The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AreJay711

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:33 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:So it is obviously still early in the cycle but do you think I should keep pumping out apps? I've applied to just about everything that I actually want -- minus some Fed ct judges that made it clear they want grades -- and most decisions aren't made until Feb / March. BUT I still don't have anything.

2L here. keep firing until you have an offer. this goes for 2L jobs too

Thanks. Any use in applying to smaller local firms if I went to law school in a different region? I imagine it would be hard to explain why I went away even though I actually do want to return to the area.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:09 am

Guchster wrote:Just got a V100 firm offer!!!!!!

Grueling set of interviews these last two weeks + combined with less than stellar grades had me doubting my chances for a while. But this is great news!

Any feedback on the way I should tactfully inform the other places I interviewed at that I need an offer within the next two weeks? I lack that skill on a virtual platform (okay, I probably lack it in real life too), in case my behavior on this forum was any indication of such.

OMG CONGRATS!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Just saw this, sorry so late!

That is amazing!!! Any chance you might be able to PM me the market? I had an interview in a secondary market and I'm wondering if it's the same firm...

Also, just wondering, about how long after your last interview did you get your offer?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:49 am

piccolittle wrote:
Guchster wrote:Just got a V100 firm offer!!!!!!

Grueling set of interviews these last two weeks + combined with less than stellar grades had me doubting my chances for a while. But this is great news!

Any feedback on the way I should tactfully inform the other places I interviewed at that I need an offer within the next two weeks? I lack that skill on a virtual platform (okay, I probably lack it in real life too), in case my behavior on this forum was any indication of such.

OMG CONGRATS!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Just saw this, sorry so late!

That is amazing!!! Any chance you might be able to PM me the market? I had an interview in a secondary market and I'm wondering if it's the same firm...

Also, just wondering, about how long after your last interview did you get your offer?

THANK YOU! And will PM you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:27 am

does anyone know if/when biglaw firms do employment history checks after 1L SA offers?

(my reasoning for inquiring is not sketchy, I promise :) )

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:57 pm

Has anyone gone through the school for a Federal Judicial Internship? I'm top 1 or 2% after first semester and a professor contacted me to come by for an interview for a Federal Judicial Internship. I think he is our contact with all the judges and provides recommendations. Not really sure what to expect. I'm assuming I should wear a suit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Let's say I have an offer at a personal injury firm this summer, would that hurt if I wanted to do something else next summer? Like do corporate work next summer? It would be very difficult to say no to a paid summer clerkship.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Let's say I have an offer at a personal injury firm this summer, would that hurt if I wanted to do something else next summer? Like do corporate work next summer? It would be very difficult to say no to a paid summer clerkship.

No. It's better than working unpaid at the DA or for a lot of judges. With the personal injury firm you'll get a firm experience and prob do some real work. A lot of DAs and judges just make you observe proceedings.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gone through the school for a Federal Judicial Internship? I'm top 1 or 2% after first semester and a professor contacted me to come by for an interview for a Federal Judicial Internship. I think he is our contact with all the judges and provides recommendations. Not really sure what to expect. I'm assuming I should wear a suit.

if he told you you were going to an interview, wear a suit and be prepared for an interview

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:00 pm

ran12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Let's say I have an offer at a personal injury firm this summer, would that hurt if I wanted to do something else next summer? Like do corporate work next summer? It would be very difficult to say no to a paid summer clerkship.

No. It's better than working unpaid at the DA or for a lot of judges. With the personal injury firm you'll get a firm experience and prob do some real work. A lot of DAs and judges just make you observe proceedings.

What are you basing this on?

I could definitely see how a paid legal gig would be preferable to an unpaid legal gig because, well, money is nice. Also, a 1L SA position would be the most ideal because it's even more money and could lead to a full time offer.

However, in terms of prestige and experience, the impression I've gotten from attorney friends is that working for a [federal] judge is toward the top and certainly above small law. You could look into doing both, though, so you could get the best from both. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a split if you could intern with a judge one day week and work at the firm 4 days a week or something.

Regardless, I doubt doing PI 1L summer will hurt you if you're interested in corporate work for 2L. You just want to make sure your resume doesn't scream PERSONAL INJURY otherwise. If all of your interests and activities all point toward one narrow legal field, you can pigeonhole yourself. I highly doubt one job would do that, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:04 pm

Lwoods wrote:
ran12 wrote:

No. It's better than working unpaid at the DA or [b]for a lot of judges[/b]. With the personal injury firm you'll get a firm experience and prob do some real work. A lot of DAs and judges just make you observe proceedings.

I could definitely see how a paid legal gig would be preferable to an unpaid legal gig because, well, money is nice. Also, a 1L SA position would be the most ideal because it's even more money and could lead to a full time offer.

However, in terms of prestige and experience, the impression I've gotten from attorney friends is that working for a [federal] judge is toward the top and certainly above small law. You could look into doing both, though, so you could get the best from both. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a split if you could intern with a judge one day week and work at the firm 4 days a week or something.

Regardless, I doubt doing PI 1L summer will hurt you if you're interested in corporate work for 2L. You just want to make sure your resume doesn't scream PERSONAL INJURY otherwise. If all of your interests and activities all point toward one narrow legal field, you can pigeonhole yourself. I highly doubt one job would do that, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:11 pm

Lwoods wrote:

You could look into doing both, though, so you could get the best from both. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a split if you could intern with a judge one day week and work at the firm 4 days a week or something.

