The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AlexanderSupertramp

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Scrounging change for stamps now...

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:24 pm

shock259 wrote:Sent 224 out today. Did resume + cover letter. Mail merged the cover letters w/ judge info. Mail merged labels and printed those too. It took literally all afternoon to stuff all those envelopes. I signed them all, but my signature is literally some scribbles and takes 0.5 seconds. I'm so good at folding paper into 3rds. I bought the sticky peel envelopes. Best extra $10 I've ever spent. Some of my labels got a little fucked up, so I had to handwrite a few.

Went to the post office today to mail them. I was hoping they had some automatic machine or something. Turns out, no. So I bought 230 stamps and went nuts. Pretty sure the postal staff thought I was crazy.

Oh well. Now I can focus on exams.

God dammit I've been outgunned. BACK TO THE MERGE

adonai

Postby adonai » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:27 pm

224?!?! Did you apply to all judges in your state? I sent out 14 today and I thought that was a lot, but I spent a lot of time doing research and drafting a quality cover letter. Quality not quantity for me.

Postby 071816 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:28 pm

I sent out ~36 externship apps. Took me forever and it was so damn expensive.
Last edited by 071816 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:28 pm

Sent out 0. Hope it won't bite me in the ass.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:39 pm

ph14 wrote:Sent out 0. Hope it won't bite me in the ass.

same.

I'm gonna take the focus on finals, worry about 1L job after finals approach. Hope I don't get screwed over, especially since my finals run until 2 or 3 days before Christmas

Hopefully being at a t-14 helps with that
Last edited by dabomb75 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:40 pm

Also, this was asked earlier, but got no replies so: does anyone know if diversity summer positions are as stringent with the December 1st deadline as regular big law jobs?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:42 pm

Thank God I only have to physically mail a few envelopes. Almost all of the jobs I'm applying to (not applying to any judges) specifically request that materials be emailed.

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:44 pm

I sent three. slacker.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:45 pm

dabomb75 wrote:Also, this was asked earlier, but got no replies so: does anyone know if diversity summer positions are as stringent with the December 1st deadline as regular big law jobs?

Depends on the programs, but largely no from what I have been told (disclaimer: 1L). Most want to see grades, so I don't think the timing is that crucial. Most set announcement dates way after grades come out anyway.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:47 pm

dabomb75 wrote:
ph14 wrote:Sent out 0. Hope it won't bite me in the ass.

same.

I'm gonna take the focus on finals, worry about 1L job after finals approach. Hope I don't get screwed over, especially since my finals run until 2 or 3 days before Christmas

Hopefully being at a t-14 helps with that

Haha hope so. I am going to send out a few over the weekend.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:57 pm

NYC Law wrote:
shock259 wrote:Sent 224 out today. Did resume + cover letter. Mail merged the cover letters w/ judge info. Mail merged labels and printed those too. It took literally all afternoon to stuff all those envelopes. I signed them all, but my signature is literally some scribbles and takes 0.5 seconds. I'm so good at folding paper into 3rds. I bought the sticky peel envelopes. Best extra $10 I've ever spent. Some of my labels got a little fucked up, so I had to handwrite a few.

Went to the post office today to mail them. I was hoping they had some automatic machine or something. Turns out, no. So I bought 230 stamps and went nuts. Pretty sure the postal staff thought I was crazy.

Oh well. Now I can focus on exams.

God dammit I've been outgunned. BACK TO THE MERGE

Exactly my thoughts

69Coronet

Postby 69Coronet » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:51 pm

Got my cover letter done and everything assembled to email about SA positions tomorrow morning.
I'm going to try and get all of mine out between 8 and 9am, we'll see how that works out.
I've gotta figure out what the hell I'm going to say in the body of the email, other than, "Uh, hi, random law student here. Here's my cover letter and resume, please read them and consider me for a job?! Sincerely, Desperate For A Summer Associate Position. Enclosures: Resume, Cover Letter, a small piece of my soul, and a shred of hope."

Eco

Postby Eco » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:00 am

You guys are spending all this money on stamps. You know it won't be until 2 or so years from now that you'll make that money back (hopefully)? lol.

headandshoulderos

Postby headandshoulderos » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:00 am

im not a 1L anymore but are any of you guys using Mailchimp? would be sick to track opens and stuff

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:14 am

This is counting chickens, but would a situation ever develop when you find yourself stuck with a less prestigious judge because they offered you something first before other judges responded.

I've always heard you can't turn down a judicial offer, but can you postpone or turn down an interview in order to interview somewhere more preferable first.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:This is counting chickens, but would a situation ever develop when you find yourself stuck with a less prestigious judge because they offered you something first before other judges responded.

I've always heard you can't turn down a judicial offer, but can you postpone or turn down an interview in order to interview somewhere more preferable first.

1L but - Yeah you can turn down interviews. But the general rule is not to apply to a judge you wouldn't want to work for. If you have an interview for a COA judge and a state trial judge then you prob should just cancel the state judge interview. If you take it and get an offer you really should accept.

But this shouldn't be too much of a problem since Federal Judges typically do all their hiring much earlier than state judges, so you should already know if you have a Federal Judicial offer prior to any state judge interview requests.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:20 am

What time can we email out our 1L SA cover letters/ resumes?

I believe I heard that sending at midnight is improper--the correct time to send is 1a? Is this true, or does that only apply for firms in the central time zone (if you're on the east coast). I have all of mine "save as draft' on gmail ready for me to click "send."

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:What time can we email out our 1L SA cover letters/ resumes?

I believe I heard that sending at midnight is improper--the correct time to send is 1a? Is this true, or does that only apply for firms in the central time zone (if you're on the east coast). I have all of mine "save as draft' on gmail ready for me to click "send."

Just send them in the morning. Jaysus.

headandshoulderos

Postby headandshoulderos » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:What time can we email out our 1L SA cover letters/ resumes?

#1Lproblems. Actually it's not a bad question, there are certain times that are better for email and it's been studied by marketing companies.

Here is a helpful link for you, but that doesn't mean this is beyond an acceptable level of neurosis.

http://kb.mailchimp.com/article/when-is ... nd-emails/

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:29 am

headandshoulderos wrote:

#1Lproblems. Actually it's not a bad question, there are certain times that are better for email and it's been studied by marketing companies.

Here is a helpful link for you, but that doesn't mean this is beyond an acceptable level of neurosis.

I'm pretty sure they open all the emails. The problem is what's inside.

headandshoulderos

Postby headandshoulderos » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:30 am

NYC Law wrote:
headandshoulderos wrote:

I'm pretty sure they open all the emails. The problem is what's inside.

8)

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:36 am

Midnight seems the most logical in that you want to be the first e-mail there when the hiring partner gets into work and checks his/her email first thing in the morning. Psychologically, only the first and last gets remembered, right?

rv11

Postby rv11 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:39 am

adonai wrote:

Midnight seems the most logical in that you want to be the first e-mail there when the hiring partner gets into work and checks his/her email first thing in the morning. Psychologically, only the first and last gets remembered, right?

People are sending them to hiring partners and not recruiting contacts?

69Coronet

Postby 69Coronet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:41 am

I'm debating about sending mine to both the hiring partner and the recruiting contact...

And ha, mine won't be there at midnight. I'm going to bed, I've got mine ready to go in the morning. If that's the difference between getting a 1L SA and not getting one, then it wasn't meant to be...

Return to “Legal Employment”