The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
justhoping
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:38 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby justhoping » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:04 am

justhoping wrote:for those of you who applied to judges, did you make follow up calls?


anyone?

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby booboo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:21 am

ilovesf wrote:Now that you guys have grades are you going to be sending your unofficial transcript in with your apps? I am sending in my last batch of judicial apps in tomorrow, can't decide if I should send my grades or not because they don't even have what they want listed on the website.


In you case, you send the grades. I'm sure judges, through their clerks, will fit you in for an interview.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11779
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:14 pm

kapital98 wrote:What's the general grade cut-off for judicial externships?

I've put a considerable amount of effort in preparing my application for the first round of district court judges. If that doesn't work then I'll send a second batch to the remaining federal district/appellate judges in the region. Officially, applications are not accepted until February 1st in San Francisco.

I misunderstood the deadline but the career office clarified it - you should send your application in ASAP. They only accept them when you have your grades, and they can start contacting you for interviews February 1st. I asked them what the grade cut off was and they said there wasn't one really, or at least they weren't willing to tell me what it was.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11779
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:15 pm

justhoping wrote:
justhoping wrote:for those of you who applied to judges, did you make follow up calls?


anyone?

No, my career office told me not to do this for judges as most of them are really slow at getting back to you and you'll only annoy them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:35 pm

ilovesf wrote:
justhoping wrote:
justhoping wrote:for those of you who applied to judges, did you make follow up calls?


anyone?

No, my career office told me not to do this for judges as most of them are really slow at getting back to you and you'll only annoy them.


seriously ilovesf, you're the fucking judicial intern expert. I think it'll be a huge injustice if you don't get something--rooting for you.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Guchster » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:36 pm

oops that was me above. lol. wrong button.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11779
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
justhoping wrote:
justhoping wrote:for those of you who applied to judges, did you make follow up calls?


anyone?

No, my career office told me not to do this for judges as most of them are really slow at getting back to you and you'll only annoy them.


seriously ilovesf, you're the fucking judicial intern expert. I think it'll be a huge injustice if you don't get something--rooting for you.

:lol: I'm really not by any means, I just made an appointment with the career office and asked them every question I could think of about getting a judicial externship a couple of days ago. But thanks!

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:46 pm

kapital98 wrote:What's the general grade cut-off for judicial externships?

I've put a considerable amount of effort in preparing my application for the first round of district court judges. If that doesn't work then I'll send a second batch to the remaining federal district/appellate judges in the region. Officially, applications are not accepted until February 1st in San Francisco.

Are y'all certain about that Feb. 1 deadline? I had contact with a NDCA judge the week after Christmas.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11779
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:52 pm

sundance95 wrote:
kapital98 wrote:What's the general grade cut-off for judicial externships?

I've put a considerable amount of effort in preparing my application for the first round of district court judges. If that doesn't work then I'll send a second batch to the remaining federal district/appellate judges in the region. Officially, applications are not accepted until February 1st in San Francisco.

Are y'all certain about that Feb. 1 deadline? I had contact with a NDCA judge the week after Christmas.

It's for schools in northern california, you aren't allowed to send in your applications until you have grades, and they only contact you after February 1st. That's what it says on their website and what the career office says. I think the only judge who doesn't abide by that is Alsup.

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby kapital98 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:40 pm

ilovesf wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
kapital98 wrote:What's the general grade cut-off for judicial externships?

I've put a considerable amount of effort in preparing my application for the first round of district court judges. If that doesn't work then I'll send a second batch to the remaining federal district/appellate judges in the region. Officially, applications are not accepted until February 1st in San Francisco.

Are y'all certain about that Feb. 1 deadline? I had contact with a NDCA judge the week after Christmas.

It's for schools in northern california, you aren't allowed to send in your applications until you have grades, and they only contact you after February 1st. That's what it says on their website and what the career office says. I think the only judge who doesn't abide by that is Alsup.


Alsup is the only one who explicitly says he doesn't abide by the deadline. However, according to the person I spoke to in Career Services, other judges do break the rule and may interview you before February 1st.

jimmythecatdied6
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:47 pm

For those that haven't sent "application materials" out to judges at this point: there is still hope.

I spoke with about 50 secretaries today (E.D.N.Y./S.D.N.Y./E.D.VA/DC), and ~half said that judges wont make hiring decisions until February/March.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:48 pm

jimmythecatdied6 wrote:For those that haven't sent "application materials" out to judges at this point: there is still hope.

I spoke with about 50 secretaries today (E.D.N.Y./S.D.N.Y./E.D.VA/DC), and ~half said that judges wont make hiring decisions until February/March.


