The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
booboo

Silver

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by booboo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:02 am

Xifeng wrote:
Dany wrote:I will respond to this argument if I want to, BILS.

I'm going to give you blunt friendship-feedback soon.
I get a bi-weekly report on the status of our friendship.
Chicago scares me.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:05 am

NYC Law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got a rejection from South Brooklyn Legal Services. This seemed unnecessarily harsh to me.
I have circulated your materials among the supervisors in this office who do the interviews for summer jobs. None expressed an interest in interviewing you. I'm pretty sure that this is because there is no visible public interest connection in your materials, either in the form of experience or an expression of strong enthusiasm for the work. You might want to take this into account in your future efforts. Good luck.
I worked in government for three years, fund-raised full time for two different charities, and tutored high school students. Just an FYI for anyone else who may be interested in what it apparently takes to get a job there.
Is that real? holy shit. They don't play around in Brooklyn.
Omg!!!!!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:29 am

Edit: screw it, I was being paranoid.

It looks like my summer job decision might come down to which side of SOPA I want to be on...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:27 am

piccolittle wrote:Edit: screw it, I was being paranoid.

It looks like my summer job decision might come down to which side of SOPA I want to be on...
I assume they want you to be pro. Go with it, I'm tired of websites like reddit thinking that cutting off my access to overdone memes for a day should affect my political views.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:30 am

Dany wrote:Oh come on. If you get a letter from one guy, you're going to say "that guy's an asshole" and not think about it again. If he tells you NO ONE in an office thought your materials warranted an interview, it's at least good notice that for that kind of PI, a connection didn't come across to any of the people who read it. Is it blunt? Yes. Is it valuable feedback? Sure is. If you don't like it, throw the letter in the trash. If you want constructive criticism, take it to heart. People are too sensitive these days.
I agree. I think this is a great opportunity for him to review his resume and see how he can better feature his public interest experience. This feedback could help in the long-run. And I agree with r6 that "not nice" /= "jerk."

As in you have a choice between two jobs on opposing sides or that your offer with the IP group (congrats, btw!) is contingent on your [support?] for SOPA/PIPA?
If it's the latter, and you're truly opposed to SOPA/PIPA, maybe address the concerns that you have with the bills. Have you heard about the OPEN Act? It's another anti-Piracy bill that seeks to protect intellectual property without the crazy censorship.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:49 am

Lwoods wrote:
As in you have a choice between two jobs on opposing sides or that your offer with the IP group (congrats, btw!) is contingent on your [support?] for SOPA/PIPA?
If it's the latter, and you're truly opposed to SOPA/PIPA, maybe address the concerns that you have with the bills. Have you heard about the OPEN Act? It's another anti-Piracy bill that seeks to protect intellectual property without the crazy censorship.
Or you could view this as an opportunity to practice supporting things you disagree with, like you will every day as a lawyer.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a rejection from South Brooklyn Legal Services. This seemed unnecessarily harsh to me.
I have circulated your materials among the supervisors in this office who do the interviews for summer jobs. None expressed an interest in interviewing you. I'm pretty sure that this is because there is no visible public interest connection in your materials, either in the form of experience or an expression of strong enthusiasm for the work. You might want to take this into account in your future efforts. Good luck.
I worked in government for three years, fund-raised full time for two different charities, and tutored high school students. Just an FYI for anyone else who may be interested in what it apparently takes to get a job there.
That is nuts.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
Or you could view this as an opportunity to practice supporting things you disagree with, like you will every day as a lawyer.
I'm actually getting ahead of myself, I only have the one offer at the moment but my other major option (which I will hear back from on Monday) is a corporation that sits on the other side of the SOPA issue. SOPA would pretty much destroy my old company (tech).

