I know for sure I want to work at a firm in New York City after I graduate.
Would it be more helpful for later purpose that I find an internship in NYC then? or do employers not care much even if I work at, say, Hawaii DA's office (arguendo, not that I will be lol)
Any thoughts?

Geography matters. Working over the summer in a place where you ultimately want to end up after graduation, especially if it is a place different from where your school is or where you're from, is important for starting to establish those ties and show you're committed to living in that area. There are also some types of work which are more preferable then others, like a firm job or a judicial internship over being an RA.

Also, the fact that you used the bolded makes me think you suck. A snap judgment, but there it is.



Thanks for the reply though I feel compelled to ask if you are an undergraduate as indicated on your profile (sorry, I looked).
Not sure if its just me but getting an internship in NY is quite competitive...

By the way I dont understand whats so wrong about using the bolded term? lol

It makes you sound like, inter alia, a huge douchecock.


Hope you see what I did there.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby 071816 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey just wondering if it matters where you intern for 1L summer.
Basically I know for sure I want to work at a firm in New York City after I graduate.
Would it be more helpful for later purpose that I find an internship in NYC then? or do employers not care much even if I work at, say, Hawaii DA's office (arguendo, not that I will be lol)
Any thoughts?

Geography matters. Working over the summer in a place where you ultimately want to end up after graduation, especially if it is a place different from where your school is or where you're from, is important for starting to establish those ties and show you're committed to living in that area. There are also some types of work which are more preferable then others, like a firm job or a judicial internship over being an RA.

Also, the fact that you used the bolded makes me think you suck. A snap judgment, but there it is.



Thanks for the reply though I feel compelled to ask if you are an undergraduate as indicated on your profile (sorry, I looked).
Not sure if its just me but getting an internship in NY is quite competitive...

By the way I dont understand whats so wrong about using the bolded term? lol

It makes you sound like, inter alia, a huge douchecock.


Hope you see what I did there.


I concur, supra.

ETA: clearly I have no idea how to use the term supra lol
Last edited by 071816 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Haymarket » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:57 pm

See Flips, supra.

Edit: Fucking scooped.

Also, I'm a 1L at Chicago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Haha had to read them few times to see what you guys meant. I see it now. :P
And honestly, you guys are funny (just dont swear please)

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby 071816 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Haha had to read them few times to see what you guys meant. I see it now. :P
And honestly, you guys are funny (just dont swear please)


Image

All right. I'm done derailing this thread.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby NYC Law » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Image

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Haymarket » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Haha had to read them few times to see what you guys meant. I see it now. :P
And honestly, you guys are funny (just dont swear please)

I suggest you avert your eyes from the majority of the internet, then.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Guchster » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:54 pm

chimp wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Haha had to read them few times to see what you guys meant. I see it now. :P
And honestly, you guys are funny (just dont swear please)


Image

All right. I'm done derailing this thread.


hardcore poast of the day! congrats to you, chimp. much respect.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby bk1 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(just dont swear please)


Oops. Sorry, mom.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Guchster » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:you guys are funny (just dont swear please)



Image

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:44 pm

Heard from other postings that if you get an offer from a judge you have to accept and retreat from all your other applications/later offers. Is this true?
I'm a bit worried because what if I get an offer from a judge and a month later an offer from another paid position? I think then I would want the paid job... but then for now that is all uncertain so I would clearly still accept the first offer...
I would appreciate any advice. Thanks guys.

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Haymarket » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Heard from other postings that if you get an offer from a judge you have to accept and retreat from all your other applications/later offers. Is this true?
I'm a bit worried because what if I get an offer from a judge and a month later an offer from another paid position? I think then I would want the paid job... but then for now that is all uncertain so I would clearly still accept the first offer...
I would appreciate any advice. Thanks guys.

You are the first person ever to get a job offer that isn't their number one choice and be uncertain about whether they should wait for something better. Did you never consider the possibility that this might happen?

But yes, the common wisdom is that turning down a judge is a big no no, and something you likely were/should have been aware of when you applied or interviewed. Not knowing anything about where you are in the different interviewing processes for other paid jobs, and given the fact that saying no is frowned upon, I'd take the job.

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Entchen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:19 am

Well, finally got some judicial internship cover letters ready. They'll go out the door tomorrow. I suspect the judges I'm applying to don't get huge numbers of applications (it's a really minor market), so hopefully it won't be too late. Guess we'll see!

