The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
justhoping

Bronze

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by justhoping » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:04 am

justhoping wrote:for those of you who applied to judges, did you make follow up calls?
anyone?

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:21 am

ilovesf wrote:Now that you guys have grades are you going to be sending your unofficial transcript in with your apps? I am sending in my last batch of judicial apps in tomorrow, can't decide if I should send my grades or not because they don't even have what they want listed on the website.
In you case, you send the grades. I'm sure judges, through their clerks, will fit you in for an interview.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:14 pm

kapital98 wrote:What's the general grade cut-off for judicial externships?

I've put a considerable amount of effort in preparing my application for the first round of district court judges. If that doesn't work then I'll send a second batch to the remaining federal district/appellate judges in the region. Officially, applications are not accepted until February 1st in San Francisco.
I misunderstood the deadline but the career office clarified it - you should send your application in ASAP. They only accept them when you have your grades, and they can start contacting you for interviews February 1st. I asked them what the grade cut off was and they said there wasn't one really, or at least they weren't willing to tell me what it was.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:15 pm

justhoping wrote:
justhoping wrote:for those of you who applied to judges, did you make follow up calls?
anyone?
No, my career office told me not to do this for judges as most of them are really slow at getting back to you and you'll only annoy them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:35 pm

ilovesf wrote:
justhoping wrote:
anyone?
No, my career office told me not to do this for judges as most of them are really slow at getting back to you and you'll only annoy them.
seriously ilovesf, you're the fucking judicial intern expert. I think it'll be a huge injustice if you don't get something--rooting for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:36 pm

oops that was me above. lol. wrong button.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
justhoping wrote:
anyone?
seriously ilovesf, you're the fucking judicial intern expert. I think it'll be a huge injustice if you don't get something--rooting for you.
:lol: I'm really not by any means, I just made an appointment with the career office and asked them every question I could think of about getting a judicial externship a couple of days ago. But thanks!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:46 pm

I've put a considerable amount of effort in preparing my application for the first round of district court judges. If that doesn't work then I'll send a second batch to the remaining federal district/appellate judges in the region. Officially, applications are not accepted until February 1st in San Francisco.
Are y'all certain about that Feb. 1 deadline? I had contact with a NDCA judge the week after Christmas.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:52 pm

sundance95 wrote:

Are y'all certain about that Feb. 1 deadline? I had contact with a NDCA judge the week after Christmas.
It's for schools in northern california, you aren't allowed to send in your applications until you have grades, and they only contact you after February 1st. That's what it says on their website and what the career office says. I think the only judge who doesn't abide by that is Alsup.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:40 pm

ilovesf wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

It's for schools in northern california, you aren't allowed to send in your applications until you have grades, and they only contact you after February 1st. That's what it says on their website and what the career office says. I think the only judge who doesn't abide by that is Alsup.
Alsup is the only one who explicitly says he doesn't abide by the deadline. However, according to the person I spoke to in Career Services, other judges do break the rule and may interview you before February 1st.

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze

Post by jimmythecatdied6 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:47 pm

For those that haven't sent "application materials" out to judges at this point: there is still hope.

I spoke with about 50 secretaries today (E.D.N.Y./S.D.N.Y./E.D.VA/DC), and ~half said that judges wont make hiring decisions until February/March.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:48 pm

jimmythecatdied6 wrote:For those that haven't sent "application materials" out to judges at this point: there is still hope.

I spoke with about 50 secretaries today (E.D.N.Y./S.D.N.Y./E.D.VA/DC), and ~half said that judges wont make hiring decisions until February/March.
You called 50 secretaries today?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:38 pm

NYC Law wrote:
jimmythecatdied6 wrote:For those that haven't sent "application materials" out to judges at this point: there is still hope.

jimmythecatdied doesn't dick around, dude.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:25 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

Alsup is the only one who explicitly says he doesn't abide by the deadline. However, according to the person I spoke to in Career Services, other judges do break the rule and may interview you before February 1st.
Just goes to show that Career Services isn't helpful, every person working there will say a different thing.

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze

Post by jimmythecatdied6 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:32 pm

NYC Law wrote:

Yes. I figure a fifteen second conversation is worth the postage I would have wasted had a judge not been hiring.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:36 pm

How do local government internships look, like with the city attorney or state doj? I haven't seen anyone really talk about these around here

CreativityKing

New

Post by CreativityKing » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:49 pm

Sorry if this has been answered already - some TLS searching yielded no satisfactory answer.

If one were to procure a 1L SA at a big firm, would that SA pay the same as a 2L SA at the same firm? Are 1L and 2L SAs basically treated the same, and get similar experience/work?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:57 pm

Just got a V100 firm offer!!!!!!

Grueling set of interviews these last two weeks + combined with less than stellar grades had me doubting my chances for a while. But this is great news!

Any feedback on the way I should tactfully inform the other places I interviewed at that I need an offer within the next two weeks? I lack that skill on a virtual platform (okay, I probably lack it in real life too), in case my behavior on this forum was any indication of such.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:57 pm

CreativityKing wrote:Sorry if this has been answered already - some TLS searching yielded no satisfactory answer.

If one were to procure a 1L SA at a big firm, would that SA pay the same as a 2L SA at the same firm? Are 1L and 2L SAs basically treated the same, and get similar experience/work?
You can check NALP to see what they pay 1L SAs. As for the type of work you'd do, you'd have to ask them.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:01 pm

ilovesf wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

Ah. Alsup is the judge I was referring to, so that makes perfect sense.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:38 pm

a) Can I put a Class %ile on my resume if the school doesn't provide any official cutoffs but I only know general cutoffs that are unofficial?

b) If a job posting only asks for me to send a resume and a transcript, should I write a cover letter or not?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:42 pm

fed court interview offer today!

err i guess just an offer
Last edited by paulinaporizkova on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$peppercorn

Bronze

Post by $peppercorn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Flips88 wrote:a) Can I put a Class %ile on my resume if the school doesn't provide any official cutoffs but I only know general cutoffs that are unofficial?

b) If a job posting only asks for me to send a resume and a transcript, should I write a cover letter or not?
not sure about a) but for b) I know for at least one firm I messed up by not sending a cover letter when they only asked for resume and unofficial transcript. I would say the cover letter should always go.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:46 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:fed court interview offer today!
So hot right now

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Flips88 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:fed court interview offer today!
So hot right now
how come that shit didn't work

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”