Thanks, LWoods. I think I will look into trying a split like that, if possible.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
ran12 wrote:

No. It's better than working unpaid at the DA or [b]for a lot of judges[/b]. With the personal injury firm you'll get a firm experience and prob do some real work. A lot of DAs and judges just make you observe proceedings.

I'm not really sure where this notion comes from. I just got a job with a federal judge and she promised that there would be tons of writing and work for me to do, and everyone in the office gave me the same impression

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:38 pm

I've gotten the same impression, but there are posters on this board who have said all they did was write a bench memo or two and then observe court the rest of the time.

I am sure this experience varies incredibly by judge. Some will probably let you be very hands on and others will not.

That being said the majority of folks I have spoken to implied that their experience as an extern for a judge was incredibly positive. The overall sentiment was that employers were impressed in interviews and that substantively it was rewarding for them.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:46 pm

Seconding what Paulina wrote (as in I was told I'll be writing numerous bench memos and draft opinions from the very first week on), but of course, this will vary from judge to judge. I, too, would likely not have been interested in a primarily passive experience, so I understand your hesitation. Splitting sounds like a great idea if you can pull it off!

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:42 pm

Welp, that was my last scheduled interview today. Think it went okay, so fingers crossed. Now waiting for the two-week deadline to finally give up on this firm, while eyeing my books that I should be reading for the first day of class tomorrow...

I'm completely in denial that we start all this crap over again - freedom was nice.

Also, what should my game plan be now that I don't have any more interviews lined up and I've applied literally everywhere I can possibly think of (70+ apps)? Kind of lost and naively hopeful while I wait for the results of these interviews.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:43 pm

piccolittle wrote:Welp, that was my last scheduled interview today. Think it went okay, so fingers crossed. Now waiting for the two-week deadline to finally give up on this firm, while eyeing my books that I should be reading for the first day of class tomorrow...

I'm completely in denial that we start all this crap over again - freedom was nice.

Also, what should my game plan be now that I don't have any more interviews lined up and I've applied literally everywhere I can possibly think of (70+ apps)? Kind of lost and naively hopeful while I wait for the results of these interviews.

Tomorrow starts my third week of classes. Welcome back.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:48 pm

piccolittle wrote:Welp, that was my last scheduled interview today. Think it went okay, so fingers crossed. Now waiting for the two-week deadline to finally give up on this firm, while eyeing my books that I should be reading for the first day of class tomorrow...

Sent 170 apps and still no offer. So I think the best advice was:
YourCaptain wrote:keep firing until you have an offer.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:52 pm

NU released 1L LOLCI lottery results today. No surprise that I only got 1 interview considering there are only 8 "legal" positions , 2 of which are JAG, for 264 students.

I'm really wishing we had a pre-select system for legal employers right now. For some reason they are willing to let corporate employers use resume pre-selects, but not law firms.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:55 pm

bdubs wrote:NU released 1L LOLCI lottery results today. No surprise that I only got 1 interview considering there are only 8 positions, 2 of which are JAG, for 264 students.

I'm really wishing we had a pre-select system right now.

Yeah same here. I got one for Eimer Stahl. I didn't really put much thought into my prefs because there were only 3 Chicago places on there. If anything I'll get 20 minutes of interviewing experience out of this, but probably not a job.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:56 pm

Flips88 wrote:
bdubs wrote:NU released 1L LOLCI lottery results today. No surprise that I only got 1 interview considering there are only 8 positions, 2 of which are JAG, for 264 students.

Yeah same here. I got one for Eimer Stahl. I didn't really put much thought into my prefs because there were only 3 Chicago places on there. If anything I'll get 20 minutes of interviewing experience out of this, but probably not a job.

They are on our 1L OCI list as well.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:59 pm

guys, last year for me, i had no offer as of today. one month later i had state supreme court, fed district court, usao, fed coa, and 1l SA to choose from. trust me, do not stop applying. apply to every state you possible have connections to - fed agencies, state whatever you have to do. use the same "ties" paragraph, etc. honestly, the biggest time sink for this should be postage if they dont accept paper copies.

good luck

edit: make calls and follow up. dont email. call them. wait 2 weeks and call. i did this with a DAs office and a state court and it paid off. remember you only need 1

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:01 am

YourCaptain wrote:guys, last year for me, i had no offer as of today. one month later i had state supreme court, fed district court, usao, fed coa, and 1l SA to choose from. trust me, do not stop applying. apply to every state you possible have connections to - fed agencies, state whatever you have to do. use the same "ties" paragraph, etc. honestly, the biggest time sink for this should be postage if they dont accept paper copies.

good luck

edit: make calls and follow up. dont email. call them. wait 2 weeks and call. i did this with a DAs office and a state court and it paid off.

Which option did you choose?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:04 am

Haymarket wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

I have the interview next Monday. I'll post what types of questions were asked.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:05 am

Flips88 wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

I have the interview next Monday. I'll post what types of questions were asked.

That would be greatly appreciated. Ours isn't until early February.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:07 am

Also dropping Chicago Fed District judge letters in the mail this week and applying to some of Northwestern's clinics. I got one ding snail mail from a PILI place I applied that said they had filled everything already. Interviewed at 2 places last week and they said I'd hear over the next couple weeks.

I just want a jerb, preferably one I don't have to go into more debt to work.

Return to “Legal Employment”