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby NYC Law » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:06 pm

Looks like I have a Federal Judicial Internship. It'll be split between District/BK/Mag judges

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:08 pm

NYC Law wrote:Looks like I have a Federal Judicial Internship. It'll be split between District/BK/Mag judges


Awesome, congrats! I need to get an offer soon :mrgreen:

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Lwoods » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:16 pm

NYC Law wrote:Looks like I have a Federal Judicial Internship. It'll be split between District/BK/Mag judges


Congrats! Split 4 weeks with each or some other arrangement?

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby NYC Law » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:17 pm

Lwoods wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Looks like I have a Federal Judicial Internship. It'll be split between District/BK/Mag judges


Congrats! Split 4 weeks with each or some other arrangement?


I don't want to go into too many details just in case, but yes, something like that.

kraken
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:26 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby kraken » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:26 pm

I know I have a position Interning in the SDNY (dont know how long yet), and i think i have a decent shot at getting a job through a contact at a big law firm in the city. I dont have full details on that yet, but im hoping i can do a split summer between the two.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:02 pm

I was invited for a callback interview at a midsize firm and e-mailed them over the weekend to schedule the interview. Unfortunately, I didn't get a response till Monday when they clarified that they do not interview on the weekends and asked me what weekdays I would be available. I responded 5 minutes later with three days that were available. I haven't gotten a response all day. Should I call to schedule? or is that too pushy? Maybe they are checking with the schedules of the interviewing attorneys? It is supposed to last 4 hours - so I'm probably going to meet with many.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was invited for a callback interview at a midsize firm and e-mailed them over the weekend to schedule the interview. Unfortunately, I didn't get a response till Monday when they clarified that they do not interview on the weekends and asked me what weekdays I would be available. I responded 5 minutes later with three days that were available. I haven't gotten a response all day. Should I call to schedule? or is that too pushy? Maybe they are checking with the schedules of the interviewing attorneys? It is supposed to last 4 hours - so I'm probably going to meet with many.


Why didn't you call? Scheduling interviews over the phone is 100x easier than over e-mail.

meg5096
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:52 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby meg5096 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was invited for a callback interview at a midsize firm and e-mailed them over the weekend to schedule the interview. Unfortunately, I didn't get a response till Monday when they clarified that they do not interview on the weekends and asked me what weekdays I would be available. I responded 5 minutes later with three days that were available. I haven't gotten a response all day. Should I call to schedule? or is that too pushy? Maybe they are checking with the schedules of the interviewing attorneys? It is supposed to last 4 hours - so I'm probably going to meet with many.


Breathe. Breathe. They'll get back to you. Also, did you really try to schedule an interview for a weekend?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:16 pm

bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was invited for a callback interview at a midsize firm and e-mailed them over the weekend to schedule the interview. Unfortunately, I didn't get a response till Monday when they clarified that they do not interview on the weekends and asked me what weekdays I would be available. I responded 5 minutes later with three days that were available. I haven't gotten a response all day. Should I call to schedule? or is that too pushy? Maybe they are checking with the schedules of the interviewing attorneys? It is supposed to last 4 hours - so I'm probably going to meet with many.


Why didn't you call? Scheduling interviews over the phone is 100x easier than over e-mail.


I got the e-mail on Friday, but I was at my internship until 5 and wasn't sure of my schedule. Called on Saturday, but the recruiting manager was not available over the weekend. I didn't want to leave three days without hearing from me. :/

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13567
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was invited for a callback interview at a midsize firm and e-mailed them over the weekend to schedule the interview. Unfortunately, I didn't get a response till Monday when they clarified that they do not interview on the weekends and asked me what weekdays I would be available. I responded 5 minutes later with three days that were available. I haven't gotten a response all day. Should I call to schedule? or is that too pushy? Maybe they are checking with the schedules of the interviewing attorneys? It is supposed to last 4 hours - so I'm probably going to meet with many.


Why didn't you call? Scheduling interviews over the phone is 100x easier than over e-mail.


I got the e-mail on Friday, but I was at my internship until 5 and wasn't sure of my schedule. Called on Saturday, but the recruiting manager was not available over the weekend. I didn't want to leave three days without hearing from me. :/

You seem clingy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273202
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:04 pm

So I guess I won't call her. I suppose she could always call me if there is a problem. I know I'm clingy; I'm just trying to hide that from the recruiting manager.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.