You called 50 secretaries today?

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby beachbum » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:38 pm

NYC Law wrote:
jimmythecatdied6 wrote:For those that haven't sent "application materials" out to judges at this point: there is still hope.

I spoke with about 50 secretaries today (E.D.N.Y./S.D.N.Y./E.D.VA/DC), and ~half said that judges wont make hiring decisions until February/March.


You called 50 secretaries today?


jimmythecatdied doesn't dick around, dude.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11779
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:25 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
kapital98 wrote:What's the general grade cut-off for judicial externships?

I've put a considerable amount of effort in preparing my application for the first round of district court judges. If that doesn't work then I'll send a second batch to the remaining federal district/appellate judges in the region. Officially, applications are not accepted until February 1st in San Francisco.

Are y'all certain about that Feb. 1 deadline? I had contact with a NDCA judge the week after Christmas.

It's for schools in northern california, you aren't allowed to send in your applications until you have grades, and they only contact you after February 1st. That's what it says on their website and what the career office says. I think the only judge who doesn't abide by that is Alsup.


Alsup is the only one who explicitly says he doesn't abide by the deadline. However, according to the person I spoke to in Career Services, other judges do break the rule and may interview you before February 1st.

Just goes to show that Career Services isn't helpful, every person working there will say a different thing.

jimmythecatdied6
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 am

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:32 pm

NYC Law wrote:
jimmythecatdied6 wrote:For those that haven't sent "application materials" out to judges at this point: there is still hope.

I spoke with about 50 secretaries today (E.D.N.Y./S.D.N.Y./E.D.VA/DC), and ~half said that judges wont make hiring decisions until February/March.


You called 50 secretaries today?


Yes. I figure a fifteen second conversation is worth the postage I would have wasted had a judge not been hiring.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11779
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:36 pm

How do local government internships look, like with the city attorney or state doj? I haven't seen anyone really talk about these around here

CreativityKing
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby CreativityKing » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:49 pm

Sorry if this has been answered already - some TLS searching yielded no satisfactory answer.

If one were to procure a 1L SA at a big firm, would that SA pay the same as a 2L SA at the same firm? Are 1L and 2L SAs basically treated the same, and get similar experience/work?

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Guchster » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:57 pm

Just got a V100 firm offer!!!!!!

Grueling set of interviews these last two weeks + combined with less than stellar grades had me doubting my chances for a while. But this is great news!

Any feedback on the way I should tactfully inform the other places I interviewed at that I need an offer within the next two weeks? I lack that skill on a virtual platform (okay, I probably lack it in real life too), in case my behavior on this forum was any indication of such.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby cinephile » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:57 pm

CreativityKing wrote:Sorry if this has been answered already - some TLS searching yielded no satisfactory answer.

If one were to procure a 1L SA at a big firm, would that SA pay the same as a 2L SA at the same firm? Are 1L and 2L SAs basically treated the same, and get similar experience/work?


You can check NALP to see what they pay 1L SAs. As for the type of work you'd do, you'd have to ask them.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:01 pm

ilovesf wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
kapital98 wrote:What's the general grade cut-off for judicial externships?

I've put a considerable amount of effort in preparing my application for the first round of district court judges. If that doesn't work then I'll send a second batch to the remaining federal district/appellate judges in the region. Officially, applications are not accepted until February 1st in San Francisco.

Are y'all certain about that Feb. 1 deadline? I had contact with a NDCA judge the week after Christmas.

It's for schools in northern california, you aren't allowed to send in your applications until you have grades, and they only contact you after February 1st. That's what it says on their website and what the career office says. I think the only judge who doesn't abide by that is Alsup.

Ah. Alsup is the judge I was referring to, so that makes perfect sense.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13605
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:38 pm

a) Can I put a Class %ile on my resume if the school doesn't provide any official cutoffs but I only know general cutoffs that are unofficial?

b) If a job posting only asks for me to send a resume and a transcript, should I write a cover letter or not?

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:42 pm

fed court interview offer today!

err i guess just an offer
Last edited by paulinaporizkova on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
$peppercorn
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby $peppercorn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Flips88 wrote:a) Can I put a Class %ile on my resume if the school doesn't provide any official cutoffs but I only know general cutoffs that are unofficial?

b) If a job posting only asks for me to send a resume and a transcript, should I write a cover letter or not?


not sure about a) but for b) I know for at least one firm I messed up by not sending a cover letter when they only asked for resume and unofficial transcript. I would say the cover letter should always go.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13605
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:46 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:fed court interview offer today!

So hot right now
Image

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Flips88 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:fed court interview offer today!

So hot right now
Image


how come that shit didn't work




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.