The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ofta3184

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Ofta3184 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:08 am

piccolittle wrote:Welp, that was my last scheduled interview today. Think it went okay, so fingers crossed. Now waiting for the two-week deadline to finally give up on this firm, while eyeing my books that I should be reading for the first day of class tomorrow...

I'm completely in denial that we start all this crap over again - freedom was nice.

Also, what should my game plan be now that I don't have any more interviews lined up and I've applied literally everywhere I can possibly think of (70+ apps)? Kind of lost and naively hopeful while I wait for the results of these interviews.

wait, firms have much longer than 2-weeks to notify you of an offer. They can wait until mid-April. I think the 2 weeks deadline is how long you have before you have to accept/decline THEIR offer

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:10 am

Flips88 wrote:I just want a jerb, preferably one I don't have to go into more debt to work.

+1 - I am trying to get out more applications this week. I am having a really hard time with this concept of non-tailored cover letters though and it's slowing me down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:16 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:23 am

Ofta3184 wrote:
piccolittle wrote:Now waiting for the two-week deadline to finally give up on this firm, while eyeing my books that I should be reading for the first day of class tomorrow...

wait, firms have much longer than 2-weeks to notify you of an offer. They can wait until mid-April. I think the 2 weeks deadline is how long you have before you have to accept/decline THEIR offer

Sorry, yeah that wasn't clear - they said they "usually get back to people in about two weeks," so I'm figuring that if they actually liked me they would have made an offer by now, and that the bad news letter's in the mail.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:53 am

Flips88 wrote:Also dropping Chicago Fed District judge letters in the mail this week and applying to some of Northwestern's clinics. I got one ding snail mail from a PILI place I applied that said they had filled everything already. Interviewed at 2 places last week and they said I'd hear over the next couple weeks.

I just want a jerb, preferably one I don't have to go into more debt to work.

I also got a snail-mail ding this week from a PILI place. Wonder if it's the same one!

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:58 am

Xifeng wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Also dropping Chicago Fed District judge letters in the mail this week and applying to some of Northwestern's clinics. I got one ding snail mail from a PILI place I applied that said they had filled everything already. Interviewed at 2 places last week and they said I'd hear over the next couple weeks.

I also got a snail-mail ding this week from a PILI place. Wonder if it's the same one!

Business People for the Public Interest or something like that.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:04 am

Flips88 wrote:
Xifeng wrote:

Business People for the Public Interest or something like that.

Yup!

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:45 pm

So... if there was any question about whether it's still worthwhile to apply to large firms: I sent out a bunch of apps over the weekend, and of the 3 responses I've received so far, 2 are still hiring 1Ls and have expressed some interest. Of course, they won't fully consider my app until I have grades, so that kinda sucks... but yeah, still hope out there.

Edit: Secondary market.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:47 pm

beachbum wrote:So... if there was any question about whether it's still worthwhile to apply to large firms: I sent out a bunch of apps over the weekend, and of the 3 responses I've received so far, 2 are still hiring 1Ls and have expressed some interest. Of course, they won't fully consider my app until I have grades, so that kinda sucks... but yeah, still hope out there.

Thanks, good to know. I'll keep that in mind in case I get my crim grade any time this millennium.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:48 pm

NYC Law wrote:
beachbum wrote:So... if there was any question about whether it's still worthwhile to apply to large firms: I sent out a bunch of apps over the weekend, and of the 3 responses I've received so far, 2 are still hiring 1Ls and have expressed some interest. Of course, they won't fully consider my app until I have grades, so that kinda sucks... but yeah, still hope out there.

Thanks, good to know. I'll keep that in mind in case I get my crim grade any time this millennium.

Keep it all in perspective. I have no grades.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:56 pm

in other news, just had a firm interview. it went extremely well but ultimately i can't escape the feeling that a pulse was all they were looking for and they'll make a decision when i send my grades over

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:25 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:in other news, just had a firm interview. it went extremely well but ultimately i can't escape the feeling that a pulse was all they were looking for and they'll make a decision when i send my grades over

That's funny. What kind of firm? Would you work there?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:in other news, just had a firm interview. it went extremely well but ultimately i can't escape the feeling that a pulse was all they were looking for and they'll make a decision when i send my grades over

It's a V100 in a secondary. I would die to work there. Praying my grades will be alright. How's your stuff going?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:56 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

It's a V100 in a secondary. I would die to work there. Praying my grades will be alright. How's your stuff going?

That would be ironic because you wouldn't have a pulse anymore :lol: I hope you get it!

I had a callback with a V50 and 2 with top boutiques this week. Hopefully something materialize soon because I am about ready to move on to doing something else. No one asked about grades which really comforts me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:03 pm

How much can being a minority with several years of director-level work experience make up for terrible grades in finding a job this summer and during 2L summer? I'm at a T10.

