The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AreJay711

Gold

Re: The Official 1L Summer Employment Thread - 2012 Edition

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone ever heard of in-house counsel internships that pay at or near biglaw SA rates, respective to the market? Like at a major regional office for a Fortune 100 company or similar.
Yeah, I interviewed for one 8)

Didn't get hired :(

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:19 pm

Dany wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone ever heard of in-house counsel internships that pay at or near biglaw SA rates, respective to the market? Like at a major regional office for a Fortune 100 company or similar.
Yeah, a 2L I know had one last summer, and I know of at least 2 1Ls getting paid well for an in-house gig this summer. So they definitely exist, but are obviously hard to get.
How much is well-paid ? From what I know, even HP, Google, and other big companies that hire directly out of LS don't pay 160k. I think i heard it was more like 110-120k.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:23 pm

I don't know about starting salaries directly out of law school, and I didn't ask what they were paid. I know the one company is "slightly less than a biglaw SA" and not sure what the 2L I know was paid. It could be a lot less than the major market biglaw rate, but I got the impression it was well-paying.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:28 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:58 pm

My 1L summer internship at a global bank paid roughly 1500/week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:48 pm

I interviewed for a ton of paying gig, didn't get any :(

Technically I am still alive at 1 but I think 4 weeks of radio silence is an ominous sign, plus I already accepted a gig at a gov't place that I'm pysched to be working at.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:29 am

finally

*whew*

IronHBM

New

Post by IronHBM » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:13 am

Sent out 4 resume/cover letters
1: no response
1: "thank you, but no thank you"
2: interviews

I was offered a spot with the county prosecutor's office right after my interview, so I ended up never interviewing with the second office.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:19 am

Just chiming in to wish you all the best of luck! Don't let any fear or pessimism de-motivate you or make you lose hope.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:38 pm

1 application, 1 interview, 1 job offer with state Attorney General. I was quite lucky in that respect.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:14 pm

Any other 1L's still jobless?

arigoldwannabe

Bronze

Post by arigoldwannabe » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any other 1L's still jobless?
Yea buddy...

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:24 pm

For those still jobless, I suggest you cold call every place you're interested in. There are still fed. agencies and judges that are still hiring. Cold called almost 100 judges and got a fed. judge externship out of it. I'd say about 98% were done hiring, but I'd say it is worth the effort if you can find that one place that just started their hiring or still needs to fill in a spot. At this point, you can't afford to wait on a reply because most places won't even bother replying.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:35 pm

adonai wrote:For those still jobless, I suggest you cold call every place you're interested in. There are still fed. agencies and judges that are still hiring. Cold called almost 100 judges and got a fed. judge externship out of it. I'd say about 98% were done hiring, but I'd say it is worth the effort if you can find that one place that just started their hiring or still needs to fill in a spot. At this point, you can't afford to wait on a reply because most places won't even bother replying.
By cold call you mean just calling and asking whether they are still hiring or what?

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
adonai wrote:For those still jobless, I suggest you cold call every place you're interested in. There are still fed. agencies and judges that are still hiring. Cold called almost 100 judges and got a fed. judge externship out of it. I'd say about 98% were done hiring, but I'd say it is worth the effort if you can find that one place that just started their hiring or still needs to fill in a spot. At this point, you can't afford to wait on a reply because most places won't even bother replying.
By cold call you mean just calling and asking whether they are still hiring or what?
Yes. Calling each place should take no longer than 30 seconds. If they're still hiring, ask what materials they need, send it out, follow up a few days later to ask if they received it. A lot of times they'll say they're not hiring, but hiring for Fall/Spring, so in that case you knock out two birds if you plan to extern during the year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:48 am

I'm lucky enough to have one of these jobs for the coming summer. From what I understand, they prefer post-UG work experience. And yes, they don't pay as well as biglaw, but they do pay well. I would love to go directly in-house after LS. Sure, it means you'll never make partner at a big firm, sure it means that you'll never become GC, but it also means that you'll get $120k or so for like 50 hrs a week and basically no weekends. Also, it means that your employer isn't looking to replace you in 2-3 years.

edit: out of work 1Ls, be shameless. call places and ask to speak with the person in charge (ask for them by name, find their name by whatever means necessary). give them your 30 second "elevator pitch," tell them you'll work for free, and don't take no for an answer. I know people who have had luck doing this. Once you're done with finals, start going to the organizations in person. I know this may sound crazy to a lot of students, but employers really like to see this type of "go getter" attitude.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm lucky enough to have one of these jobs for the coming summer. From what I understand, they prefer post-UG work experience. And yes, they don't pay as well as biglaw, but they do pay well. I would love to go directly in-house after LS. Sure, it means you'll never make partner at a big firm, sure it means that you'll never become GC, but it also means that you'll get $120k or so for like 50 hrs a week and basically no weekends. Also, it means that your employer isn't looking to replace you in 2-3 years.
Yeah but in-house straight from law school positions are like giant squids. We have evidence that they exist, but no one ever sees one for real.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:54 am

shoeshine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah but in-house straight from law school positions are like giant squids. We have evidence that they exist, but no one ever sees one for real.
I understand that the chances are near nil. On the other hand, they're supposed to be a really good way to spend 1L summer. And i do know someone who went in-house immediately after LS. I am going to do everything in my power to turn my summer into a full time opportunity, but I know that you're right; in-house immediately after law school is borderline unicorn status.

edit: also, i'll be working 40 hours a week this summer. biglaw $ would be nice, but i'm looking forward to having a good time this summer even if it does mean less money.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:09 am

1L at CCN here working in-house this summer. $1,000 a week for 10 weeks at a F500 company. I think that's pretty much regular for in-house for 1Ls; its a 1/3 of what biglaw SA would pay.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
1L at CCN here working in-house this summer. $1,000 a week for 10 weeks at a F500 company. I think that's pretty much regular for in-house for 1Ls; its a 1/3 of what biglaw SA would pay.
That's roughly what I've been hearing. My friend at a tech company in SV is getting paid around $40/hr to work full time this summer.

Dale

New

Post by Dale » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:40 am

Before landing a nice SA spot I had applied for several judicial internships. During the past week I received replies from a couple of the judicial offices offering me a position. The point, judicial internships are still available. PBV, metropolitan area.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:59 pm

Finally got a job I'm super excited about! I had a PI offer open for a while that was something I didn't want to do at all and would hate having to explain during OCI, then had several things present themselves last week and got an offer today from a mid-sized firm in my school's city. Huge relief to finally have something I'm excited about for the summer!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:32 pm

Dany wrote:Finally got a job I'm super excited about! I had a PI offer open for a while that was something I didn't want to do at all and would hate having to explain during OCI, then had several things present themselves last week and got an offer today from a mid-sized firm in my school's city. Huge relief to finally have something I'm excited about for the summer!
Congrats! Glad to hear that you're staying in Chicago, summer in Chicago is awesome.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:16 am

Dany wrote:Finally got a job I'm super excited about! I had a PI offer open for a while that was something I didn't want to do at all and would hate having to explain during OCI, then had several things present themselves last week and got an offer today from a mid-sized firm in my school's city. Huge relief to finally have something I'm excited about for the summer!
Congrats! I know that dreaded feeling of keeping something open that you don't want while waiting for something exciting.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:22 am

bk187 wrote:
Congrats! I know that dreaded feeling of keeping something open that you don't want while waiting for something exciting.
There's some joke about buttsecks here that I'm not going to make.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”