The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:56 pm

Lwoods wrote:
Or it could just be your killer resume. ;)



Haha, as much as I hope my resume is killer, it's a lottery system. Either I am lucky, I bid well, or everyone already has jobs.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13659
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Got a Fed Dist. Judge interview request. Any tips for these?

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Haymarket » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:52 pm

I emailed the Chicago firm my grades and told them about my two week deadline. I also slipped in that working there is my number one choice. Hopefully they get back to me soon with a decision.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:58 pm

Haymarket wrote: I also slipped in that working there is my number one choice.


bet they've never heard that one before haha I said that to an associate one time during an interview (being honest at the time) and he started laughing

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13659
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Haymarket wrote: I also slipped in that working there is my number one choice.


bet they've never heard that one before haha I said that to an associate one time during an interview (being honest at the time) and he started laughing

Sweet use of the anon feature

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Haymarket » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:03 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Haymarket wrote: I also slipped in that working there is my number one choice.


bet they've never heard that one before haha I said that to an associate one time during an interview (being honest at the time) and he started laughing

Sweet use of the anon feature

This.

I clearly expect that to be a huge weight in my favor and the spur for them to give me the job. :|

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Just got all my grades in... top ~15% at MVP - any point in applying for firm jobs at this point, or has that ship already sailed?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:09 pm

Just sent my grades off to my #1 firm as well.

Anonymous User wrote:
Haymarket wrote: I also slipped in that working there is my number one choice.


bet they've never heard that one before haha I said that to an associate one time during an interview (being honest at the time) and he started laughing

Did this really need to be anonymous?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Haymarket wrote: I also slipped in that working there is my number one choice.


bet they've never heard that one before haha I said that to an associate one time during an interview (being honest at the time) and he started laughing

Sweet use of the anon feature

This.

I clearly expect that to be a huge weight in my favor and the spur for them to give me the job. :|


Doubt you'll hear back before next Friday since they told me they are doing cb interviews up until that point. However, if you do get the job before then I will know that they have written me off before interviewing me.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:13 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Just sent my grades off to my #1 firm as well.

Anonymous User wrote:
Haymarket wrote: I also slipped in that working there is my number one choice.


bet they've never heard that one before haha I said that to an associate one time during an interview (being honest at the time) and he started laughing

Did this really need to be anonymous?


Don't see why everyone is saying that's anon abuse, looks like perfect use of the anon feature. It's a specific interview occurrence, which the interviewing associate would recognize if he/she happened to come across that post (as unlikely as that may be).

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Haymarket » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:20 pm

bdubs wrote:
Haymarket wrote:This.

I clearly expect that to be a huge weight in my favor and the spur for them to give me the job. :|


Doubt you'll hear back before next Friday since they told me they are doing cb interviews up until that point. However, if you do get the job before then I will know that they have written me off before interviewing me.

Did we confirm that it's the same place? Maybe I don't remember this or was just too lawtistic to pick up on it. Regardless, good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:26 pm

MVPB---botton 33 percent, any point in sending in grades to the firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:MVPB---botton 33 percent, any point in sending in grades to the firms?


Career services is probably going to be a better resource than anyone ITT since you are dealing with fellow 1L's. I'm in pretty much the same boat grades wise in that school tier and don't plan on sending out anything to the two firms that have responded to me with "submit grades when available to complete your application." Part of it is not wanting to soil my name with those firms in case I can improve next semester, but an even bigger part is that I'm gunning to try to land something with a PD office this summer so I have that as a potential option in case I can't land biglaw (actually I'm kind of interested in it anyways).

That said, if by chance you've interviewed with a firm (which I'm guessing you haven't based on the post), I imagine you'd want to send your grades in so they don't think you blew them off. But as I alluded to earlier, career services is probably a better resource than the 1L's ITT.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:01 pm

I asked Career Services if I should apply to firms and if they know which ones are most likely, the response was "Um... It's VERY rare. You can try Spring OCI and the Public Interest Fair".

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:MVPB---botton 33 percent, any point in sending in grades to the firms?


Career services is probably going to be a better resource than anyone ITT since you are dealing with fellow 1L's. I'm in pretty much the same boat grades wise in that school tier and don't plan on sending out anything to the two firms that have responded to me with "submit grades when available to complete your application." Part of it is not wanting to soil my name with those firms in case I can improve next semester, but an even bigger part is that I'm gunning to try to land something with a PD office this summer so I have that as a potential option in case I can't land biglaw (actually I'm kind of interested in it anyways).