Unfortunately, their office is also in California, where I have few connections. Probably going to out myself in a few days with a choices thread if I get lucky enough to have another option. Otherwise, I will be happily lobbying against SOPA this summer if the issue stretches on that long.

thesteelers

Bronze

Post by thesteelers » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:04 pm

three rejections today! This follows in the grand tradition of my 1L summer job search. Life is good.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:02 pm

thesteelers wrote:three rejections today! This follows in the grand tradition of my 1L summer job search. Life is good.
Hang in there! Keep firing apps till someone gives you jerbs! You can do it.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:05 pm

I hope sometime in April, when most of us are starting to finalize our summer plans, we can memorialize our victories on a mega thread that will be the TLS equivalent of getting drunk together.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:09 pm

thesteelers wrote:three rejections today! This follows in the grand tradition of my 1L summer job search. Life is good.
At least you got an early start and something will soon come through! We started classes again on Tuesday and after talking to my classmates, it seems like a number of them hadn't even started looking until now.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:14 pm

Got a rejection from my one pending interview. Going into panic mode. And I sent out the wrong grade sheet to a couple employers (a friend told me to use that grade sheet for OCI, so I just did that instead of a PDF of my transcript).

Not the best day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:21 pm

NYC Law wrote:Got a rejection from my one pending interview. Going into panic mode. And I sent out the wrong grade sheet to a couple employers (a friend told me to use that grade sheet for OCI, so I just did that instead of a PDF of my transcript).

Not the best day.
It sounds like most people get there 1L summer jobs from March-April so there's plenty of time before you should start to panic. I also wouldn't sweat the grade sheet situation. I was lazy and sent a version of my shitty transcript printed in html website format (with the link as the heading and footer!!!), and got an interview with the place I did this for.

I think once people see your newly complete set of grades, things are going to turn around--they're great!

Also, don't worry about the cold call thing. It's the beginning of the semester. Plenty of time to kick ass in that class, and use the office hours that you are probably already planning on using.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:39 pm

Got an offer today from a pretty prominent PI org. Also have an offer from a fed. govt. agency and had an interview with a fed. district court magistrate judge that went fairly well today. I went from having no options to having multiple options in a week. Don't give up folks.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:51 pm

PSA: while it may seem like the world is caving in around you, it is, to the best of my knowledge, still only January. Many students don't find work until much later in the semester.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Yeah, I love TLS, but it makes me have an "is this real life" moment every time I talk to my friends about jobs and they're like "yeah, I should start sending applications out soon...".

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:56 pm

yall that are getting rejections this early, what kind of stuff were you applying to?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:00 am

beachbum wrote:PSA: while it may seem like the world is caving in around you, it is, to the best of my knowledge, still only January. Many students don't find work until much later in the semester.
It's already taken too long for my taste.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:01 am

chimp wrote:Got an offer today from a pretty prominent PI org. Also have an offer from a fed. govt. agency and had an interview with a fed. district court magistrate judge that went fairly well today. I went from having no options to having multiple options in a week. Don't give up folks.
That is crazy. I still don't even have a confirmation from the DOJ division I applied to. I just got an interview request from a PI firm after 3 weeks or so of radio silence. OCI is next week and week after. Have a firm callback next week too. Employers are all over the map when it comes to this stuff. WTF

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:02 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:yall that are getting rejections this early, what kind of stuff were you applying to?
I have a bunch of letters with nice firm letterheads. Expecting a lot more very soon.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:02 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:yall that are getting rejections this early, what kind of stuff were you applying to?
firms

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:03 am

r6_philly wrote:
I have a bunch of letters with nice firm letterheads. Expecting a lot more very soon.
see, that's your problem. just apply to a bunch of shittier stuff and you won't get nearly as many rejections

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:04 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
see, that's your problem. just apply to a bunch of shittier stuff and you won't get nearly as many rejections
I received 0 interviews from our public interest fair. They are auto rejecting. lol

I wouldn't mind the rejections so much if my promising leads are not moving so slowly.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:44 am

r6_philly wrote:
So much of this. Some federal judges are kind enough to send letters as well. Because I've had several long job searches prior to law school, I actually like getting the rejection letters, as opposed to the total silence I'd became accustomed to.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”