I totally bombed my exams, but I've learned where my mistakes were so I won't repeat them this semester. My GPA is currently sub 3.0, but if I do really well this semester I could pull it up to median.

I'm not really sure where to go from here in terms of finding a job. I've gotten several grade requests, but I'm concerned once they see my transcript they'll run away screaming, lol!

As far as dropping out, I won't have any debt when I'm finished, so I'm not considering that. Besides, I love law school. There's nothing else I'd rather be doing right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:54 pm

What are people's grades who are receiving offers from secondary market firms? I've had interviews which went well and have connections to the firm/area; however, I just sent out my slightly above median T-25 grades, and am worried this will ruin any chance I had.

Postby 071816 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:50 pm

I have an awkward situation on my hands. I had an interview with a fed. govt. org. last Friday and after sending a thank you email to the head attorney that interviewed me, he replied that he is "looking forward to working with me." I have no idea if he is under the impression that I definitely want the job, but I am more interested in other opportunities for which I haven't received word back yet (and probably won't for some time). At the end of the interview he told me that there was a background check and asked me if I was interested in the position. I said that I was still interested. I'm wondering if he interpreted that as me accepting an offer contingent on a background check. The whole process was pretty informal so I have no idea where I stand. What should I do about this if it turns out that I ultimately don't want the job? What's the etiquette? Should I talk to my CSO? Any info would be appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:11 pm

Just offered with solid boutique in my hometown (TTT market) or a market that many people would not want. 1L with median type grades at a T30, 1K per week for 12 weeks. I'm happy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:12 pm

chimp wrote:I have an awkward situation on my hands. I had an interview with a fed. govt. org. last Friday and after sending a thank you email to the head attorney that interviewed me, he replied that he is "looking forward to working with me." I have no idea if he is under the impression that I definitely want the job, but I am more interested in other opportunities for which I haven't received word back yet (and probably won't for some time). At the end of the interview he told me that there was a background check and asked me if I was interested in the position. I said that I was still interested. I'm wondering if he interpreted that as me accepting an offer contingent on a background check. The whole process was pretty informal so I have no idea where I stand. What should I do about this if it turns out that I ultimately don't want the job? What's the etiquette? Should I talk to my CSO? Any info would be appreciated.

Just curious... where did you interview? I applied to a bunch of fed govt agencies/offices....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just offered with solid boutique in my hometown (TTT market) or a market that many people would not want. 1L with median type grades at a T30, 1K per week for 12 weeks. I'm happy.
12k for a Summer congrats, must be quite good at networking, I only though 12k/summer jobs were for T14 students not median T30, kinda negates a lot of the info in this thread, perhaps other factors like personality and fit actually matter.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just offered with solid boutique in my hometown (TTT market) or a market that many people would not want. 1L with median type grades at a T30, 1K per week for 12 weeks. I'm happy.
12k for a Summer congrats, must be quite good at networking, I only though 12k/summer jobs were for T14 students not median T30, kinda negates a lot of the info in this thread, perhaps other factors like personality and fit actually matter.

i think the market is a huge factor. different market, totally different expectations.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Offer today! Sent out my application on Dec 1 to a contact at my old company, and after over a month with not even a response, got invited to join their IP group for the summer! YAAAAAY! Still not sure if I'm going to take it though...

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:28 pm

chimp wrote:I have an awkward situation on my hands. I had an interview with a fed. govt. org. last Friday and after sending a thank you email to the head attorney that interviewed me, he replied that he is "looking forward to working with me." I have no idea if he is under the impression that I definitely want the job, but I am more interested in other opportunities for which I haven't received word back yet (and probably won't for some time). At the end of the interview he told me that there was a background check and asked me if I was interested in the position. I said that I was still interested. I'm wondering if he interpreted that as me accepting an offer contingent on a background check. The whole process was pretty informal so I have no idea where I stand. What should I do about this if it turns out that I ultimately don't want the job? What's the etiquette? Should I talk to my CSO? Any info would be appreciated.

Also, definitely talk to your CSO. They should be able to give you some advice on how to tactfully handle this.

booboo

Postby booboo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:57 pm

piccolittle wrote:Offer today! Sent out my application on Dec 1 to a contact at my old company, and after over a month with not even a response, got invited to join their IP group for the summer! YAAAAAY! Still not sure if I'm going to take it though...

<--- Genuinely happy, I hated seeing your concern in this thread. Hopefully a sign for better things in the future!

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:59 pm

piccolittle wrote:Offer today! Sent out my application on Dec 1 to a contact at my old company, and after over a month with not even a response, got invited to join their IP group for the summer! YAAAAAY! Still not sure if I'm going to take it though...

OMG YAY!!! :mrgreen: 8)

Congrats! You deserve it! And even though you might not take it, at least you have something awesome to fall back on.

Return to “Legal Employment”