That said, if by chance you've interviewed with a firm (which I'm guessing you haven't based on the post), I imagine you'd want to send your grades in so they don't think you blew them off. But as I alluded to earlier, career services is probably a better resource than the 1L's ITT.


OP I did interview with 2 before I got the grades---I will ask them about that. Thanks and sorry for the percentage but hey this is only one semester

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13659
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:07 pm

NYC Law wrote:I asked Career Services if I should apply to firms and if they know which ones are most likely, the response was "Um... It's VERY rare. You can try Spring OCI and the Public Interest Fair".

It is relatively rare across all schools. I think our CSO stat is like 8% of 1Ls last year worked at firms for the summer and that's primarily URMs doing diversity SAs

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:08 pm

Flips88 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:I asked Career Services if I should apply to firms and if they know which ones are most likely, the response was "Um... It's VERY rare. You can try Spring OCI and the Public Interest Fair".

It is relatively rare across all schools. I think our CSO stat is like 8% of 1Ls last year worked at firms for the summer and that's primarily URMs doing diversity SAs


Yeah figured. I think reality gets skewed a little with how much success people ITT have been having with firms.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby 071816 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:16 pm

NYC Law wrote:I asked Career Services if I should apply to firms and if they know which ones are most likely, the response was "Um... It's VERY rare. You can try Spring OCI and the Public Interest Fair".


Same here. I think only around 10% of 1Ls at my school get firm gigs for their 1L summer. Even at a school like Northwestern the percentage of 1Ls at firms is less than 20%. Most of these likely come from personal connections, diversity positions, some special scholarship/fellowship, etc. The vast majority of 1Ls don't get these positions.
Last edited by 071816 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP I did interview with 2 before I got the grades---I will ask them about that. Thanks and sorry for the percentage but hey this is only one semester


The firms I went on interviews with didn't really express any interests in my grades. If they did not ask you, you probably won't have to update. Chances are they will ask you before giving you a decision, but if the grades are bad maybe you shouldn't volunteer it since it adds nothing for you.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:19 pm

chimp wrote:
NYC Law wrote:I asked Career Services if I should apply to firms and if they know which ones are most likely, the response was "Um... It's VERY rare. You can try Spring OCI and the Public Interest Fair".


Same here. I think only around 10% of 1Ls at my school get firm gigs for their 1L summer. Even at a school like Northwestern the percentage of 1Ls at firms is less than 20%. Most of these likely come from personal connections, diversity positions, some special scholarship/fellowship, etc. The vast majority of 1Ls don't get these positions.


From what I see so far this year. Diversity, IP, secondary home markets are the vast majority.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby 071816 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:
chimp wrote:
NYC Law wrote:I asked Career Services if I should apply to firms and if they know which ones are most likely, the response was "Um... It's VERY rare. You can try Spring OCI and the Public Interest Fair".


Same here. I think only around 10% of 1Ls at my school get firm gigs for their 1L summer. Even at a school like Northwestern the percentage of 1Ls at firms is less than 20%. Most of these likely come from personal connections, diversity positions, some special scholarship/fellowship, etc. The vast majority of 1Ls don't get these positions.


From what I see so far this year. Diversity, IP, secondary home markets are the vast majority.


Yea I forgot IP and secondary market folks. Good point.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:25 pm

NYC Law wrote:Yeah figured. I think reality gets skewed a little with how much success people ITT have been having with firms.


I thought we only had a handful of interviews and not too many offers?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Yeah figured. I think reality gets skewed a little with how much success people ITT have been having with firms.


I thought we only had a handful of interviews and not too many offers?


That still seems unrepresentative (which makes sense since people ITT are employment gunners).
Last edited by bk1 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13659
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:27 pm

chimp wrote:
NYC Law wrote:I asked Career Services if I should apply to firms and if they know which ones are most likely, the response was "Um... It's VERY rare. You can try Spring OCI and the Public Interest Fair".

Even at a school like Northwestern the percentage of 1Ls at firms is less than 20%.

Flips88 wrote:I think our CSO stat is like 18% of 1Ls last year worked at firms for the summer and that's primarily URMs doing diversity SAs


ETA: and looking at the info maybe half of that 18% are Chicago firms. The others are secondary markets or international.
Last edited by Flips88 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:27 pm

bk1 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Yeah figured. I think reality gets skewed a little with how much success people ITT have been having with firms.


I thought we only had a handful of interviews and not too many offers?


That still seems unrepresentative (which makes sense since people ITT are employment gunners).


That's what I mean, I didn't think there has been a lot of success so far yet.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.